medical worries

Guest markmet

Guest markmet

hi there

hoping someone can give me some advice, or wave a magic wand. we are due to go for medicals in a few weeks time, and our son who was attacked last year is refusing to have blood test, as he now has a fear of needles due to big operation after the attack. it has left him with psychological problems, but on the whole i think would have got through the medical if he did'nt have to have this blood test. if he fails medical we all do. He is 16 by the way and we are applying under 475 visa so we defo have to have blood tests, but dont see any way around it. any advice much appreciated.

thanks

chris.

Guest Nicky&Andy

i feel for you , this process is stressful enough,

maybe if you didnt mention jabs again to your son,just say your going for meds, you or your husband go first and explain to the doctoer about his reasons and phobia,(these doctors are very patient and will spend alot of time with you if needed ,after all were paying them enough) then let him go in on his own, my son was 16yr's and he went in on his own, sometimes when their alone they cope better,

i hope it goes well for you

Guest sandar1

Had the same problem with my oldest except he was 12 at the time. Went nuts when they tried to inject him ran out of the surgery with Mum in hot pursuit up the Seacombe Road, all the cars driving past blowing their horns and their occupants laughing (we had had to have lots of shots and tests after leaving India and enough was enough for him, and he also developed a phobia). Most schools these days have a psychologist (or check with your local doctor for the name of one) they can be really helpful, we were able to get help this way and have not had any problems since, they may be able to use hypnosis. Good luck.

Guest markmet

thanks guys

our son is already seeing a therapist/pyschologist, but he is still quite adament that he is not going to let anyone near him with a needle. we ave told him there is nothing to worry about and that it will over before he knows it. i guess the only thing we can hope for is that he agrees on the day, and take our chances. we have heard that they are quite sympathetic, and i am hoping they can win him round. he knows it has cost us a fortune to get this far, so it is a lot for him to live with if we fail because he would,nt go through with it. was wandering also if you may be able to also shed some light on another medical matter. my husband has informed me that th medical centre want to know last date of smear test. and it has just dawned on me where do i go for a smear test in aus. as i said in my earlier thread, we will be on 475 provisional visa. i know we get recipriocal cover whilst there, but will we be able to register with a g.p whilst there. all these things crop up along the way that you hadnt thought of. its never ending.

thanks again

chris

Guest sandar1

I spoke with my doctor's surgery the other day, because someone else had asked that I had as a client, they said that there would be no problem making an appointment with them and it was not necessary to pre-register. They are on Carrington Street in the city and I have found them to be excellent, very professional a number of women doctors there also which is great. They'll be able to do the smear test.

Sandra

Guest sandar1

Look I think the best thing to do is to find a psychologist who is into hynotherapy I went to one because of a phobia that I had and it worked, I have no recollection of it at all, and wasn't even aware that I had been Hypnotised until I came out of his room an hour later, and I thought I had been in there fo 10 minutes.

Sandra

I didnt think 16 year olds needed blood tests; i understood only those over 18 would require testing for hiv;hepb and other bbv's......................or those working in education/ health care industry...........

As a needle phobe myself, i can sympathise.................and i work with needles, in both my job and as an acupuncture therapist; how weird is that?

Good luck tho.

i know we get recipriocal cover whilst there, but will we be able to register with a g.p whilst there. all these things crop up along the way that you hadnt thought of.

chris

Yes, we are on a 475 and haved recently joined a GP surgery. You do get charged for appointments but can claim a % back via Medicare. Our appointments cost $51 and we can claim back $35.

Guest markmet

thank for advice guys.

as regards to my son and having blood test, after having a chat today he is still adament he isnt having blood test. he said he will only have it if they take blood from his finger but wont have it in is arm. my response was dont talk stupid, but my question is does anyone know if that is a possibility? or am i just clutching at straws now. just want it all to be over and done with. it would have been simpler if we could just knock him out through the procedure but they need his consent lol. any magic solutions greatfully recieved.

Thanks

chris

Guest mayjess

Get him a session with a hypnotherapist-I have helped a few with phobias such as spiders & needles, it really works as long as hes relaxed enough with the therapist,if hes not in deep relaxation it wont work!

Good luck

Mayjess

You could see if he could have something like Midazolam which would sedate him but he would also not remember what has happened. Ask your doc and ask your son if this would help. The problem with the finger prick method is the volume of blood they may need to collect. again discuss with your doctor. There is no point negating your son's phobia, but he needs to work through the anxiety.

Guest Aussie pat

Have you considered using local anaesthetic cream to numb the area before he has his test? I worked as a practice nurse in the UK for a while and we used it on all the children who needed blood tests and I never had a problem with kids getting upset. You could get your GP to give you a script for it and then apply it a while before the test to allow it time to work before he goes in. The amount of time required can vary between brands of cream. Usually you have to cover it with cling film, or a special dressing, to stop it wiping off whilst it's soaking in. I realise it won't completely overcome his psychological issues but it may be a useful prop.

Guest Trakki

He will not be able to have the blood test by finger prick as they need too much blood that they just would not get enough. The cream is a good idea, in the uk it is either Emla (leave on for an hour then remove) or Ametop (leave on for 20-30 mins then remove) the effect then lasts for a few hours. Other than that I can't really give any suggestions other that what has already been said. He knows how important it is so maybe if you don't make it too much of an issue on the day he will go through with it.

Good luck

Guest markmet

hi guys

just wanted to say thanks to all of you for your helpful advice. i like the idea of the cream to numb the area before jab, and i will mention this option to my son, who is at least now willing to listen to different options. he knows this means a lot so i like to think everything will go alright on the day, which cannot come to soon for me.

thanks again, and will let you know how it all goes after weve had the medicals.

chris

p.s thanyou also also to the nurse for the really useful info regarding smear tests. will save this info for when i am over in Adelaide.

OMG...really feel for you, as we were in a very similar situation with our daughter back in 2005.

Long story...but it was all thanks to a dreadful school nurse, who IMO should never have bee allowed to practice again...but hey that's another story!

Hannah was refered to a counsellor/psychologist kind of person at our local hospital. She attended the clinic once a week for a year...during this time we decided to emigrate and knew that Hannah would need all her vaccinations uptodate..and of course depending on when we had our meds...also a blood test.

It was a long haul....time went on...and i really feared that this would be our stumbling block. Vaccination dates were set at the hospital with the counsellor etc on hand. I even bribed Hannah with 100 pounds if she went though with it!! Well she did....and some of you may think i've been conned...but i could see the fear.....she had months & months of counselling before any money was mentioned! LOL

Anyway...she did it....was in a state during and afterwards...but she did it!

We were very lucky and managed to get our meds done 2 weeks before her 15th birthday...avoiding the blood test.

By the way....tried sedation, numbing cream etc........neither of them helped...it's all psycological..

Anyway, four years later....she still avoids injections.....i want her to have the cervical cancer one, but can i get her to do it?

BUT...is planning to have a tatoo done for her birthday in 2 weeks....now explain that one to me!!!!

Anyway, I wish you all the luck in the world......i really know what you guys are going through..