dentist won't hand over files!

cint&mark

... I popped into our dentists today to request our dental records for Aug when we fly , only to be told that they don't hand over records now and that in Australia they'll just simply start new ones for us... Is this the norm or are we actually entitled to get them? I didn't want to make a fuss there so just said 'Oh ok" , but thinking about it later , surely it'd save so much hassle for us [and the dentist we register with in Oz ] if we have our histories with us?? :err:

Jacinta

Guest jorose

You have a legal right to request a copy of them for a fee. Requests should be made in writing. Yourself and Mark will have to make individual requests because of confidentiality issues. However, you don't need to transfer dental records unless there is something particularly juicy you would like you new dentist to know about your previous dental history.

HTH

I wouldn't worry too much about it - I have just been to the dentist for the first time in 18 months and they were much more thorough than my UK dentist ever was. Word of warning though, we have private health insurance and a visit to the dentist for myself, hubby and children cost $100 gap for xrays for hubby and self. I went back and had clean and polish (lasted and hour - 2 hours in total, top ones and bottom ones, hour each) and then I needed two small fillings - they are white, cost after PHI contribution - $113! They were absolutely fantastic with the children who had a very thorough appointment, my youngest needed some seals putting on a couple of his teeth - gap was waived, and hubby just had a clean (with Medibank get 6 monthly checkups and 2 free clean and polishes per year)so no cost there. Dread to think what it would have cost without - gulp!

Lindsey

Thanks for the advice. Guess i'm stressing over nothing then [nothing 'juicy' enough about us to warrant the files!!] - so it's good to know that they aren't necessary. Thanks for that... I can go and worry about something else on the 'things to do before we leave' list now then ...:biglaugh::wacko: Jacinta

Guest jorose
Thanks for the advice. Guess i'm stressing over nothing then [nothing 'juicy' enough about us to warrant the files!!] - so it's good to know that they aren't necessary. Thanks for that... I can go and worry about something else on the 'things to do before we leave' list now then ...:biglaugh::wacko: Jacinta

Yeah don't worry then if nothing 'juicy'. Your new dentist will just start again.

Glad you can stop worrying now.

See you soon.

PS We also came from Oldham and there is no comparison. :v_SPIN:

Don't worry, one of our friends is a dentist and he says it's not necessary that any good dentist can see what happened and if you have any issues.