Building in SA

Guest mark&rachel

Guest mark&rachel

Hi ya all, new to this site so bear with us if we have messed up!!!

Im hoping to move over to SA sometime next year. What is the true cost of building a 3/4 bed house? Plot, building costs etc?

Looking on the net can be so confusing.

Is it better than buying a house?

Be Greatful for any help. Just one of the many confusing things i could cross off in my mind!

Regards

:err:

Guest doje6863

Hiya, this is such a vague answer because youre question is open to so many factors, so will do the best I can. Depends on the size of land, obviously. Expect to pay $180k for 600sq metres in some suburbs, $180k for 250sq mts in others. House prices vary, but expect to add prob 20% on top of what you are quoted originally. Upgrading bathrooms,heating,tiles and work tops can be very expensive. Of course, their are people here that have built fantastic homes for less, but in my 10month experiance of trawling round display villages,meeting with architects and designers, I would say expect to pay upwards of $375k.

Hope that starts you off in the right direction. If you really wanted to tease yourself have a look at Devine,Homestead,Format and AV Jennings. They are builders that do a lot of the houses round here (amongst others).

donna

Hi ya all, new to this site so bear with us if we have messed up!!!

Im hoping to move over to SA sometime next year. What is the true cost of building a 3/4 bed house? Plot, building costs etc?

Looking on the net can be so confusing.

Is it better than buying a house?

Be Greatful for any help. Just one of the many confusing things i could cross off in my mind!

Regards

:err:

Just from personal experience, get quotes, tot it all up and then add 60k because that's for all the stuff apart from the 4 walls! If we were to do it again we'd just buy as it's less hassle I think. The flipside is that when finished a lot of them have increased in value but not always. It represents a gamble.

rich

we have purchased a plot of land 560 sq/mts and a house, all in costing us $322,000, that air con, tiles, carpets abount the only thing it does not include is landscaping and water tank.

Thats down on The Bayswood Estate @ Aldinga Beach.

You will be amazed at how much prices do vary, one of the big things here is footings i have one mate that has been quoted $30,000 thats just for materials...

Shop around and get some quotes for where you want to live.

Guest nishman

It's character building :)

As others have said, shop around and try to budget for everything... I'd say, with plot sizes getting smaller, take a good look at the lie of the land (maybe with an "expert") to see what if any retaining walls you're going to need. Ours looked relatively flat, but by the time they cut in (to get the driveway at a maximum of 1:4), we needed some big walls on one side and the back and had to find an extra $20k!

The memory of the rentals (hate living in a borrowed house for an extended time), and the frustrations is just starting to fade after 4 months in the new house. I must admit, it is nice to see it all coming together from the blank canvass :)