Our daughter's family sponsorship application has been in since October 2008 and, unfortunately, we haven't had any response yet either.
Her visa is a 475 Provisional - I can't understand why the skilled family sponsorships have been pushed down the queue either, as I agree with others that they will be no drain on the Govt whatsoever. A 475'er HAS to find work to have any chance of becoming permanent two years down the track. If they are willing to take the risk and they have family to support them, then why stop them. If they fail, they go back; if they succeed then good on 'em ....and isn't that the result the Australia Govt wants anyway?
There are jobs out there (skilled jobs) that AREN'T being filled by local unemployed people but, unfortunately for potential migrants, there are very few employers that are willing to go down the employer sponsorship route. It's a chicken and egg situation with no immediate solution.
Anyway, good luck to all you others caught in this very frustrating situation.
PS I didn't quite understand the broadband question. We have had broadband here in Adelaide for years.
Last edited by Kazzarazza; 08-07-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Thanks for the advice. To switch to state sponsored, is it a whole new application and fees?
Yes its a new online application, but no fees! hooray, something for nothing at last!
The link is www.migration.sa.gov.au then check out the link that says migrate from oversea's it talks you through everything.
Any questions give me a shout, we sent our application by courier on Monday, so we will wait and see what they say.
Good luck keeping my fingers crossed for you!
We applied for a family sponsored 176 in July last year. We didn't get looked at at all for 7 months then only because we happened to be on the first version of the CSL. we got a CO and everything changed to met. On 10/3 it looked like we were 2 days away from a grant. Then the CSL changed and we dropped off it. Our agent then advised us to convert to state sponsored as after 9 months of waiting we definately wanted to move during 2009 - we simply didn't want to wait over 18 months. So we converted to SS and then waited another 4 months until 1/7 to get a CO. Finally we've got our visa !
If you want to get there within the next 7 months I'd definately look at SS. There are no guarantees when DIAC will process family 176s at all. I'm so glad we took our agents advice. I think we'd have at least another 12 months wait ahead of us if we hadn't.
Hope this helps you.