spouse to be visa

Guest bubbles

Guest bubbles

Is anyone going through the process at the moment of applying for a visa on the grounds of marrying an Australian? If so how complicated is it and is it taking ages. My man is coming over in Sept to propose to me, Im so happy but scared at the same time. Any advise please.....

Guest cazzie
Is anyone going through the process at the moment of applying for a visa on the grounds of marrying an Australian? If so how complicated is it and is it taking ages. My man is coming over in Sept to propose to me, Im so happy but scared at the same time. Any advise please.....

Hello there,

Congratulations - you must be so excited about the proposal! The same thing happened to me, only Bill proposed to me in Adelaide when I came here for a holiday. Bill came over to England in the March, we applied for the Spouse visa in May and it had all come through by July. The only hold up was that my son Daniel (who was not coming) still had to have a medical as he was slightly under 18, but other than that, it was all simple, straightforward and smooth. We applied ourselves with no agent involved to save money so it really wasn't complicated at all. We did have to prove that we were a couple but we had hundreds of emails (up to 8 a day for 2 years!!) so that convinced them. Good luck with everything, but as long as you fill in the forms carefully and provide evidence of a relationship, it should be plain sailing.

:)

Guest nickyblue

Hello, and congrats! I was in a simlar position. Like Cazzie we put the application together ourselves with a little bit of help from LiveinAustralia.com (they have an online service where you can email questions and get advise from a registered agent) The application is straight forward though and as long as you can prove you have been in a serious relationship for a year (photos, emails, stat decs from friends.) that seems to be the big decider. If your partner is in a different country to you make sure you email and phone lots (not skype as you need to be able to show an itemised bill or emails) I only say that because the visa agent told us they are keen to see information on how we kept our relationship going during our time apart. All in all it was a quick process and once we got our finished application fee in I had my visa in 12 days! I applied whilst in Australia on a working holiday visa I am not sure if it takes any longer if you apply outside of Australia.

Good luck with it all and if you need any advice or help with the visa app PM me - ours went through November last year so its all still quite fresh in my head!

Nic

Guest cazzie

Hi,

Great advice Nickyblue, I wish we had known about the advice line for queries as we might have picked up on having to do an unnecessary medical for my son. If we had not have had that setback, we worked out that the visa would have taken about four weeks all in and that's from England, so Bubbles, be reassured that it is a quick process for a Spouse visa, just as some lovely people on here reassured me at the time.

• 5 months later...
Guest badlands

dear nic,hi just need some advice on spouses visa im a aussie citizen uk orignally been here 9 years in perth adelaide 2 months wife due out on jan 16 we plan on applyin while she is overhere we got married last dec both been to and fro to uk to sort things out ive kept in touch by phone using ozcall but didnt keep bits of paper reciepts and recently been usin web cam to talk to each other do u hav to print emails off to show them and any other advice wud b great wife has 2 sons aged 28 30 does she need a stat deck from them not sure about few things thanks einer