• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree1Likes

Thread: When to arrive

Title
      Liked
      30 times
      Rep
      when we came over right upto 5 days before we flew we didnt know if we were comin or not, house had sold and was due to complete on the tues, friday before was told our buyers buyer hadnt even had mortgage approved, so we hadnt been able to book anything, so our last week in uk went summat like this

tues- buyers buyer mortgage finally approved and contracts signed
      wed - packed the few things we was bringing with us anything we hadnt sold by this time went in a skip
      thurs- house completed, moved in with mum for few days
      fri- booked flights and two weeks in caravan park
      mon- flew from heathrow
      wed- arrived in adelaide to rain

hadnt a clue what was gonna happen after that, felt like we packed up our life in that last week cos right upto the death we didnt know if it was gonna happen, luckily it did, and we havent looked back, its worked for us and we wasnt organised at all cos of way things went, so u sound like you are already one step ahead of us, caravan park wasnt that bad although small its a roof over ya head til u get sorted, and finding a rental can be a bit of a chore but u will find something eventually, just takes lots of viewings til the right one turns up, least it will be warmer in oct than it was for us in april :) surprising how different u will feel with the sun shining

go for it i say and good luck when u arrive, hope it all goes well for you all:)

Dawn x
      Dawn (40) Chat Host, Andy (38) Electrician,Jake(16)Jessica(10)Molly(9) arrived in adelaide 30th april 2008, living in seaford and loving life!!

Title
      Liked
      436 times
      Rep
      Thanks so much to everyone for you replies. My hubby thinks I am mad needing reasurance but it is a big thing we are doing but the right thing.

I am glad I got my feelings out there as I feel so much better about it. This weeks job getting quotes for removal than we too can just go once Visa sorted and if Tyke's rental is still available we may go there ;-0

There is so much to do but if we do a bit each week once we have the visa we are all set.

Thank you and yes can't wait for summer down there it is currently raining here and has been for about a week! :-(

Thanks
      Michelle, Phil, Nathan, and Libby. PR175 arrived Oct 2009
      http://rideabikeright.com.au/

Title
      Liked
      243 times
      Rep
      We arrived beginning of November....with 4 kids in tow...aged 2, 6, 10 & 15 at the time. We booked 2 weeks at Brighton Caravan Park....lovely spot, right on the beach. Hired one of their log cabins there...

Of course, being November, the weather was pretty warmish.....it was great to be there, because we could spend the day, doing the usual stuff you have to do when you arrive...looking for a rental, car etc...getting a general feel of where you want to be...then coming home later to the beach right on your front door step...great for the kids to unwind and of course yourselves!!!

That's what i'd recommend anyway...
      Arrived November 2005........live in Happy Valley

Title
      Liked
      830 times
      Rep
      Logically the best time to move is September 21st (the equinox). The days in both places are of equal length, so its easier to adjust, plus you get 2 summers in a row.

Like wise the best time to return to the UK is March 21st. Having gone from long English summer days to Adelaide mid-winter, and vice-versa, it seems to make the jetlag so much worse. However if you move in September you miss the Autumn leaves and bonfire night and Halloween, so maybe early November would be a good time too.
      Backpacked round Australia 1992. Married Australian husband in Adelaide 1994. Lived in Adelaide 1994-1997. Moved back to UK & lived in Essex/Herts 1997-2009. Returned to Adelaide November 2009. 2 kids dual nationality.

Title
      Liked
      240 times
      Rep
      Bonfire night!! Oh how i DON"T miss that!!! With loads of neds setting off fireworks for 3 weeks in the run up to it, and then another week afterwards!!!! lol

Sazzle76
      Quote Originally Posted by Anne B View Post
      Logically the best time to move is September 21st (the equinox). The days in both places are of equal length, so its easier to adjust, plus you get 2 summers in a row.

Like wise the best time to return to the UK is March 21st. Having gone from long English summer days to Adelaide mid-winter, and vice-versa, it seems to make the jetlag so much worse. However if you move in September you miss the Autumn leaves and bonfire night and Halloween, so maybe early November would be a good time too.
      We arrive on 20 Sept! so just in time for 21st!!!
      I cant wait to feel a bit of sun on my body, we had an amazing hot 10 day summer in the UK. 10 days.. aarrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh what on earth is going on?

•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Copyright 2006 - 2015 Australia Migration Forums