How Do You Find A Really Nice Rental ?

Guest Ledges

Guest Ledges

Hey I know it sounds a bit dumb but I've been looking on the real estate sites and I'm not really having much luck.

We arrive 21/9 and with 3 kids - 2 of which are teeneagers with high expectations and I really don't want all their dreams to come crashing down as soon as we land because we've struggled to egt somewhere really nice.

I know some of you've already done this - Any tips ??? Where would be good etc.

Cheers mateys.

Guest redfoxy

You arrive at a good time for teenagers, because they want the beach weather etc, so it may be a bit cool when you first arrive but it will improve everyday.

The only way to get a good rental is be prepared to pay well over $ 300 a week and you have to look at them and the area carefully.

We are on a roundabout and the traffic disturbs our sleep, so thats a tip, look out for tyre marks on the roads and busy traffic.

Teenagers would love a pool no doubt, again there are rentals with pools around.

Most agents won't take a lot of notice of you before you arrive. I'd suggest renting somewhere furnished for a few weeks (4-6 recommended) when you first arrive, and spend some time driving around checking out suburbs. Once you find a rental, you can easily be in within a matter of a couple of weeks, but it's much better to sort this after you arrive than before imho.

Depending on where you think you might be working, have a look at Tyke's places http://www.auseelife.com.au/ (in the south) or if you need somewhere further north/west have a look at Donna's places http://www.realestateowners.net.au/ You can book with both of these before you arrive.

Much nicer to arrive to a furnished place anyway, as even the nicest unfurnished rental is going to feel a bit bare and bleak before your furniture arrives/gets bought.

Diane

Guest Lee and Claire

Hi. We had a furnished rental for 3 weeks when we arrived but we were rushed into getting a rental. Although we managed to get one on time it might have been a bit easier if we had longer. You certainly need to take time to have a good look at the houses. You get a lot of private rentals in the Advertiser paper but you will have to be here to look at them.

Claire

Guest The Pickles

We booked 2 months rental with Roo Rentals via the internet in the UK as we didn't want the extra stress of finding somewhere to live quickly.

We had an idea where we wanted to rent long term and luckily for us, we saw a property advertised on realestate.com.au in our first week and it's ours! We went to the open viewing, filled in the application, wrote a letter to the landlady saying how much we loved her house and how it was perfect for our family, attached references from previous landlords and a neighbour and what I imagine clinched the deal, we offered 6 months rent in advance because we really didn't want to lose that particular house.

Bring along references if you can and definitely go for the personal touch if you really, really see a property you like. As everyone else has said, drive around and see what areas you like. If you need access to public transport, look out for trams, trains, buses close by.

I wish you luck!

Marilyn

Most agents won't take a lot of notice of you before you arrive.

I've been quite surprised actually....i'm currently helping friends who arrive next month, to secure a rental before they arrive.....and i've spoken to a few agents who have said they have organised rentals for people who havent arrived yet, and have said it's no hassle at all...and those that havent, have been positive about it as well...

But at the end of they day, its not down to the agent...landlord makes final decision...

Just a word of warning....they make those pics on the website look so bloody good! If you have someone you can really trust to view properties on your behalf, then you could try that?