advise "dental costs" in Adelaide please!!

Guest cunnah10

Guest cunnah10

Just after a bit of info please....my main question is "how much will it cost out there to have my 12 year old referred & fitted with a brace" ??

Here in the UK it is completely free....BUT i believe it comes at a "cost" out there in Adelaide?:mad:

I have just been to the dentist today with myself & 4 kids......that included 5 examinations,2 x clean & polish(myself & 12 yr old)....and 2 large fillings replaced (for myself) ...COST NOTHING!!!:v_SPIN:

Curious what this would have cost out there?

Also curious what costs are involved for a 10 year old that needs regular check ups at the opticians with new prescription glasses probably every 12 months at the mo (again FREE in the UK)

NOT COMPLAINING...JUST WANT TO PREPARE MYSELF!!!:notworthy::notworthy:

Gill

Guest doje6863

Hi, we have medical inscurance and pay $200 for our family of four a month, for that you get most simple dental for free (up to a certain amount and through our provider, not all companies offer that) My daughter has a brace and as we didnt want to wait a year to get the orthodontics benefits, we are paying $5000 for her treatment. X rays are extra. She did have teeth removed in preparation for the brace for free via the school system. You dont need to be referred over here, just contact which orthodontist you want to use, and of course the best way is through recommendation. Im not sure when you're planning on coming or where you may settle, but we use Dr Guy Burnett on North Terrace in the city. He may be a bit above the average price, but we are incredibly happy with Gracies treatment so far.

Hope that helps?

donna

Just after a bit of info please....my main question is "how much will it cost out there to have my 12 year old referred & fitted with a brace" ??

Here in the UK it is completely free....BUT i believe it comes at a "cost" out there in Adelaide?:mad:

I have just been to the dentist today with myself & 4 kids......that included 5 examinations,2 x clean & polish(myself & 12 yr old)....and 2 large fillings replaced (for myself) ...COST NOTHING!!!:v_SPIN:

Also curious what costs are involved for a 10 year old that needs regular check ups at the opticians with new prescription glasses probably every 12 months at the mo (again FREE in the UK)

Gill

just after a bit of info please....my main question is "how much will it cost out there to have my 12 year old referred & fitted with a brace" ??

Here in the uk it is completely free....but i believe it comes at a "cost" out there in adelaide?:mad:

I have just been to the dentist today with myself & 4 kids......that included 5 examinations,2 x clean & polish(myself & 12 yr old)....and 2 large fillings replaced (for myself) ...cost nothing!!!:v_spin:

Also curious what costs are involved for a 10 year old that needs regular check ups at the opticians with new prescription glasses probably every 12 months at the mo (again free in the uk)

not complaining...just want to prepare myself!!!:notworthy::notworthy:

Gill

hi yes your right dentists are expensive over here just had

a quote for rebuilding a tooth one thousand dollars plus

have had a run of bad luck in the dental area since being here

spent a fortune cost for pulling out a tooth one hundred

and thirty dollars

every check up is about one hundred and thirty dollars with

a clean and polish so quiet expensive although i was a regular

in the uk at the dentist so things were okay when we left

the kids can getschool dentist work done just basics at a cheeper

price

the state give you vouchers for teenagers teeth health once

a year so that covers an appointmentfor basic care

dont know prices on braces but loads of teenagers have them

over here

after all that the service me and my family have recieved was

very good could have been seen on the same day on one occasion

sorry dont know about options

best of luck

Hi Gill,yes it costs a fortune here to see a dentist.As soon as you are in the Chair the charges begin unabated,pay for oral exam to start,plus x-rays($40.00 each).Then the work that needs to be done.I thought UK Dentists were expensive till i heard my dentist talking telephone figures last week for work that i don't particularily feel needs to be done($5000 plus).I dont know how anyone can go about finding a cheaper one than another,as you will pay a small fortune each time just to find out what costs you will eventually pay for work.Still,lets face it,Dentists are expensive in most westernised countries,unfortunately.

Guest graandjac

Gill

Gill how did it cost nothing ...!!! even on the NHS dental care isn't free, it might be a little bit cheaper than private....????

Gill how did it cost nothing ...!!! even on the NHS dental care isn't free, it might be a little bit cheaper than private....????
I was wondering the same thing. I think it used to be kids free , adults pay a set reduced fee per item...........unless your on benefits............unless that has changed:)

Guest cunnah10
hi gill,

my daughter went to the school dentist and really needs to have a tooth pulled out and be fitted with a brace and i was quoted $5,000, he said it is not cheap! I told him we were returning to the uk and he said it would be much cheaper to get it done there! Btw we have been unemployed and have concessions and this does not help unless the teeth are severely causing problems to the child's welfare i was told. As we are going back hooray! Will get it all sorted there, i hope this helps

i am gobsmacked......$5000 for a brace!!!!

But thanks for replying as at least i will have time to get over the shock!!

Guest cunnah10
Another Dental question please.

Does it cost more for dental treatment if you are on a provisional visa rather than pr?.

Thanks

I would like to know this also please!!

Guest cunnah10

because of the "job situ" here ... or should i say "LACK OF" ... we are now on benefits ... so we have a card now that entitles us to FREE DENTIST & FREE PRESCRIPTIONS...this is something that we have NEVER had before!!

hence the reason our recent trip to the dentist was FREE!!!

Guest graandjac
because of the "job situ" here ... or should i say "LACK OF" ... we are now on benefits ... so we have a card now that entitles us to FREE DENTIST & FREE PRESCRIPTIONS...this is something that we have NEVER had before!!

hence the reason our recent trip to the dentist was FREE!!!

Same as here then , I was un-employed for two weeks a while back and when I let mamily assistance know we had a consession card through, for free everything. Iam sure you would settle for a job over free dentists.

Guest pushbutton

I was delighted to see in the news last week that the Australian government is finally giving serious consideration to including dentist costs in medicare (the Australian equivelent of the NHS).

Not before time. I am of the very strong opinion that everyone has a right to free dental care in a decent civilised society, and it looks like if this goes ahead, that may finally happen.

If it does, I would say the situation with dentists in Adelaide will then be considerably BETTER than it is in most parts of England.

Guest nurse sue

yeah, in the uk if you are on a low income you get free dental. when my oh was out of work earlier this year and i was on a low income (less that £12K) we claimed working family tax credits and got a free nhs treatment card. kids get free treatment anyway (under 16), but nhs dental treatemtn is cheap anyway - they have 3 (I think?) levels of treatment/payment - the max you pay for any course of treatement is about £180ish ... pretty good if you can actually find a dentist to register with!