Anyone Do A Reccie Visit First?

Guest Kevin Quinn

Guest Kevin Quinn

Hi Everyone,

we're kicking around the idea of doing a reccie visit in September - it'll be a whirlwind visit of one week and we want to make it meaningful. We'd be intending to tour a top five list of areas to live and will try to make an appointment with some schools in those areas just to get a better feel for the place.

Anyone make a similar trip and if so do you have any tips or cautions you could share?

Kev

Although a week is no where near enough to do all you should do and you will be in holiday mode we found it really helpfull when we did similar as it helped get the "rosy sunglasses" off when you do actually arrive. If like us never been to anywhere in Oz before when you read comments and see pictures it can make it seem like paradise. While we have never regretted it since arriving and still know we have done the right thing it certainly helped in actually seeing things first hand so the "its not what we expected" thoughts when you do arrive and it helped knowing which way to go when you land at the airport with the kids in tow! It depends on what you expect in your minds as to what you will see when you land. Its not all sandy beaches, palm trees and BBQ's

If you can afford it personally i would go for it. But as normal only you can decide if it will be money well spent.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Personaly i would say a reccie is a must.

We did and it was the best thing we done however 1 week will not be long enough.

We took 2 weeks and that still wasnt long enough realy but we did manage to find out lots of stuff and both of us aranged interviews with prospective employers for when we were here on the reccie. We found the best way of getting the real picture was to talk with the locals not poms.

Its a major move and the make and break of all relationships if both parties dont agree on the idea.

We are so glad we made the move as we are both in very good jobs, the dogs are happy and were buying a house that we could only dream of having in the UK.

Its worked out well for us but it doesnt for everyone so i would say a reccie for peice of mind at least.

HI - we did a reccie to validate the visa last yr for 6 weeks July/Aug as we hadn't sold our house. For us it really took the rose tinted glasses off [ which I think is important!] and really made us question did we actually want to make the move or not. Between this trip and the previous visit to Adelaide 4 yrs ago , we noticed a massive change in the cost of things - it way way more expensive and we had nearly two weeks of SOLID rain which was a bit grim coming from that in England! Ok... It was Adelaide winter and I appreciate that ... but the reality and enormity of what we were planing to do really hit home. I for one am really grateful for that experience cos as we are actually making the move now [in 5 weeks time - eek] I don't have any unrealistic expectations about what to expect and it's all quite scary [naturally]- particularly on the job front [OH is a Sec Teacher ]... but we still want to try and are prepared for things beings really tough. I'd rather be realistic! Basically if you can afford to do it , I would... because although you'll only have a week , I think it'll give you a real feel for the place and how life might be for you. Good luck with everthing anyway and excuse the babble!!! Jacinta

Guest BAZnDAF

We are doing a Reccie, more through need than anything else as we need to validate our visa's. At first I was annoyed I would have to spend a lot of money to validate them, but I am looking forward to going now and having a look around, and trying to set up meetings regarding employment.

Barry

Guest graandjac

I reckon it's best to do a reccie, but not to alarm the many that cant aford it..., a week will be pushing it because if you (which most will) get jet lag the first few days will be a bit of a blur, you need to have some enjoyment in your trip as it really is a odd trip....!!!! seeing your future life for the first time. good luck :)

Guest soggy

Hi,

we did not do a reccie, could not find the time and keen to make the move for good, I think if you have a clear vision of what Adelaide will be like, what your house will be like ect you should go on a reccie if you can, to see if your vision is anything close to reality. We did lots and lots of reserch but new we were taking a leap into the unknown and had few expectations, a short visit may help remove rose tinted sunny's or not, I think the most important thing is when you do make the move for good, bring an open mind.

Simon:):) 17 months in, so far, so hard so great, getting better all the time.

Guest Kevin Quinn

Thank you everyone,

I think the reccie is now a must - its being driven more out of nessessity as we are in a bit of a court battle over my step daughter....and as you can imagine the question of "how do you know what its like if you've never been there" has been bandied about...... so yesterday i declared to baristers that "feck it" we'll fly over and take a look.

I think we'll push it out to two weeks - money isnt the issue.....we're not well off, (saving hard like all of ye), but its a case of the Court proceedings will set us back 10,000 and the trip will set us back another few grand - but if we dont go we've a higher chance of loosing the case and not getting the visa anyway.

Guest Lisado

Hi there

We aren't doing a reccie. We come overin 6 weeks and decided to just bite the bullet. We certainly don't have rose tinted glasses on, have done lots and lots of research and know we wont just step off the plane and every thing will be hunky dory.

Good luck with the court hearing. I have been very lucky as my ex husband just signed a Stat Dec to say he is happy for us to bring my son over

Lisa

Guest graandjac
Thank you everyone,

I think the reccie is now a must - its being driven more out of nessessity as we are in a bit of a court battle over my step daughter....and as you can imagine the question of "how do you know what its like if you've never been there" has been bandied about...... so yesterday i declared to baristers that "feck it" we'll fly over and take a look.

I think we'll push it out to two weeks - money isnt the issue.....we're not well off, (saving hard like all of ye), but its a case of the Court proceedings will set us back 10,000 and the trip will set us back another few grand - but if we dont go we've a higher chance of loosing the case and not getting the visa anyway.

It sounds like you are very determined to get to Adelaide with a few more hurdel's than most, good luck:)