Skills Assessment - Agency V's DIY

Guest surhythms

Guest surhythms

Hi There

We are thinking about starting the process to get our visas approved!!

We have been looking at various things including agents etc and costs.

I need to get my skills assessed through vetassess and my parnter through ACS

Can anyone tell me the advantages of using an agent at this stage of the game

thanks everyone

Suzanne:D

Hi, we used an agent. Very useful indeed, check all your paperwork for you make sure you have all the right things in the right places so you get nothing sent back for been wrongly filled in. The only minus is the cost, so it just depends if you want to spend the extra cash.

We started the process in March and are just waiting for a case officer now so things are moving quickly.

We used Ian Harrop, very friendly and helpful.

Hope this has helped.

Andrew

Guest MarkIngram

a lot of the agents will chat to you initially as they want the business. Get all the questions you have answered by them, then do it yourself. My wife and I did our own...it was fairly straight forward if a little time consuming.....saved us a fortune though.

Guest BAZnDAF

It really depends on the qualifications you have. If you have to get recognition for all the years you have worked and detail everything you have done it might be good to have someone checking it, however, if you have degree qualifications then it can be quite straight forward, so it really depends on your pesonal circumstances.

Speak to an agent for free and get some info from them.

Barry

We did it ourselves - seemed like a lot of money to have someone check the details, especially when we were given duff info about my skills assessment from the two agents we initially spoke with. This didn't exactly fill us with confidence so we went it alone. Perhaps ours was a straightforward case (my skills were assessed through AIM) but it was painless enough. The hardest part was gathering all the info, but we'd have needed to do that regardless of whether we went alone or through an agent.

Jim

Guest Woody and Jane
We did it ourselves - seemed like a lot of money to have someone check the details, especially when we were given duff info about my skills assessment from the two agents we initially spoke with. This didn't exactly fill us with confidence so we went it alone. Perhaps ours was a straightforward case (my skills were assessed through AIM) but it was painless enough. The hardest part was gathering all the info, but we'd have needed to do that regardless of whether we went alone or through an agent.

Jim

That's so true, the hardest part of our visa application was actually before we even applied for the visa. Getting Jane's skills assessed was the most time consuming part of the whole process. We finally decided to make the move back in October 2008 but it wasn't until Jan 2009 that we had all the paperwork in place so Jane could have her skills assessed.

All the best

Woody & Jane.

a lot of the agents will chat to you initially as they want the business. Get all the questions you have answered by them, then do it yourself. My wife and I did our own...it was fairly straight forward if a little time consuming.....saved us a fortune though.

Thanks for the heads up, Mark - perhaps I should circulate a link to this thread to all the UK agents I know ... ;)

Best regards.

Guest surhythms

Thanks guys - we are meeting with our agent tomorrow for an initial discussion - we have been in contact with her for the last 6 weeks so we will see whether it is suitable to use and agent. Considering our case is slightly complicated it may be in our interest - guess we will just have to wait and see!!!!!