Starting from scratch!

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Hi everyone,

Have noticed Ellie's thread on what to bring, however my question is slightly different. We will be bringing only bits as we are in a rented flat at the moment so most of our furniture is old and tired and not worth bringing.

We were wondering if you could shed any light as to how much it costs to kit a house out from scratch, or a list with costs of main items such as fridge, beds etc would be really helpful. Have any of you done this or did you still bring certan things over such as electrical items bedding etc?

Thanks for any advice:)

Jo and Tom x

Hey,

We started from scratch entirely....! We bought everything we have now while we have been here...

We arrived with $20000 only and managed to buy a car ($4000) and funrnished our house with basic including fridge, washing machine, sofa, beds, TV asd Xbox 360 for around $5000.

We shopped an haggled for everything.....i will have a look for reciepts for the prices lata.

Dan

Guest Sharon and Paul

Hi Jo & Tom , We have been buying a lot of furniture in the last couple of weeks. We even bought a new bed , and ours is still in the container on way . The reason ! is we wanted a queen size now we got use to sleeping in a bigger bed in our rental. There are lots of shops trying to tempt you to spend your dosh, There are some good second hand shops , alright to get you started .There's e- bay , even IKEA near the airport , Everyone out here likes a bargin so there is plenty of sales on more than (dfs in uk) . You can buy things at the markets too. ATB paul

Guest Melian

We came with just our clothes and £2000 in the bank. Fortunatly I had a job to come to and my employer paid for our accommodation (Unfurnished) for 3 months. The cots for our boys arrived with my tools 4 weeks after us. To start with we slept on the floor and sat on picnic seats ($6 each from Big W)

We bought all our cooking utensils,cutlery,glasses,plates,cups from the reject shop for approx. $50. Brand new queensize bed and mattress for $500.

DVD player $30

2nd Hand TV, TV stand,Microwave,Coffee table, 2 seater and 3 seater sofa from employers landlord for $550.

Fridge freezer from a work collegue for a carton of Coopers pale ale ($40).

Eight seater patio set, BBQ, Double bed, 3 piece suite, Set of drawers and vanity set from a work collegue who was down grading his house for $400.

2nd hand car for $3400 (paying back $100 a week) from employer.

Reconditioned washing machine with 6 month warrantee $200.

My boys now have more toys than we had in the UK, some new, some given to us.

Basically be cheeky and spread the word that you are looking for things to anyone that will listen. Once you are settled and have a bit more cash you can buy the things you want.

It would seem we happened to be in the right place at the right time on several occassions when we arrived.

We pay $560 every fortnight for our 4 bedroom rental in Gawler and had to pay $1600 up front before we could move into the house. Not having to pay rent for the 1st 3 months enabled us to save some money in order to cover the house costs.

Having said all the above I would try to bring as much money as possible as life we be much easier.

Ian

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your replies, seems like you can get some bargains if you dig deep and haggle. Ian like you say looks like you were in the right place at the right time. Gives me a good idea and we will only want basic as we will be renting so cheap and cheerful will do us.

Thanks again Jo and Tom:)

We came with not alot of $$$ and 4 kids, we kitted our house out with alot of stuff from The Lions, like a charity place, some bargains to be had let me tell you.

And we slowly build our stuff up over time, ebay good for stuf like fridges etc etc, i bouight a massive fridge for $60 bux its my beer fridge, shop around when you get here.

Also keep a look out on here as there are people selling stuff as when their shipping arrives they end up doubling up !!!

Plenty of guys on here are all too willing to help out, as somewhere along the way we have all been in the same place....

HG

as Heaps good says it is possible to get your immediate basics cheaply and then upgrade as you go when you are more settled, have more money etc.

This is exactly what we did, bought cheap stuff and are now in the process of upgrading to quality stuff now we are in the financial position to do so.

We arrived with 3 suitcases and 2 holdalls basically full of clothes, a few bath towels, an apple mac laptop and not much else. We sold our flat in the UK and everything in it.

We rented a fully furnished flat for the fist 6 months we were here and that included everything we needed.

Then we moved to an unfurnished rental (house) and we headed down to IKEA and got a dining room table for $99, 4 plastic dining room chairs at $20 each, a settee for around $370, a coffee table $20, a TV stand $20, we converted the Apple Mac to a TV and video recorder and then upgraded (if you could call it that ha ha!!) to a portable TV that cost us $128 brand new!!!! We basically bought cheap stuff because we figured while we were renting and looking for a house to buy it would be a waste of money to buy good quality stuff when they may not fit or suit the house we would buy.

After 1 year here we bought our first house. We originally wanted to build a new house over here but after spending a year looking and researching the areas we found we really liked the old houses closer to the city, which is what we have bought.