laptop help

Guest hulltigers

Guest hulltigers

I have a laptop and was taking it with us in hand luggage so when we get there we are not waiting for our pc to arrive , as so many i think are doing , we have a mobile broadband top up and go vodafone , will this work abroad i know it may be limited access what as everyone done have they got the same or have they contacted a ozzy broadband server and set up before you go eekkk dont want to sound silly any help would be most welcome cheers guys

Guest Kevin Quinn

Hi,

I have the same, but figured the mobile broadband would incur huge roaming charges?? I'm in Ireland and when I use mine in the UK the bill is huge.

Kev

We have O2 mobile broadband and when I bought it I asked if it could be used abroad and the answer was no. The best thing to do is to buy an equivalent over in oz. There have been a couple of threads about this recently on PIO

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/household/63103-mobile-broadband.html

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/household/66246-mobile-pay-you-go-broadband.html

Mx

Guest ben&sharon

Bring the laptop and buy a prepaid wireless dongle when you get here until you get sorted. We've bought ours (using it right now, so no problems there!). We were lucky enough to have broadband included in the price of our rental, so we haven't had to fork out any additional money yet, but the salesman at Telstra quoted us $300 for a dongle, which gets refunded when you take out a contract with them.

Sharon.

If you have a mobile broadband modem and are not tied to any contracts etc get vodafone to unlock it & bring it with you.. This should then work here (you will need to but a starter pack with new sim which you can pick up in any phone shop)

You can then get pay as you go broadband, even if its just for short term while you decide which provider suits you.

If it doesnt work, then you havent lost anything, but definately worth a try!! Ive been researching as im switching from telstra (expensive) and virgin looks to be the cheapest.. Also if you have a mobile phone contract, they reduce the monthly fee by a further $5.

Guest Flowers

I didn't bring my 3 or vodafone dongles because of roaming charges BUT the vodafone one here is exactly the same - & there is a tariff for bring-your-own dongle :arghh:

I paid $120 for vodafone with 2gb - or Crazy Johns is doing similar for $79...

Guest Flowers