Child car seats at the airport?

Guest Lucky

Hi there. We have been reading the posts on this site for weeks and have only just joined...really impressed with the helpful and friendly advice on here!

Anyway, we are flying out in 3 weeks to start our new life in Adelaide..still can't believe I'm talking about us!

We will be arriving with our two children and have shipped their car seats! We originally thought we'd just hire a car with the car seats but not sure that that is now feasible.

We have booked the Meet and Greet service after finding out about it on here (thanks guys) and have asked them if they can provide car seats for this jouney, but they cannot guarantee it and as it's illegal to travel without them we're hoping we can hire the seats from a company within the airport? Does anyone know of such a scheme, or perhaps have experience of using the meet and greet, having requested the child car seats?

With all the organising I have probably left this a bit late (and it being such an important issue makes me a bad mum!) but I'll blame the hubby who is still working every hour god sends before we go and leaving everything else to me!

Thanks, Sue

If you hire a car from the airport and request car seats they will provide them, for an extra charge.

Many of my guests use Ace Car Hire in Adelaide acecars@senet.com.au as Johnny has very reasonable rates and doesn't charge extra for car seats.

Best of luck

Judi x

Don't bother using Avis. They had a car seat for us but didn't have any inserts so our little one was engulfed in this cavernous thing being chucked around like a rag doll. Eventually they found an insert to help support his head but it didn't etc etc. The car hire place in the post above sounds miles better!

Thanks for that advice...always good to get a recommendation. I will look at that today.

And thanks Rich too for letting me know about Avis. That's the last thing you need after that long flight!

By the way, how was your little one on the flight?

Sue

Guest Django

welcome to PIA Sue.:wubclub:

How old are your little ones???? Ours were 7, 5, 2 and a year old when we flew out last year. The flight we were dreading with them but it went really well. Who are you flying with???

Pete

Hi Pete. Thanks for that. We have a 6 year old and a 16 month old. I'm not too worried about my oldest as even though she is totally hyper normally, I think she will understand. It's my 16month old who could cause some stress! He never sits still...ever! But our flights are with Singapore Airlines who we have travelled with before (when my oldest was 4) and we are flying at night so hopefully they will sleep most of the first leg. We then have 9.5 hours in Singapore Airport where I believe there is a swimming pool we can use while in tansit. We will swim the little legs off them and hope they sleep for the 2nd part of the journey!

I admire you for traveling with 4 kids, and especially two really little ones! You're not free to chaperone mine on the way over are you?!!!

Guest Django

Make sure you book a transit hotel. Its was the best thing we did. Not only do you get free use of the pool its somewhere to get your head down for a bit, have a shower or just somewhere to leave your handluggage while you tour the airport.

Pete

He was fine on the leg to Singapore and slept all the way. We had 5 hours in the airport and gave him a speeded up version of his day, washed and fed for bed, and he would have slept to Adelaide but the woman next to us was a troll and let her poor baby scream for most of the flight, she went to sleep and ignored the poor little thing!...which woke ours up etc etc cue 6 hours of fun and games. Overall it wasn't too bad, the bassinets were a good size on Qantas i thought

Thanks for that advice...always good to get a recommendation. I will look at that today.

And thanks Rich too for letting me know about Avis. That's the last thing you need after that long flight!

By the way, how was your little one on the flight?

Sue

Lets just hope that that woman is not returning to Oz again on our flight!

I know, lets hope that maybe she had some kind of horrific accident involving a cheese grater and a garden gnome. At least that's what i was thinking at the time.