Have I done the right thing?

Guest Ellie

Hi Everyone,

As things are becoming more of a reality theis week I am beginning to have doubts about leaving my parents. We have been living together for 10 years and my parents moved out into rented accommodation this week leaving the annex very empty :sad:We have now got a case officer and our agent is hoping that we get our visa's very soon. Initially my parents were going to apply for a visa at the same time as us but my Dad thought it would be more sensible for us to get settled and they would come out in a couple of years. I mentioned to my agent about my Mom and Dad and what the proceedure would be and she said that a parent visa is taking between 11yrs and 15yrs to process :shocked:I'm not being funny but they are in their 70's now!!!! We can apply for a contributory parent visa in 2 years and 6 months if $1420 is paid intially then $32,000 per applicant and the $14,000 bond this means they may get a visa granted between 12mnths and 2 years. I'm the only child so how can I go knowng this now? I haven't told them as they will be devastated. I know this will be a good move for us but what about my parents? Sorry to wittle on but I'm emotionally drained this week especially now they have moved out. We have got this far and now I'm scared.

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Ellie

It's perfectly normal to feel like this. A lot of my posts on here as our time to leave neared are much the same. Everyone goes through it. The only advice I can give you is what you already know yourself. You have to do what is right for you and YOUR family.

You have been around all of your life for your parents, and not meaning to sound harsh, so please dont be offended, but they wont be around forever either. You have to ask yourself will you have the opportunity again?? If yes, then maybe wait a while if you feel at all unsure but if no, who comes first your parents or your own family??

Good luck with it, I wish you all the best, but rest assured feelings and emotions like this are all part of the rollercoaster ride of emigration!!

Mandy

Guest cazzie

Hello Ellie,

How I feel for you! It's a very hard decision to make all round. I don't know about any of the parent visa stuff but it all sounds incredibly expensive and clearly takes far too long if what you're saying is correct.

However, the emotional attachment that some of us feel for our parents is so strong that living without them IS hard. My mum (fabulous woman) is 72 and I miss her SO much after being here nearly a year. Yes, I have got used to being without her, but I don't particularly like it and worry that she might become ill (she's very fit so it's unlikely any time soon!), but most of all I just miss her company and having her around. It's not the same having phone calls and email. I also miss my kids terribly - all grown up - but the pangs have not lessened much in a year and seeing them last month on a three week holiday to the UK was brilliant, but equally hard coming away again.

I don't know whether I admire those who feel much less pain on leaving their parents (Bill included) or not, but for me it is still a huge pull and the joys of Adelaide don't make up for the loss. If I didn't love my Bill one hundred per cent, I'd be back in the UK like a shot! Mind you, if my children were young, I might feel differently. Just my opinion.

hiya,

one of my friends mum is out here on some sort of bridging visa until her parent visa gets ok'd which will take about 10/11 years they say??so look into it and i'm sure theres a way for them to come over with age not being on thier side.

hope it all works out for you

kathx

Thank you all so much much for the posts. I have found a family sponsored visa (679) which is currently $105 each which allows them to visit for 12 months. I don't know the clauses of that one and I'm not sure if we can apply for a parent visa/aged visa whilst they were there. I would have to apply for this from Australia and pay the fee. Once we are there and settled I will have to go into it.

I have give it some thought and I do agree that I should think of my family as we wouldn't get a second chance because of OH age! Our agent worked very hard as we had a very tight time scale to be sure everything was lodged in time. I was fine when I had firmly fixed in my mind that my parents would join us in a couple of years. It was a big bombshell. Of course when the time comes legislation may have changed but may or may not be in our favour. Time will tell I suppose. I have really appreciated your comments....thank you! x

Have a look at this. You may find it useful .......

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4509&highlight=parent+visa

Thank you so much for this. Gill certainly worked very hard at it to find out so much. I must say it has given me more peace of mind and I'm sure my parents will appreciate so much information too. It's so hard for them at their age to relocate to a new Country anyway. I haven't dared tell them the issue as yet but at least I am armed with lots of positive things to take off the immediate panic that will set it!!

Thanks again...Brilliant!!! :notworthy: