dogs ashes

Guest hulltigers

Guest hulltigers

:sad:Has anyone taken there dogs ashes into there hand luggage and do you have to declare them sounds silly i know but any info would be greatfull has anyone done this ?thanks :unsure:

Guest nishman

We brought two lots of dogs ashes over from the UK - they went as declared items in the container. We were told to make sure we had certification or similar to prove that they were what they were - that was it.

Not sure if same things apply when bringing them in luggage though.

• 1 month later...

Been there, Done that as the saying goes...

We had planned to bring Chloe (my cat of 16 yrs) with us but unfortunately I had to have her put to sleep 4 days before we left UK, I still feel guilty about doing this but she got really ill during the last few weeks and it was either that or leave her with someone which I couldn't do really, that would have felt like I was leaving her when she needed me the most. We were still trying to get all the docs together for her travel but once she was diagnosed no airline would transport her without insurance and no company would insure her because she had already being diagnosed with a serious illness. Catch 22.

We flew over on NZ Airlines so I called them explained what had happened and they said because she would have to fly with me as ooposed to going in the container which had already gone, her ashes would have to travel in my hand luggage, they would have to be medically double sealed, the seal signed by the same vet who had treated her and put her to sleep and I'd need a letter on headed notepaper confirming the ashes were a cats, that the letter was wrote by the vet who had treated her and confirming the box containing the ashes had been sealed by said vet. Double medically sealed was something the vet wasn't sure about so called customs who said the ashes must be in two airtight containers and each container sealed with tape on which the vet had signed all round. I bought two airtight containers, took them to the vet who put Chloe's ashes in the smaller container, stuch micropore tape round the tub (over and under both front to back and left to right) so looking at the lid you saw a cross of tape, she signed the tape several times them put that box inside the larger one and repeated the tape and signing. I then had to let NZ Airways know I would be carrying the ashes and had to show the container and sealed letter (the vet had also signed across the seal of the envelope) at each customs we passed through. In fact each customs told me I was carrying animal ashes, it had been recorded against my passport details.

Hope that all makes sense, I tried to explain as clearly as I could so sorry if I waffled a bit.

I must admit my heart skipped a few beats when the aussie customs dog sat straight down next to my hand luggage though but when I told the officer I had Chloe's ashes in my bag he said that was what the dog had detected but he checked my bag to make sure.

We bought the ashes of 4 dogs over. Make sure you declare and that they are last to be packed so are at the front of the container. Customs werent bothered about the ashes - just the wooden boxes they were in. As the caskets were sealed I had nightmares about them using a crow bar to open them. They were fine.