Travelling with a guitar

Diane

Anyone brought a guitar out with them as either hand or checked luggage? How did it go? Did it cost extra? Did it survive the trip? Does it get weighed as part of the allowance?

Trying to sort out my folks bringing one out for son when they come later in the year, it will be in a hard guitar case, but that means the weight might be a an issue. They're flying with Malaysia Airlines.

Any info or experiences gratefully received!

Diane

Guest June Pixie

I'd be interested in this one too as my OH wants to take his 2 guitars with him on plane - He said he would take less clothes to enable the guitars to come instead! He also has to take his work gear on the plane too so I hope excess baggage allowance allows for this!

Anyone brought a guitar out with them as either hand or checked luggage? How did it go? Did it cost extra? Did it survive the trip? Does it get weighed as part of the allowance?

Trying to sort out my folks bringing one out for son when they come later in the year, it will be in a hard guitar case, but that means the weight might be a an issue. They're flying with Malaysia Airlines.

Any info or experiences gratefully received!

Diane

Hi

It will be counted as part of your luggage allowance. You need to ask at check in to put a fragile sticker on it and they will send it through the over size luggage . Guitars are not allowed to be taken on as hand luggage any more. OH guitar arrived safe and sound and we also sent one over in our shared container.

Claire

Rick and I have both brought guitars in from the UK on a plane and the must have is a hard case for the guitar. You aren't allowed to put them on as hand luggage (they won't fit in any cabin compartments) and so have to go in the hold. When your rellies check in make sure they get it clearly marked and treated as FRAGILE ...... the fragile cargo seems to be loaded and unloaded seperately. We both flew with Cathay and had no probs doing this, and no probs with the weight either. I bought a roll of packing tape with FRAGILE printed on it, in a newsagents over there, and then wound it round and round the case of my Fender Strat, and made sure the case was securely locked and kept the keys on me. When I flew back to Adelaide I had to come via Melbourne and change to a domestic flight so reclaimed my baggage there in Melbourne, and I did have trouble finding where the baggage handlers put the fragile goods, but they were all stacked together in one corner of the baggage area (Loads of guitars!). I did go through the RED channel as I thought that as the guitar is wood I SHOULD declare it, but had no problems at all and the AQIS/Customs guys didn't even want me to open the case. Rick did the same when he flew in direct to Adelaide, and again no problems at all.

We've also FedEx'd a couple of Ricks guitars over as well, and got stung big time by Customs for duty - around $700 (or was it pounds?) It was a lot though ..........!

If you have a lot of guitars and can do it, ship them over. You'll regret it if you don't. My hubby had 32 guitars and sold 28 of them before he emigrated and misses each and every one of them, and some are almost impossible to replace over here as they are either way too expensive in Oz, or impossible to get hold of. He had built a fine collection up over several years of buying and selling on eBay and suchlike (around 400 or so guitars!), and now all he has is photos of some very fancy instruments, and some fond memories.

Guest louiswaring@hotmail.co.uk

Hi

Just a quick thought.....I sent my 2 guitars in the container, and bought a cheapie from local shop (SX 62 Custom Strat $199, not a gibson i grant you but not too bad!!!)

Regards