How much do you think it cost you to start up in Adelaide?

Guest Squeezle

Guest Squeezle

Hi Everyone,

I was reading another thread about the medicals being a bit of a rip off, when a couple of people mentioned how expensive they have found it to set up when they got to Adelaide.

So thought I would ask for some feedback for the people who are about to make the journey so we can maybe budget a littel extra in!

Cheers

Pauline :err:

Guest Guest75

No fixed figure at all I'm afraid - bring as much as you can and budget to be out of work for a while.

Savings do seem to dwindle quickly when you arrive.

It can take a couple of years to get back on track.

I agree with Tyke...the savings take a hammering in the first few months and career wise things can take a long time to settle.

So er on the side of caution and put as much to one side as you can. Immediate expenses will be the purchasing of a car, rego for the car, car insurance, ambulance cover and bond and rent on your first Adelaide home.

After that you'll have to think about supporting yourselves for a good few months whilst you find work, unless you're lucky enough to be coming to a job.

I'm sorry I can't quote exact costs for individual bits but think we got through about $40k in the first six months (included buying our car and other costs mentioned) and that was with an extremely strict shopping budget and frugal living...Gulp...

Good luck with your move.

Guest nurse sue

you can get an idea of how much white goods/furniture will cost if you arent bringing it with you by just googling for those shops in adelaide - good guys have good site to give you an idea of what white goods will cost ... you can also look at ikeas website as there is one in adelaide to get an idea of small goods.

may not be to your normal taste but will give you an idea of costs.

(btw, im not in aus yet, but used these sites as way of working out a budget)

Guest Django

We came out with £4,500 and with 4 children in tow. Just under 12 months later we are a two car family with 5 kids. :biglaugh: If you are bringing out any more money than that or have less children you should be fine.

Pete

Guest nurse sue
We came out with £4,500 and with 4 children in tow. Just under 12 months later we are a two car family with 5 kids. :biglaugh: If you are bringing out any more money than that or have less children you should be fine.

Pete

blimey ... well done!!!! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Pete

LOL Pete, the fifth one must have been coz you stayed in of an evening to save some cash! Way to go, both of you!

Guest Django
LOL Pete, the fifth one must have been coz you stayed in of an evening to save some cash! Way to go, both of you!

Haaaaaaaaaaa Its quite the reverse. Since being here we had been out more than we ever had before. We only started staying in coz Tracey doesn't do pregnancy well and didn't feel up to going out. :(

Yup,youll need good backup,and things like a fridge freezer,washing machine,basic furniture,kettles,pans,cutlery,plates,beds,covers,internet,phone etc....the list goes on and on....just while you are waiting for your shipment to arrive.It's all one way traffic financially at first,but it should change for the better,and hopefully one day in the not too distant,you'll sit back and think"yes,that was worth it".All the best.

Guest caoimhe

In Nov we changed over £10,000 and got $23,450, this was gone by March, just after we started work. On top of this we paid $14,500 on a car. Since then because we are on a temp visa and don't get family assistance we take at least $800 a month from our savings to top up my hubby's wage's (this isn't going to last much longer). At the beginning we really could have cut out a lot of stuff but we seemed to think having money in the bank for a change was great, even though it was from the profit of our house in the UK. Django came here with a lot less as they didn't manage to sell their home so it can be done (take advice from him not me) just make sure you only buy what is really needed. I wish we had off been more careful in the early stages:mad:

Guest Asrais

We came out with out with about $25000, but used alot of that on our first leisurely month in Brisbane. When we arrived in Adelaide we had about $10000 left. After renting an apartment and buying furnishings, white goods and all the other stuff, towels, kettles, cutlery etc we had $5000 left.

Guest guest3462

we're a financial disaster zone with a spend of around $100,000, but this has all visa fees and taking into account that we lost a fortune on our house sale in the uk leaving us with excess to pay. We spent around $40,000 in the first few months and things are still tight for us ( and will be for the next year) on saying that, we love it here in Adelaide and feel that all the finacial stress and heartache is totally worth it in the end. We now have a beautiful house and 2 cars and get out frequently, so it can't be all that bad!!! xxx

Guest The Pickles

Think of a figure and double it! We paid 6 months rent in advance because we didn't have jobs and really didn't want to lose the rental. That plus the bond was over $11,000. We hired a car but that's gone back now that we're living close to the tram. We've only been here a couple of months and feel like we're constantly paying out for something but once the permanent jobs in, hopefully we can start to save again. Good luck!

Guest massive

this is a hard one as everyone has different needs or expectations we were lucky sold our house had jobs to come to and still spent $40k in 3 months on rent , cars, some white goods, school fees etc don't under estimate how quickly the money goes especially in the first few weeks

Guest Squeezle

Thanks everyone, its all good advise, and hopefully the information helps for all of us about to make the move. My only saving grace is we are coming without any children, and my Mum and Stepdad live in Gawler and can put us up for a while whilst we settle, so I guess we are more fortunate then some.

Better keep saving though looks like we will need it!

Pauline and Neil

• 1 month later...
Guest fuji70

Pete

Bloody hell, well done!! Certainly raised my spirits as I've just about got that left, but I'm single. :err:

Guest fuji70
We arrived with $21000 and manged ok. I got a job within 2 weeks of arriving so that was help.

Most of our money went on a car...the rest we furnished our rental with as we bought nothing at all with us.

Dan

Yeah, it's the worry about finding a job that's getting to me, especially now that I've committed to a rental. Apart from that, I'm loving Adelaide, I'll be gutted if I have to go back due to lack of a job (especially after it cost me so much to get here!! :confused:)

Guest MarkIngram

with he exchange rate being so poor we're looking at coming over with about $20k initially (we're going to hold onto other cash in sterling and hope for a change in the rate)....our furniture is about to leave the UK so at least that's one expense we won't have...but obviously there's buying a car, insurances, bond, rent etc etc....it's moments like this when you get a little concerned just what you are putting everyone through....I'm sure we'll be fine and hope we're lucky enough to secure jobs soon after we arrive. Certainly looking forward to the challenge.

Guest hensonmonsta

:unsure: We hope to move over with £50k from our house sale.... this is everything we have....but I do worry that we are using our life savings ( i.e. retirement fund) to live our dream of moving to Australia for the sake of our children and for a better family life... I now worry that we may use alot of the savings whithin the first few months :unsure: We were hoping to put most of our money away until we settle in and then use some of the money as a deposit for when we buy our first home...and also "what about when we retire!!!!"

OMG :arghh: what a worry, please can someone reasure me....

Guest massive

This is a very hard one and i can't stand to think people are coming over here for better with a small amount of money and no jobs

we came over here with a very significant amount of money and yet it is still difficult hubby had a good better paid job than the uk job to come to I am working and earing a good wage but it is not in my opinion and other friends i have talked to cheaper than the uk , we all feel so often ripped off and blinded by the weather if you ask me is it better than what i left behind then yes because we bought our first house in the uk 20 years ago have had 4 since always made money on them so came over to be practicaly morgage free both work less hours

not to be full off it would i come with £5k or even £20 not on your life and no doubt i will get slatted for this but i am going on what i have experienced and if you are going to have to work you're boll**** off to live here you may want to re asses what your doing

Yes the sun shines longer but there is still crime drugs single mum unemployment etc etc

I do not wish to upset anyone these are just my finding and I am quite liking my life here but am very fortunate to have had a good life in the uk to set me up here

I awaite the slagging off but hey :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest hensonmonsta
This is a very hard one and i can't stand to think people are coming over here for better with a small amount of money and no jobs

we came over here with a very significant amount of money and yet it is still difficult hubby had a good better paid job than the uk job to come to I am working and earing a good wage but it is not in my opinion and other friends i have talked to cheaper than the uk , we all feel so often ripped off and blinded by the weather if you ask me is it better than what i left behind then yes because we bought our first house in the uk 20 years ago have had 4 since always made money on them so came over to be practicaly morgage free both work less hours

not to be full off it would i come with £5k or even £20 not on your life and no doubt i will get slatted for this but i am going on what i have experienced and if you are going to have to work you're boll**** off to live here you may want to re asses what your doing

Yes the sun shines longer but there is still crime drugs single mum unemployment etc etc

I do not wish to upset anyone these are just my finding and I am quite liking my life here but am very fortunate to have had a good life in the uk to set me up here

I awaite the slagging off but hey :biglaugh:

I don't think we should talk down the families that have moved to Australia on a shoe string... if anything I take my hat off to them :notworthy:, also depending on where you live will depend on your views of Australia, we live 5 mins drive away from "Gun City" here in Nottingham England and it's a mistake we won't make again now we have two young children. Things have changed here in England over the past 11 years + and I'm sure people understand you will get these kind of things happening where ever you live.... but...the majority of people on this site seem to have good things to say about where they are living. :)

Glad to hear that things have turned out great for you I sure hope we have a great experience when we finally take the plunge. We just need to do more digging around before we decide. (I take it your an honest person...:biglaugh:)

Best of luck, any advice you can give would be greatly received

Regards

Teresa

We had NO savings whatsoever! We came over really quickly and as we were 1) not savers and 2) not expecting to move to oz we had a few months of trying to save as much as possible! However, we were really lucky as my hubbys employers paid for all our flights, moving and visa costs and agreed to pay the first months rent....even so it has cost a fortune! We sold 2 cars in the uk and only had enough from that to buy one car here (they are very expensive), we had to pay out thousands for a short term furnished rental and a bond for our new rental. Then there are the costs of buying things over again (if you're not shipping anything) or buying essentials to tide you over until the shipping arrives! Factor in customs charges, med insurance, rego, car insurance and all the usual bills and it failry adds up!

As others have mentioned, if you are not coming to a job then it a good idea to plan on having a few months worth of money to tide you over. I really wish that we had more time save that as Im not working yet and we are paying out all the time. There is light at the end of the tunnel tho as once we are in the perm rental and have bought our white goods then the finaces should hopefully settle right down.

BUT it is do-able! And in my opinion it is worth the uncertainty now to live in such a lovely place. Yep there is crime, but MUCH less than in where we moved from in Glasgow. Yes it will be hard financially but there are loads of things to do here that dont cost money. We have only been here for six weeks but we can see the possibilities here and they look a lot nicer for us than back home!

Good luck with everything:):)

Allie

EDIT - Another good thing is that if you rent you dont pay council tax :D just remembered that one......!