Citizenship ceremony dress code etc.

Guest teabag

Hello,

Can someone who has been to a citizenship ceremony please give me an idea of what the dress code is? Does everyone turn up in suits and ties or can I go along in my jeans and a t-shirt? How many people normally take the pledge at these things? A hundred? Or half a dozen?

Thanks,

teabag

Guest Guest75

We went smart/casual with short sleeved shirt and casual pants ( or can be good jeans I guess).Jut remember what you want to look like in the photos in years to come:)

As for numbers - depends on your area and time of year.

Australia Day is very popular.

We took ours at Onkaparinga Council - 106 of us!!

BBQ Brekkie and band!!!:)

Guest Guest75
106!? How long did it take for everyone to say their pledge? Or did you do it in one big group?

clop

It took flipping ages but we did it in one go.

Being presented with the Australian plants by the Mayor took the time.

Great excuse for a booze up - vaguely remember the rest of the day!!:goofy::goofy:

Guest Guest75
I heard you can take it on Australia Day at the cricket, in front of the crowd. Is there any truth in this ?

It is true - I watched it happen a few years ago.:notworthy::notworthy:

Not sure if you have to live in that council district though.

It took flipping ages but we did it in one go.

Being presented with the Australian plants by the Mayor took the time.

Great excuse for a booze up - vaguely remember the rest of the day!!:goofy::goofy:

I'll be attending on my own, unfortunately, so I'll probably just go home afterwards.

teabag

Guest JACK JONES
It is true - I watched it happen a few years ago.:notworthy::notworthy:

Not sure if you have to live in that council district though.

Thanks Tyke.

I will have to look into it , i do mine in 2012. That would be a good day out.

Guest nishman

We were smart causual, but there were others who put on a bit of a show with the green and gold. Horses for courses at the end of the day - and at the end of the day, that's what being Australian is all about ;)

There must have been 100 or so when we got done, but they get you through pretty quick (2 hours with all the ceremony stuff and entertainment!?)

• 2 weeks later...

There were 13 of us in the end, 3 of whom did not show up. Each person went to the front and read their pledge out before receiving their certificate. Most people were dressed smart casual, though I think I was the only person wearing a checky farmer's shirt and a kagoul.

When are you getting 'done'? :) Ian's is on 17th Sept (I don't think he's intending to dress up though!! Shorts, thongs and wifebeater t-shirt surely is dresscode for all new aussies!).

Smart casual is the appropriate clothing to be worn to a citizenship ceromony, the use of Wife Beater Tshirt is innapropriate.

Wife beating may happen in other countries but thankfully there are laws in this country to stop this behavour.

Guest rachinadelaide
Hello,

Can someone who has been to a citizenship ceremony please give me an idea of what the dress code is? Does everyone turn up in suits and ties or can I go along in my jeans and a t-shirt? How many people normally take the pledge at these things? A hundred? Or half a dozen?

Thanks,

teabag

An Aussie flag strategically pinned...?!

Don't think there was anything in it about the queen, just pledging loyalty to Australia, upholding laws of the country, supporting democracy. Queen wasn't in the pledges that I heard anyway!

Oh and Panther - a 'wifebeater' is a recognised aussie item of clothing, kind of a sleeveless vest sort of thing!

• 3 months later...
We went smart/casual with short sleeved shirt and casual pants ( or can be good jeans I guess).Jut remember what you want to look like in the photos in years to come:)

As for numbers - depends on your area and time of year.

Australia Day is very popular.

We took ours at Onkaparinga Council - 106 of us!!

BBQ Brekkie and band!!!:)

Hi Tyke

I was wondering how long after getting your approval letter did it take to get your letter from the council....we will be going to Onkapringa Council too.

Cheers:)

Guest motlyman
Hi Tyke

I was wondering how long after getting your approval letter did it take to get your letter from the council....we will be going to Onkapringa Council too.

Got ours about 3 months after the test.

Our ceremony is on Australia day:)

Anyone else on the 26th? Onkaparinga council btw.

Colin

Got ours about 3 months after the test.

Our ceremony is on Australia day:)

Anyone else on the 26th? Onkaparinga council btw.

Colin

Thanks for that Colin...we did our test in Sept and I got my letter of approval yesterday and I am just waiting on the letter from the Council with my date...I just wondered how long it takes for the Council to send the letter for the ceremony...in saying that my husband has received his approval letter yet and we want to do the ceremony together.

Good day to do it Australia Day:)

Guest motlyman
Thanks for that Colin...we did our test in Sept and I got my letter of approval yesterday and I am just waiting on the letter from the Council with my date...I just wondered how long it takes for the Council to send the letter for the ceremony...in saying that my husband has received his approval letter yet and we want to do the ceremony together.

Good day to do it Australia Day:)

About three months after approval letter. They also asked, did you want to do it with anyone in particular so i guess you can pick a later date than whats is offered.

Colin

Guest Guest75
Hi Tyke

Hiya

It's been a few years since we got it (2003) and I've completely forgotten!!!:goofy::goofy:

Sorry!!!