GP moving to Adelaide

Guest marzoom

Guest marzoom

Hi,

we're just starting the process of applying for PR with a view to joining my family in Adelaide next summer.

I'm a fully qualified GP and wondered if anyone can shed any light on the process?

I'm applying for fellowship of the Royal Australian College of GPs fo recognition of my qualifications and will then apply to the AMC for skills recognition. I gather that then I apply to SA medical board but not sure if this needs to be linked to a particular job?

Not sure at what stage should apply for visa..is this before SA medical board of after and should we go for state sponsored? or just general skilled migration?

Finally - should I go with an agent such as Rural doctors workforce agency or jsut independantly find a job? aarrggh so many questions...

Can anyone recommend areas to look at for jobs, not sure how to find out about DWS as I know will have to work in one of these areas.

thanks in advance!!:v_SPIN:

Guest hel&sam

Hiya, i'm only a lowly radiographer, but in most jobs, you seem to need skills recognition from your relevant authority in order to apply for your visa, we did that, then applied for permanent residence visas. Personally we chose permanent visas so we wouldn't be tied to any particular company or hospital etc and if the job doesnt suit you don't have to leave the country, just change the job.

Theres quite a few medical staff agencies, might be worth a phone call to them to gain a little advice, who knows, they might be offering relocation and help with visas.

Good luck, its not as complicated as it seems once you get everything in the right order.

helen. x

Guest guest3462

Hi, my hubby is an anaesthetist. We are here in Adelaide on a 457 visa and are applying for PR on my nursing qualifications as it is proving too difficult for Rich to get through all the red tape!!!! He is just in the process of getting his full registration with the AMC and ANZCA and MBSA which I understand you have to do inSA. I will PM you our email address then you can ask him any questions you want answering. Hope this is of some use to you.

Julia and Rich x

Guest alibongo

hi marzoom,

you will be very welcome addition over here. I work as a practice nurse and the GPs seem to work very long hours here due to the shortage of staff- Not sure as to all the technical side of gaining your visa etc. but when you are due to come over why not get in touch with your local division of general practice. they are always advertising for GP posts and they offer support and training to all GPs and their practice staff

Good luck

Ali