Difference between North, South and East Adelaide

Guest MandisFam

Guest MandisFam

Hello PIA people, Started to do some research on suburbs in Adelaide and was wondering if anyone could give me some general guidance on the difference between north, east and south of Adelaide. I believe South is closer to beaches, east towards to the hills ??? not sure....and have no idea whats up in the north.

Oh works in IT and so thinking he will be working in the CBD, so any side particularly better to reach the CBD than the other???

Many thanks any information is much appreciated.

Mandisfam

Guest Kazzarazza

The west side is where the Adelaide beaches are, as well as down south but the south is a much further drive to the CDB. I'd be looking anywhere near the coast from Semaphore down to Brighton for beachside living and a 15 to 20 minute drive to the city.

Cheers, Kazza

Guest Andrew&Ren
The main difference is that the Adelaide Hills are the nicest part of Adelaide.

Everyone has their own "nicest part" of Adelaide as everyone is different!!!

We fell in love with Glenelg when we first got here (beach,tram link,restaurants,local shops etc) but to be honest we didnt look at many other areas. People have very different opinions on south/north.....

Decide what you want from the area and research that way. Its very hard to ask the differences as people want different things......and everyone as an opinion they want to share :err:

Good Luck xxx

It all depends what you want, i would do yourself a checklist and maybe rank out of 5 what you want from where you live ie

Schools

Shops

Beaches

Hospitals

Work etc etc,

Once you have done this then you can maybe start checking out some burbs,

i hope this helps in some way, what is nice and good to one person may not be to another.

Good luck

HG

Job in IT is likely to be City based (CBD).

Depending on the method and time you want to spend commuting will give you a radius around the CBD. This will give you a starter for ten to start researching. Of course, other factors may distort this circle to suit your "wish list".

As a guide (for me) I travel between 35-60minutes (depending on time of day!) in the car from Seaford/Moana (far SW area that is still considered to be "Metropolitan Adelaide") to the city and the same back. Lifestyle choice for us, that may or may not suit you (and others :))

I'd recommend renting somewhere as central as possible and taking a few days to drive out in different directions. Don't try and get somewhere sorted for long term before you arrive, as you may find what someone else says is great, is perhaps not to your liking!

Beaches run north to south on the west side of the City - if you go due west of the city you are looking at maybe a 20 minute drive maximum, although possibly might be a bit of aircraft noise as that's the rough location of the airport. Northern beaches - some nice areas, easy commuting; southern beaches, some nice areas but some you are getting quite a way out of the city, so unless you fancy spending two hours a day in a car when you could be at home with a glass in your hand.... (some do, don't get me wrong, but not my idea of fun!)

Hills are to the south east, north east, and east. Lovely areas, bit more expensive, some within about 10-15 minutes drive of a beach, some a little further - depends what you want. The Adelaide Hills area has some lovely villages, and there is a good fast freeway that links them to the city centre.

Northern areas tend towards the slightly more industrial - which is a good thing if you're looking to work in that kind of field, and there are some lovely suburbs around the northeast which are an easy commute to these places, as well as nice country townships in the north such as Gawler, which is connected to Adelaide by a reasonable train route.

The northern suburbs are ok up as far as Gepps Cross. After crossing Grand Junction Road, the prices of houses drops but so does the standard and usually more crime in these areas although all cities have these type of areas. One of these suburbs is called Elizabeth. Named after Queen Elizabeth. It was built as a sateliette town for English migrants in the late 50's. There are still many poms living there, however I would not recommend that side of town.

If your family can afford it, the eastern side of Adelaide has some many fine old houses, particularly suburbs such as Kensington, Dulwich, Millswood just to name a few. The prices for houses on this side is very high though. Adelaide has 5 different routes. I would recommend looking at the south-west side of town, as there is a train line (Tonsley/Noarlunga line) and also a tram line running from the city to the seaside suburb of Glenelg. Most properties on this side of town are about $ 350,000 to $ 450,000.

The northern suburbs are ok up as far as Gepps Cross. After crossing Grand Junction Road, the prices of houses drops but so does the standard and usually more crime in these areas although all cities have these type of areas. One of these suburbs is called Elizabeth. Named after Queen Elizabeth. It was built as a sateliette town for English migrants in the late 50's. There are still many poms living there, however I would not recommend that side of town.

If your family can afford it, the eastern side of Adelaide has some many fine old houses, particularly suburbs such as Kensington, Dulwich, Millswood just to name a few. The prices for houses on this side is very high though. Adelaide has 5 different routes. I would recommend looking at the south-west side of town, as there is a train line (Tonsley/Noarlunga line) and also a tram line running from the city to the seaside suburb of Glenelg. Most properties on this side of town are about $ 350,000 to $ 450,000.

:v_SPIN::arghh:

Simon

Totally agree, I'm getting a bit fed up too with where I live being slagged off :mad:

The answer to all questions of this type is , there are some places in the south better than some places in the north, there are some places in north better than some places in the south, can't be bothered with including east and west but you get the idea, come and have a look for yourself, yours is the only opinion that matters, unless you know for sure where your going to work and how long you a willing to commute to work, you maybe wasting your time, you should just look for a short term rental, followed by a longer term rental then make up your mind where you want to live, of course this is just my opinion and as I have just said yours is the only one that matters you should proberly ignore me!:)

Simon

Guest MandisFam

Hello everyone, thank for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

Completely understand that everyone has different opinions and what suburb is good for one person will not be for another.

But I wasnt really after specific suburb information, just general information in what the differences are from each side of the city, eg beach, hills, industrial....most cities work this way and its just useful to know these things when you are researching from the other side of the world.

We have absolutely no intention of trying to secure a long term rental from here, dont believe that would be possible anyway, so we do intend to book a holiday let for about a month and have a good look round. But its still nice to research from the UK, you need to start somewhere.....lol

Thanks again for the replies.

Mandisfam

I live in the south in seaford, doorstep of mcclaren vale wine region, lovely beaches bit more spaced out further south you go. North is where much of adelaides industry is and where it is more developed but if you go north of elizabeth again it becomes more spread out as you head towards gawler and the barossa valley. I spend alot of time commuting south to north around angle vale and over to banksia park, having friends and family up there and i love both areas. Both very very different in the respect south along the coast obviously you have the beach and the north i think has more established things to do. I really like gawler and some of the northern country towns such as kapunda and tanunda. The drive over that way reminds me of lancashire (obviously in the winter when its green) Also depends how far north you want to be, urban sprawl really starts from elizabeth through the city, OMG real pubs!!!

Adelaide has something to offer everyone and i wouldnt knock any area til youve experienced it properly, and for yourself people can advise you but it all depends what type of lifestyle your after. I love being near the beach but to be honest id rather be where its a bit busier and near family so will probly move next year further up.

OMG this is the third lot of post that are slating the north open your eyes Elizabeth is one suburb and surprise surprise all of us who live up this way aren't unemployed or benifit claiming .

Elizabeth isn't the end of the North we are a little bit further on and quite frankly have no issues where we live and if you are from uk we are the equivelant of being 10 mins from the lakes .

In the last year we have looked all over adelaide and there is very good and very bad in all areas and as someone posted i wish my home had only cost me 450k

:arghh::arghh::arghh:

Guest guest4504

Im expecting Ali G to pop on this thread with his ' East side better dan de west.... Ayee '. you best to rent and find out for yourself, like the UK its the North vs the South.

And for the record im in the North UK, as for Adelaide my experience is south preference.

OMG this is the third lot of post that are slating the north open your eyes Elizabeth is one suburb and surprise surprise all of us who live up this way aren't unemployed or benifit claiming .

Elizabeth isn't the end of the North we are a little bit further on and quite frankly have no issues where we live and if you are from uk we are the equivelant of being 10 mins from the lakes .

In the last year we have looked all over adelaide and there is very good and very bad in all areas and as someone posted i wish my home had only cost me 450k

:arghh::arghh::arghh:

Hi massive,

we are considering Gawler as we have only heard good things about it but just a bit concerned that there may be little in the way of beaches to the East. I have always been a beach lover as I spent my childhood on them in HK.

I've been informally offered work which would probably straight away and with four hungry young'uns, thats a positive:)

Cooler

Hi massive,

we are considering Gawler as we have only heard good things about it but just a bit concerned that there may be little in the way of beaches to the East. I have always been a beach lover as I spent my childhood on them in HK.

I've been informally offered work which would probably straight away and with four hungry young'uns, thats a positive:)

Cooler

Hi Gawler is lovely a bit oldie worldie sometimes but there is everything you need and if you can't get it here there's always Elizabeth:biglaugh:10 mins down the road

we are at the beach everyweekend in the hotter weather it takes between 45 and 50 mins depending on the one we go plus there's the borossa , the hills , loads of parks etc all on our door step

We ended up here because my oh got a peremenant job offer and I am glad he did otherwise we wouldn't have looked this far from the city just come and look for yourself

Hi massive,

we are considering Gawler as we have only heard good things about it but just a bit concerned that there may be little in the way of beaches to the East.

It's a bloody long way from the Eastern beaches, Adelaide's sea being on the West;)

Sorry ;)

BTW - as a Southerner, I quite like Gawler. And it's the gateway to the Barossa:)

Guest Rob and Clare
Hi Gawler is lovely a bit oldie worldie sometimes but there is everything you need and if you can't get it here there's always Elizabeth:biglaugh:10 mins down the road

we are at the beach everyweekend in the hotter weather it takes between 45 and 50 mins depending on the one we go plus there's the borossa , the hills , loads of parks etc all on our door step

We ended up here because my oh got a peremenant job offer and I am glad he did otherwise we wouldn't have looked this far from the city just come and look for yourself

Which beaches do you go to ? It doesn't look far to Thompson Beach and Middle Beach from Gawler ?

Which beaches do you go to ? It doesn't look far to Thompson Beach and Middle Beach from Gawler ?

We go to lots of beaches from Grange to victor harbour !!! but thats what we came to oz for

I can't say I have been to Thompsons Beach before. Many years ago I went fishing at Middle Beach where there is a little inlet and Port Parham I heard was good for fishing too. However, as far as beaches for swimming and/or sun baking that is not a recoginised area for that. You would be better off going to the Adelaide suburban beaches. They are all clean and very accessible.