Unplanned migration to Adelaide arrive soon!!

Guest Peachie

:)Hi All

We are a family of 4 children aged 12 & 5 will be in adelaide by end of Nov!!

We were all set to go to the gold coast as I had a job there in a great leafy green suburb with great schools surf beaches and houses that I could stretch too. We had spent time there and have freinds close by so felt like a good choice BUT OH boss was told he was leaving and made him a great job in Adelaide so now we are going there flights booked and got 3 weeks Holiday let a couple of days ago

I would love a bit of help and local knowledge to help narrow down areas for a long term rental Looked at north and east as OH will drive to Beverly ( He hates long commute 15mins is pushing it for him!!!) and I will work in CBD via public transport we want parks and family orientated area with access to good primary and high school have heard Norwood is a good school not sure about charles Campbell and modbury as hard to form an impression on web site local knowledge helpful (Golden grove looked nice but maybe too far out?) Paradise looks very easily comutable for both of us (love the name)

would like to rent in an area where we could later buy as not to uproute kids again not sure on buget as exchange rate in pants!!! (unless your heading back!!) may be around 550 or a bit more if wait out the exchange dip!!

We are looking forward to living in Adelaide and are reassured by those of you who are so positive :) Thanks Deb xx

Hi Deb

We are in a very similar position, arriving mid November and want to rent in an area we could buy in after 12-24 months. The areas you mentioned are all ones we are looking at Tea Tree Gully, Golden Grove, Modbury down to Paradise and Rostrevor. Norwood is a little out of our price range. We did 3 months out in Adelaide over Christmas and the kids really liked it.

Our 2 kids are 11 and 8 so finding a school will be the first challenge.

Best of luck

Nikki, Dallas, James and Georgia

Guest charmaine

Hi . My children go to Ocean view college, Taperoo. It caters for children aged 5 right up to 18 so no need to have to worry racing round all different schools to collect your children, they also have a childcare centre right from birth to age 5. as well as an after school care centre. they do fantastic things such as marine science, and the school is directly accross from the beach. I highly recomend it. and they have big plans for extensions and improvements. It is aprox 20-30 mins via car into the CBD, 20 mins to the airport (and IKEA and harbourtown shopping ) there is a direct train service into the city every 15 minutes too. I love living near the beach after living in Derby Uk, where we were 6 hours from a descent beach!. We live in taperoo, down the rd from the school. the suburb is still growing and improving, house prices are very good, and we are sandwiched between very good (and more expensive) suburbs such as North Haven, Semaphore, and close to Port Adelaide, West Lakes , Grange and Henley beach. Taperoo or Osborne are great investments , our homes value has increased by $50,000 in 1 year!. and with a 5 min walk to the beach its fantastic!.

Beverley is actually very slightly west of the main city, so you could look at somewhere like Fulham Gardens, which is fairly close, and on the same side. Otherwise perhaps somewhere like Klemzig - anywhere along the river is good. We are at Highbury which is not far from Paradise, but I think to Beverley it would be about 30 minutes at peak times, mainly because you'd have to go up and round the top of the CBD - whilst it's possible to drive through, I drove back from the centre of Adelaide to here the other day at about 4:30 and it was horrible - took me nearly 45 minutes at that time of day and some of the other drivers at that time were just accidents waiting to happen!

Around Norwood would probably be workable and yes, excellent schools in that area. Depends a bit on your budget. If it stretches to Norwood, then also consider Walkerville as that's nice too.

Oh, and if you need somewhere short term to rent in Norwood, I had a call from an agent I'm friendly with the other day who had two fully furnished properties coming up very soon available for short term rent at $390 a week - two bedrooms plus a study though so may be a bit small for you!

Diane

PS It's much nicer in Adelaide than on the Gold Coast anyway! You can always visit there for holidays!!

Hi All

Big thank you for taking the time to reply xx

Diane- Shock horror at 45 min drive OH will be driving at about that time too (OH read your post and said that was too much as he will be dropping kids at school some days as I work shifts and he would be rushing to work or will be late) I will defo investigate Fulham gardens Do you know what high school area it is?

wil do a drive around Grange (Is seaton ok too as very handy train line) and work my way up I think Taparoo maybe a bit far but sounds very chilled I may as well do a drive up the coast and stop off at west lakes I still realy like the look of the NE but if not practical for commute may have to give it up. Is Adelaide only the 20 min city when everyone else is in bed?

Which are the best schools from fulham gardens up???

Kind regards Deb x

Hi Deb

It is normally about 20 minutes to the city from here and 20 minutes back, but it was raining on that day which tends to slow things down, and I must have just caught it at the worst time I reckon! And we are probably about 5-10 minutes further out than Paradise!

There was a thing on TV the other day about how Adelaide traffic has increased a lot recently, and the 20-minute city thing is now rather optimistic! Don't give up on places like Norwood and Paradise just yet, but definitely keep an open mind tll your OH has tried the commute a few times at his usual times. By the way, if you choose to live somewhere along the river, then there are cycle paths all along on both sides, so he could cycle to work if he wanted - my OH currently cycles most days from here to the South West corner of the City and it takes him about 35 mins on a bike - would probably take only a little less in a car!

Diane

Hi Deb,

I can recommend some suburbs to live in, as I have lived in Adelaide most of my life. Hazelwood Park and Hyde Park are very nice suburbs located in the south-eastern/eastern suburbs with very large parks . Hyde Park is only 10 minutes drive from the CBD, but is still spacious with a huge park and is quiet. They are both expensive suburbs. The suburbs of Flagstaff Hill, Aberfoyle Park and Happy Halley which are located due south of the CBD, about a half hour drive away and all border each other have lots of parks and free space as well as primary and high schools, sporting clubs and shops. The prices are alot cheaper than other suburbs previously mentioned.

The Adelaide Hills is another location you could try. Towns such as Stirling and Aldgate are very picturesque and would remind you of England especially during the autumn. These towns are only 30 minutes drive from the Adelaide CBD. There is also a bus service that runs to and from these towns. House prices are however quite high.

OH no Hubby has started doing his own research (he is quite subbon about his commute times) He has come up with Underdale as he said high school looks good has liner park easy drive for him to beverley (the whole point of his research!!) bus routes to city for me (I may cycle if quite flat!) has anyone any experiance of this area or surouding suburbs???

Deb x

Hi Deb,

Yes a suburb I would recommend is Lockleys. It has a long trail that runs from the city to the beach for both walking and cycling that is located on the Torrens Outlet River. There are spacious parks and it is literally only 2 suburbs away from Beverley and there is a bus that runs into the city along Henley Beach Road. Some of the prices of houses can be a bit high. There is a few houses in the area that are more upmarket then the other suburbs bit it is nicer than Underdale. However quite close to the airport.

James

Hi Deb,

Yes a suburb I would recommend is Lockleys. It has a long trail that runs from the city to the beach for both walking and cycling that is located on the Torrens Outlet River. There are spacious parks and it is literally only 2 suburbs away from Beverley and there is a bus that runs into the city along Henley Beach Road. Some of the prices of houses can be a bit high. There is a few houses in the area that are more upmarket then the other suburbs bit it is nicer than Underdale. However quite close to the airport.

James

Hi James

is it a problem living that close to the airport (do planes take off and land via the sea approach??) I will have to do a drive around (will be there in 8 weeks and scary that I still don't have a plan for house and school ect) and may include henley and seaton but a few pricey houses there next to ones that look like they are falling down

I am finding it hard to pin down nicer areas within hubbys commute preferance as nice bits seem on same street almost to shabby bits???

Deb x

As others have said, if you are looking at the western suburbs you will have to drive around when you get here as there are pockets of nice houses and other streets a bit more run down. The advantage of this area is that it isn't too far from the city or the beach. The closer you live to the beach, the less busy the surrounding roads. West Lakes shopping centre isn't too far, there are other smaller shopping areas at Fulham (on Tapleys Hill Road) and Findon (on Grange Road), its convenient for AAMI stadium if you want to go and see the football, the Entertainment Centre, Hindmarsh stadium (soccer), the Thebarton Theatre, the airport, Glenelg, and Port Adelaide and its museums.

Many of the western suburbs like Seaton, Findon, Lockleys, Underdale and Fulham Gardens are 50s and 60s housing which are perhaps not so attractive as older and newer houses, but they tend to be on reasonably large plots and solidly built. Some have been done up really nicely. Some roads are tree lined, others are not and are quite bare.

In Underdale there is a newish development of houses built on the old Underdale college campus, lovely houses but most have tiny back gardens. We went round the show homes on our trip there last year. My husband is originally from Seaton, it is a large suburb and quite mixed, some older houses further north. Its worth having a look at Woodville South and West, there are some beautiful old villas there on large plots, but I tend to find that area quite busy. There are some nice pockets of houses in Kidman Park too, you've just got to look around.

We ourselves may be heading for Fulham Gardens when we get there as we know someone who has a house coming up for rent there. It's an area I've never really paid much attention to, but it is close to Henley and the beach so its in a good position. The high school is Henley High if you live west of Tapleys Hill Road, not sure which one if you are east of the road. Seaton High is getting a good reputation too. See http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/locs/pages/default/HS_Zoning_Region_04/

Grange is a nice area, so is Henley, so too is Lockleys, we have friends who live there and the street they live on is a very pleasant quiet residential street.

As for the airport, the planes take off and land over the coast just north of Glenelg North, south of West Beach. I used to live in Glenelg North and too be honest we just got used to the noise and didn't notice it after a while - Adelaide isn't a particulary busy airport. There is another NW/SE runway which isn't very long and as far as I know it is only used for light aircraft, not jets. I've seen them coming in to land from the sea just south of Henley jetty.

I've probably confused you even more now!! Good luck!