English Test - Has anyone else sat the IELTS ?

Guest The Morleys

Guest The Morleys

Hello,

I am a nurse and have to sit an English Test in order to gain registration with the nursing board of South Australia, Just wondering if anyone else has sat one and can tell me what it was like? I'm a bit worried, I got a B in GCSE english ... but that was a long time ago :confused:.

Thanks

Nina

:wubclub:

hi nina

im also a nurse and had to sit the test in order to gain pm visa. the test is straight forward enough and im sure you want have a problem passing it. however i would advise you to prepare for the test just so you know what to expect. i bought some books over the internet and found they really helped a lot.

tess

its reading, writing speaking and listening. you read some paragraphs then answer some questions on it. you also have to write a short story on a topic which is given to you. you listen to a recording the tape stops then you answer some questions on it. then someone asks you some questions about a topic. the elts book is very good in preparing you for it.

What kind of things do you need to read up on? what kind of test is it ? xx

Guest WoodMartin

I have also sat the IELTS test. As mentioned it was nothing to worry about, however it was very useful to be forewarned so I knew what to expect.

The IELTS website was quite helpful... try this link: http://www.ielts.org/test_takers_information/how_do_i_prepare.aspx

My worst grade was in the speaking part... much to the amusement of friends! Think it was the odd experience of concentrating hard and not speaking bad.... ;-)

Ali

• 3 months later...
Guest cliveost

Hi my OH has to sit the test too and we have purchased the official test practice book from the website it comes with a cd for the listening part. I think it is the academic test you have to do and the score required is 7 for each part i think but you have to do it in 1 sitting ie if you dont get 7 in 1 of the parts then you have to resit the whole test and its a full day. Thats how we believe it works but not 100% sure.

Its held on a sat in Manchester twice a month not sure about anywhere else. The test looks quite straitforward though.

Guest thekings

Hi nurses have to sit the academic test and must get 7 or over in all four parts of the test. Gaining three 9's and one 6 although overall is over 7 is not considered a pass for nurses. As above is well worth revising for just so you know the format. Get any IELTS 7 book from the library (its free) and swot up on it. There's one book with mock exams in it and you can get an audio CD to go with it for the listening part. (one of my exam questions was in this book!!!)

My advice is swot up on it, BUT for at least 3 or more days before the test do nothing, relax and empty/declutter your mind.

I was dead worried about it even on the day, I managed an overall of 9 out of 9 and oim from suffolk bor :biglaugh:. So if oi carn pars then anyone carn bor ;)

Good luck and don't worry too much you have the biggest advantage of all!!!!!! You are already English. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest thekings

Congrats cruise, tis a good feeling isn't it? I got more excited about passing this than skills assessment, medicals and finally getting the visa :biglaugh::biglaugh:

• 1 month later...

I had my IELTs on Saturday. The reading was more difficult i thought. I practiced this test the most and always answered every question with time to spare to read through and check my answers. This didn't happen on Saturday! Was very much pushed for time on this one so fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...
Got my results today...I passed!!

Reading 7.5, listening 8.5, writing 8.5, speaking 9 = overall 8.5

I'm chuffed to bits, rose wine later

Thats great news, that mean yo can speak proper like :)

So glad we didnt have to do all this uwhen we had to get here.....

Northern monkey cross Gloucestershire farmer would have been weird....:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Good luck with the next step, and ctach youn here soon

HG

Nar then bein a Barnsley lass a think a did well, can talk proper good English tha knows ;)

It's rubbish that a born and bred Brit has to do this test, although you can see why they ask for it. I wish this country did the same.

Thanks for the good luck wishes, just wish this next year would hurry up!

Bev

Thats great news, that mean yo can speak proper like :)

So glad we didnt have to do all this uwhen we had to get here.....

Northern monkey cross Gloucestershire farmer would have been weird....:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Good luck with the next step, and ctach youn here soon

HG