More silly questions!!

Janine and Richard

Hi

I need a new mobile do I wait till I get to Adelaide or do I get one from Uk, will be in Adelaide in Nov 09 so can wait if need to.

Also I know this has been asked before does a UK single matteress fit the bases in Oz or do I need to buy new bases here to take in container.

Also the removal man said dont take the wooden hammock as it might have to be x-rayed and its expensive.

And will my son's full driving licence be swopped to an oz one if under 12 months since he passed his test?

I will have loads more questions I am sure these have come up this week and we have another 7 weeks till we leave... Hope you can help.

Regards Janine

Guest Andrew&Ren

Dont worry we asked some pretty silly questions before we got here! Thats what this site is for...

The only thing i can help with really is the mobile question....mobile phones here are really expensive, id say get one before you move x

Hi

If you're getting new mobile,ask the store if it'll work in Oz and you have to unlock it. We have O2 n Ericson phones, they offer to unlock(25 quid ea)it but said still not sure not if it'll work. It's too much hassle so we decided just to buy it fr here(Nokia) but can be costly.

Your hammock,is the wood treated?

Hope this helps.

Guest chloebopper

Hi Janine

We brought oue mobiles with us and just got pre paid (pay as u go) sim cards when we arrived. Its from optus and when you top up (minimum of $30) you get yor credit, plus bonus credit, plus an amount of credit to use to other optus users , plus so many mb's to access internet. Also you get 2 extras via promotion code, such as bundle of txts, mins etc. I topped up $70 and got $70 credit, $480 bonus credit, $200 to use to other optus users and so much internet use, plus 2 extas. If you top up again (min $30) u can roll unused credit over. It costs $1.35 min to phone uk mobiles or landlines, I phone my daughter in the uk most days for 10-20 mins, plus all other calls here, houses, jobs etc and its been enough. I dont know about other networks and contracts as we've only been here 5 weeks.

The single beds appear to be same size, there are also a few king size single beds, we bought our 5 year old daughter one, its huge and plenty of room.

Our son passed his test 10 months ago but because of his age -18- he has to have whats called a 'p2' licence until he's 19, then he can have a full SA licence. He doesn't have to disply 'p' plates, he cannot consume any amount of alcohol if driving, he must carry his licence with him at all times, and he cannot use a hands free mobile in car, so no phone calls what so ever in car. Other than that he's ok, no additional tests needed.

You pay for your driving licence for a period of time, ie, between 1-5 years and you have to pay each time you renew. You also have to pay stamp duty when you buy a car of ANY age, private or car dealer, and its a percentage of the cost of the car. Also you pay $21 registration fee to transfere into your name. Quite expensive really. Old cars are really expensive to buy if your sons looking at an older one (our son is), around $4000 for a car around 15 years old, you can get some abit cheaper but v. old. However the body work doesn't age as they do in uk so some cars don't look their age. You carnt tell by looking at car how old it is as the reg plate gives no indication.

When our stuff was packed by removers we were told not to take any untreated wood as it would be disposed of and we would be charged.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Michelle

Guest graandjac

;)now they really are silly questions........only kidding, the driving license thing is ok I think as long as its a full license he has. When you go to do your insurance, if you have to claim you might find(as I did )that you have extra excess as I only had an aussie license for under 3 years...!!! and the mobile question, get one there and get it unlocked then you can just pick up a sim card on arrival and you have a working phone straight away. good luck

A big thank you to you all as usual this site is the best and the people always come up trumps with great info. Thanks again you only have to answer another 7 weeks of silly questions from me and then there will be nothing more I can do as I will be my way.

Graham and Jacqui great sense of humour I have laughed at many of your replies over the months.

Regards Janine:)

Buy a mobile in the UK, get it unlocked and buy a pre paid sim card, most of the major mobile companies have some good offers, ie $30 top up gets you $150 call/text time etc

As for the driving license, i think that may depend on where you go, my daughter was 18 when we arrivedand had had her license since 17, because it was a fulll license they exchanged it for a full one here, no P plates or any restrictions. I know someone though from the other side of the city whose son had to disply P plates and then moved onto P2's. maybe it just depends on who you get on the day :)

Best of luck with your move to Adelaide... lets hope the weather improves before you arrive :)