New Visa Rules Whats Everyone Doing ?

minty

Hi all,

Been away for a few weeks working hard got back to read bad news about the changes to the visas. We are half way through vetassess and then will be going down the 176 state sponsorship route as an electrician and from what i now understand we can continue down this route but the visa will sit on a shelf untill 2012. After a bit of thinking we have decided to push on as normal and get the visa lodged as quickly as possible and see where it takes us. By the sounds of what ive read its just migration slowing everything down untill the receccion is over so in my view the quicker we can get the visa in the higher up the pile it will be when they start processing again.

Anyone else in the same boat and what are you guys doing, also anyone got any idea of what quicker ways are left for a family of four going over on a 176 as an electrician. Hope you guys that have already lodged visas are allowed to carry on as normal.

Slightly peeved but still dreaming.

Guest thekings

We are on a 175 visa application but are lucky enough to be on the CSL, our hearts go out to those who have to wait. Some friends of ours here in England were at this point when they heard the news this week: state sponsored, just come back from reccie, medicals and police checks done, interviews carried out, notice handed in, house up for sale, children listed for school, they were literally about to be handed their visa!!! Needless to say they are absolutely beside themselves. Rumour has it that they were representatives from the SA and Western Australian governments promoting the sponsored route only 2 days before the announcement was made and they hadn't been informed!! All I can say to those people in limbo is hang in there and lets hope that the exchange rate is better in 2012.

On a 475 SS visa process (Via Regional skills list but not on CSL), was just about to lodge full application after getting the SS from SA but now am gutted. Truly numb and unsure of what to do. WE could spend the few grand and still be waiting til 2012. We are having to a full life check now as we had already mentally moved in the summer next year and were saving and sorting stuff out.

Now I think we may well end up waiting for a year to see what happens as the MODL is definitely going to change and I think there will be more moves afoot.

Guest MutleyCrew

Hi,

We are on the 475 state sponsored route. O/H passed vetassess 2 weeks ago. Were in process of applying for sponsorship but had notification last Thursday that we can't go any further with that unless he has an offer of employment. Without a job offer will not be able to process any further. Had IELTS test booked already for last Saturday but decided to go ahead with it as payed for anyway. Just got to wait for results! Got to admit, we don't know really what to do now? Having a few discussions as to whether to carry on. Possibly considering NZ which we did a reccie to also last year.:arghh::mad::sad:

Anyway, waying up the options for now before deciding which way to turn.....??:skeptical:

This is a good thread, thank you.

We too are in the process of getting qualifications assessed and are applying for the 176 - thankfully OH is on the CSL. We figure the whole process will take us another few months longer than we hoped. In the grand scheme of things a few months is nothing.

I just really feel for everyone who has been put back years. The prospect of having your life on hold for so long must be dreadful!

Hi,

We are on the 475 state sponsored route. O/H passed vetassess 2 weeks ago. Were in process of applying for sponsorship but had notification last Thursday that we can't go any further with that unless he has an offer of employment. Without a job offer will not be able to process any further. Had IELTS test booked already for last Saturday but decided to go ahead with it as payed for anyway. Just got to wait for results! Got to admit, we don't know really what to do now? Having a few discussions as to whether to carry on. Possibly considering NZ which we did a reccie to also last year.:arghh::mad::sad:

Anyway, waying up the options for now before deciding which way to turn.....??:skeptical:

Does anyone know if they have stopped state sponsorship for the 176 visas aswell ? or is this just for the 475 visas ?. Also Im 38 and an electrician does anyone know if i have enough points to do the 175 visa if i do ILETS aswell ?. Thanks all.

Guest nurse sue
Does anyone know if they have stopped state sponsorship for the 176 visas aswell ? or is this just for the 475 visas ?. Also Im 38 and an electrician does anyone know if i have enough points to do the 175 visa if i do ILETS aswell ?. Thanks all.

have a look at the immigration site, theres a points calculator on there. :wubclub:

have a look at the immigration site, theres a points calculator on there. :wubclub:

Ok, They say that every cloud has a silver lining and if i have done my maths right after dismissing it becouse i did not look properly I think I have enough points to get a 175 visa.

Can one of you visa savvy bright sparks confirm this for me.

Aged 38, General Electrician, been employed for all of the last 7 years in my trade.

Points required for 175 visa - 120

Ive got -

Age - 20

Language without ILETS - 15 (25) if i do ILETS

ocupation - 60 (code 4311-11 on the SOL & MODL lists)

Specific work experience - 10

Ocupation in demand - 15

Total - 120 (130) if i do ILETS.

If this is correct then i dont need the state sponsorship and although i will still have to possibly wait untill 2012.

This is of course if they stop issuing state sponsorship on the 176 ?.

Can't believe we sneaked in, our visa grant letter for our 475 was dated 2 days before the changes took place. I really feel for all you guys left in limbo, its not really fair to just put everything on hold when so many people are so far down the line of what is a long (and expensive) process.

Guest nurse sue
Ok, They say that every cloud has a silver lining and if i have done my maths right after dismissing it becouse i did not look properly I think I have enough points to get a 175 visa.

Can one of you visa savvy bright sparks confirm this for me.

Aged 38, General Electrician, been employed for all of the last 7 years in my trade.

Points required for 175 visa - 120

Ive got -

Age - 20

Language without ILETS - 15 (25) if i do ILETS

ocupation - 60 (code 4311-11 on the SOL & MODL lists)

Specific work experience - 10

Ocupation in demand - 15

Total - 120 (130) if i do ILETS.

If this is correct then i dont need the state sponsorship and although i will still have to possibly wait untill 2012.

This is of course if they stop issuing state sponsorship on the 176 ?.

have you passed your skills assessment yet, and do you satisfy all the basic requirements?

if yes, then congratulations you pass the points test and can apply for a 175 :notworthy:

just make sure you can prove all your working hours etc ...

sue ;)

Half way throug the skills assesment, all paperwork done practical on the 28TH October. Not dying of anythink i know about and to fast to get caught doing anything wrong :policeman: (well i used to be anyway) should be OK.

have you passed your skills assessment yet, and do you satisfy all the basic requirements?

if yes, then congratulations you pass the points test and can apply for a 175 :notworthy:

just make sure you can prove all your working hours etc ...

sue ;)

Guest JUSTIN27

To all,

Only one week after the changes made by the DIAC regarding processing priority on GSM visa, we’ve seen loads of applicants were affected by this erratic change both in financially and emotionally. For those who had applied for state sponsorship without CSL occupation stands at the 2nd processing priority but now grammatically drop to the 5th.. As the information indicated in the DIAC’s website that those applicants, even though they are during their final stage of processing, would be affected and their cases wouldn’t be finalized for years. We’ve seen lots of disappointments, angers and tears up to now. However, we, the poorer, need to unity together and produce a strong voice to the parties concerned. Your voice needs to be properly addressed visa the following channels so that relevant department-DIAC may take it into consideration. So if you are unsatisfied with DIAC' recent policy on priority processing changes. Please follow the below more detail instructions (that’s what I did).

1. Complaints made to ombudsman:

Make a complaint

• Enquiries 9am—5pm (AEST) Monday to Friday – 1300 362 072 (Calls from mobile phones are charged at mobile phone rates.)
    Complaints can be made in writing, by phone, in person or by using our online complaint form – opens in new window.

Our offices are located in Adelaide, Alice Springs, Brisbane, Canberra, Darwin, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney

Steps: (1) log on to www.ombusman.gov.au and then click on the complaints (2) click on online compliant (3) answer yes to the first two questions (4) proceed to complain (5) fill in the content (6)Done -->only few minutes

2. Complaints or suggestions to your sponsoring states or territories:

Steps: (1) search for the website for your sponorsing state government, e.g. South Australia-->www.immigrationsa.gov.au (2) online enquiry or complaint form (3) fill in the contents (4) submit

3. Complaints or suggestions to DIAC:

Steps: (1) go to www.immi.gov.au (2) search for pre-lodgement enquiry form or post-lodgement enquiry form whichever is relevant to your case (3) fill in the content of your complaint (4) submit

Wish what we have done would make a huge difference soon. For all you guys, we need your voice in this issue. Many thanks!

Cheers,

JUSTIN

Guest nurse sue

whilst i understand your frustration at being so close to visa grant, i dont think complaining will do much - they have made these changes because of the recession; there is no point allowing thousands of people into the country when there arent enough jobs to go round.

but, i would certainly make a noise about the costs incurred though, on that point you have my support for sure! they need to be reimbursing people full costs if its obvious they wont get thier applications processed before police checks/medicals expire. to not reimburse is tantamount to daylight robbery ... not good press for the governing party in the upcoming election one would think.

I dont think for one minute that this will last for 3 years. The recession has peaked and will start clearing in another 6 - 12 months, and due to the new mining programes in WA the demand for labour will rise. Basicly they have put the brakes on migration and as soon as the market dictates that they need more labour then they will drop the restrictions. Untill then we wait.

I dont think for one minute that this will last for 3 years. The recession has peaked and will start clearing in another 6 - 12 months, and due to the new mining programes in WA the demand for labour will rise. Basicly they have put the brakes on migration and as soon as the market dictates that they need more labour then they will drop the restrictions. Untill then we wait.

Hi The Bacons, I saw your post the other day about 175/176 visa. I'm also an electrician. I/ we(family) qualified for 175 visa with 130 points but as we were about to process our application they droped electricians off the CSL (16th march). This ment that to speed things up we changed to a SA state sponsor a bit more money to lay out as a change of direction. This at least guaranteed that our application would be looked at. As for yourself, your on POMS IN ADELAIDE so I take it SA is where you want to head. Therefore State sponsor would still pip 175 perminante to a quicker grant. Do your 2 years in Adelaide then the worlds your oyster (Well Australia).

We are over the moon that we have had our visa's granted and had no idea of the recent change. Keep in there and it WILL happen.

Hi all,

Been away for a few weeks working hard got back to read bad news about the changes to the visas. We are half way through vetassess and then will be going down the 176 state sponsorship route as an electrician and from what i now understand we can continue down this route but the visa will sit on a shelf untill 2012. After a bit of thinking we have decided to push on as normal and get the visa lodged as quickly as possible and see where it takes us. By the sounds of what ive read its just migration slowing everything down untill the receccion is over so in my view the quicker we can get the visa in the higher up the pile it will be when they start processing again.

Anyone else in the same boat and what are you guys doing, also anyone got any idea of what quicker ways are left for a family of four going over on a 176 as an electrician. Hope you guys that have already lodged visas are allowed to carry on as normal.

Slightly peeved but still dreaming.

Hi, wondering if you can give us any advice or point us in the right direction with our visa issue:

Applied for skilled (bricklayer) sponsored (sister) visa 176, then bricklayer taken off CSL so applied for state sponsor (approved). I have a job offer in Australia with brother in law who has own building company but as he only employs staff on a sub-contract basis cannot sponsor me as 'employee sponsor' (i think). We are now back to priority 5 & our visa will not be processed until 2012. I am 41 now with 2 kids aged 12 & 9 so the clock is seriously ticking. Life already been on hold for over 12 months so cannot keep going till 2012. Any advice you can give would be so much appreciated. Cheers, David n co

Guest covfan71

Hi, we are on a 475 and are just the medicals and police checks away from our Visa being granted(we hoping by Xmas). Am i right in saying that i will now have to wait much longer than planned. The job front and the crash in the exchange rate is giving us cause for concern anyway.

Guest suttons
Hi, wondering if you can give us any advice or point us in the right direction with our visa issue:

Applied for skilled (bricklayer) sponsored (sister) visa 176, then bricklayer taken off CSL so applied for state sponsor (approved). I have a job offer in Australia with brother in law who has own building company but as he only employs staff on a sub-contract basis cannot sponsor me as 'employee sponsor' (i think). We are now back to priority 5 & our visa will not be processed until 2012. I am 41 now with 2 kids aged 12 & 9 so the clock is seriously ticking. Life already been on hold for over 12 months so cannot keep going till 2012. Any advice you can give would be so much appreciated. Cheers, David n co

Hi David n Co,

we have an agent and are in the same position as you. OH is a mechanic, (non CSL) we have state sponsorship approved, had our medicals and police checks requested and uploaded and now..... nothing, we can either sit it out and wait until they start processing again (not an option we want to consider) or we have to find an employer willing to sponsor OH, that is the only route at the moment (very cross about the situation, but nothing we can do) we wanted to go out in Jan 2010, not sure when it might happen now. Good luck.

Hi all

We have changed from 175 to 176 when skill was taken off CSL

We were asked by DIAC to have police checks and meds done in August which by the end of August all done only to find out 23 days later they will probibly be no good by the time our visa will be processed they will be out of date (only last 1 year) and will cost another grand. Was this rash by DIAC or what . Not happy but what can we do!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest tooeasy

hi just to let all you electricians out there know the work has picked up and at the moment there is more electricians jobs in the paper than there has been in 6-9 months and by word of mouth I have been hearing about more work than ever we have been here 18months now and had no problem with work

Guest covfan71

Hi, just had a reply from my case officer regarding time scale for our Visa. See below

"

Dear Mr Tolan,

Thank you for your email.

At the moment, due to the changes to the skilled migration program, we can not confirm as to how long you have to wait for your application to be finalised.

ASPC is developing procedures to process applications in accordance with the new Government Direction that has been announced effective 23 September 2009. CSL cases will be given the highest priority and that is where the ASPC will be focussing its attention.

Once the ASPC has established processing arrangements for CSL cases, we will be in a position to provide further advice, which, hopefully can be done by the end of October 2009"

Lets see what they say at the end of October then.

Guest JUSTIN27
Hi, just had a reply from my case officer regarding time scale for our Visa. See below

"

Dear Mr Tolan,

Thank you for your email.

At the moment, due to the changes to the skilled migration program, we can not confirm as to how long you have to wait for your application to be finalised.

ASPC is developing procedures to process applications in accordance with the new Government Direction that has been announced effective 23 September 2009. CSL cases will be given the highest priority and that is where the ASPC will be focussing its attention.

Once the ASPC has established processing arrangements for CSL cases, we will be in a position to provide further advice, which, hopefully can be done by the end of October 2009"

Lets see what they say at the end of October then.

Dear,

Assuming at least few months delay in processing for those non-CSL state sponsored applicants.

cheers,

JUSTIN

Dear,

Assuming at least few months delay in processing for those non-CSL state sponsored applicants.

cheers,

JUSTIN

I was thinking this may be the case...I'm sure that it will not be as bad as it first seemed and SS visa's will still be high on the top of the pile for processing.

joolz x

Guest covfan71
I was thinking this may be the case...I'm sure that it will not be as bad as it first seemed and SS visa's will still be high on the top of the pile for processing.

joolz x

If by the term SS you mean "State Sponsorship" then they will not be top of their pile for processing. They have been moved to the bottom of the pile. That is the whole point of this thread