Excess baggage

Guest markjohn

Guest markjohn

Hi all,

We are within 6 weeks of arriving in Adelaide on a 495 visa.I have looked through all the relevant threads about excess baggage allowance.

Now starting to panic as cant find out if you are entitled to the extra allowance on a 495 visa.

Any help gratly appreciated as it affects what is shipped next week

Thanks Mark

Guest Allie Bloss

I think it depends on your airline.

We booked with Singapore air & they allow double baggage so long as we can show our (unstamped) visa.

This gives us 40kg per person.

I'd contact your air line & ask their advice.

Good luck. xx

Guest kellyp

Hi

We came on a 495 visa 3 years ago and only got 20Kg each with Singapore Airlines but things may have changed so I would check. If in doubt stick it in the container is what I would do as I ended up leaving lot of stuff I could not fit into my cases.

The next six weeks will fly by. Good luck and best wishes.

Kelly

Guest caoimhe

As far as I am aware Singapore Airlines is the only one to give 40kg and thats only with a PR visa not a temp 495, saying that last November we were 37kg over our total allowance with them and after paying £259 to BMI on our Belfast to Heathrow flight I went to the check in agent with Singapore and explained that we were immigrating but only had a temp 3 year visa and that I knew we were 37kg over (between 6 of us), the guy was really nice and told me not to worry about it and didn't change. I think it just depends who you get, after paying BMI £7 per kg I knew the LHR to Adelaide sector would be a least double if not more and was prepared to dump clothes if necessary:goofy:

Guest ben&sharon

Hiya,

We came over with Qantas and got our 40 kilos each, but we had to speak to a particular department in order to get the correct tickets, and there are only so many available as far as I could gather - we weren't given much choice of flights. We are on PR but had previously validated our visas, which I didn't think was permitted, but had no problems. By the sounds of things, it depends who you talk to and what mood they're in as to what they'll give you! Good luck - I know we'd have found things an awful lot more difficult with only half of our allowance.

Sharon.

We came over with Singapore Airlines last week... only allowed 20kg as we are not on a permananet visa, so spent two days before leaving packing, weighing and then unpacking cases frantically trying to get everything in. Packed our hand luggage to the full (although they say you shoudl only have 7kg, hoped they wouldn't check). Sheepishly walked up to check in only to be asked if we wanted to check any extra bags in? Ended up checking 4 suitcases and 2 hand luggage which would have taken us well over the official allowance. The gut at the check in was really nice, in fact he tried to persuade us to check even more, but couldn't because they had the things for the children in. Think as slong as you don't push it too far they are pretty relaxed.

Good luck with your journey.

Julie

Guest kelv&haley

hi ya,

we have just boked our flights and i telephoned BA,who advised they dont offer extra baggage for migrants but told me that qantas do.....telephoned qantas and they said you cant book online,you have to fone and request a 'migrant fare'.......as qantas prices were so much higher we ended up booking with BA on the dates we wanted and are sending some extra stuff in boxes with voovit.com as this works out cheaper than excess baggage prices,hope this helps,its what we found suited our budget and dates best,haley

Guest chloebopper

Hi there

We arrived 6 weeks ago and flew with quantas. We got a good deal on the flights and got 40kgs each. To get this we had to register with HiFX, a currency exchange company, it was no commitment to use their service whatsoever. Once we registered I phoned them up and they gave me a password to give to Quantas when I phoned for a quote. They gave discounted flights, cheaper than any other prices I had looked at, and 40kg of luggage. However they did say the extra luggage was only free to your first point of arrival in Australia, so rather than fly from London to Sidney then to Adelaide, we flew London to Singapore then to Adelaide (if that makes sence) and then we didnt pay any extra. This deal is available on both temporary and permanent visas. To find out more on this offer look on Hifx website. Hope this helps.

Michelle

Guest Woody and Jane

We're flying with BA on November 3rd and they only offer the standard 23kg which isn't brilliant. I did however speak to a great operator who told me there was no weight limit on hand bagage and I don't know if you've seen the maximum size of hand luggage but it's litterally half a big suitcase.

Laptops aren't classed as hand bagage so keep that in its own seperate bag if you're worried about the weight of a bag. I'll personally will be taking 1 large suitcase, 1 big as I can hand baggage item and a laptop.

We were also told we could take an extra suitcase for about £70, I don't know how that compares to shipping a box over though.

Guest Linda_mi

Is it true the election to apply excess contributions to the PFB must be made before the end of the plan year?If that is true can the plan sponsor elect to apply receivables in excess of the MRC to the PFB, OR can the receivables just not be applied to the PFB?

Hi all,

We are within 6 weeks of arriving in Adelaide on a 495 visa.I have looked through all the relevant threads about excess baggage allowance.

Now starting to panic as cant find out if you are entitled to the extra allowance on a 495 visa.

Any help gratly appreciated as it affects what is shipped next week

Thanks Mark

Hi Mark,

we arrived last week but cannot help you as we were tied to the max with Virgin Blue (23kg's) as we came via Melbourne. We we're massively over fro them - mmm forgot about the weight of the two golf bags - free on most international flights.

Maybe worth considering not bringing suitcases as they can weigh 5kgs if they are the wheeled variety. We went to argos and bought the very large sports bags which are very light. Be warned though, you can get them very heavy you jam clothes in.

If you are bringing a set of clubs, you might get away with packing the carrier with clothes as they can fit two sets in;)

Good luck,

Cooler

Hi

We flew with Singapore Airlines (fab!) and despite weighing the luggage over and over we were around 12kg over the 20kg each limit. They didnt bat an eye and didnt even mention it! we also maxed out our hand luggage so we managed to sneak around 20kg extra :D

I think that it is only PR that get the 40kg each limit unfortnately but worth phoning to check :)