Changing State sponsorship.

Guest the terry's

Guest the terry's

Hi all,

As some of you may or may not know I joined PIA with the hopes of moving to Adelaide. We applied and got our visa with state sponsorship from Victoria, OH job wasn't on the list for SA at the time we applied so had to go for Victoria. I joined this site the same time as Pete (Django) and Susi (Mozzy), who are already and nearly there respectively. We came over to Australia beginning of March '09 to validate and we all fell in love with Adelaide and especially Glenelg, stunning place.

This is where our dilema starts, we want to go to Adelaide and don't know if it would be possible to change state sponsorship, OH is a General Plumber and I know they keep putting it on and taking it off the list, a bit annoying but hey ho! So does anyone think we might have a chance of changing states, has anyone on here done just that, anyone with a magical wand !

It breaks my heart to think we will HAVE to go to Victoria for 2 years before thinking of moving to Adelaide and by then everyone would have settled into their new lives and wont want to upsticks all over again :arghh:

I'm going quietly mad, OH is disappointed with the prospect of living somewhere that doesn't capture his heart like me, he loved where we stayed and thought the fountains at Glenelg just topped it off, especially with our little one dancing around in them and when we saw 'Fantasy Homes Downunder' recently and seeing where we went just brought it all back to us that Adelaide is THE PLACE for us.

Thanks for reading this, all answers would be appreciated.:notworthy:

Helenx

Guest thekings

Hi the Terry's, wow what a dilemma, was going to say cant you get sponsored by both but that kind of defeats the object of them sponsoring you. To go for your dream of Adelaide is a gamble whereas Victoria does sound more of a certainty, 2 years isn't so long really specially if you keep in touch with those on here (they seem like a good bunch) you could view going to Victoria as a means to an ends and jumping through yet another hoop. Look at it positively in that you will see a bit more of Australia quicker than the rest of us, or consider it a warm up to Aussie life. :)

I believe it is only a moral obligation and not binding in any way at all. I know people who got sponsership on a 495 for adelaide - didnt like it - went elsewhere, but were limited to regional areas. On a 176 I believe you are free to go anywhere.

Guest the terry's

Thanks guys for the replies. Yes two years doesn't seem long, however, when you have two sons that will most defintely be going to TAFE to carry on learning their skills, to drag them out of one to put them in another is not fair on them, and yes Victoria is a certainty, but that's as you say a means to an end, but it's not where we want to be, and having visited both States SA comes out on top.

Does anyone know that if we went to SA instead of Vic would they have grounds to take our visa away, this is my biggest worry, and really need an answer.

Cheers,

Helenx

Guest the terry's

Well this seems to be the answer to my question here goes......

There is no regulatory requirement to move and spend your two years in the State/Territory who sponsored you, this being on a 176 visa, of which ours is. The only moral thing to do is to let the State/Territory who sponsored you, know that you are moving to another State/Territory, then contact the State/Territory you wish to go to and let them know of your impending move.

This seems to be the case at the moment, but we all know things can change overnight, and that maybe in the future they will change the wording on the declaration to say that if you don't go to the State/Territory who sponsors you your visa will be cancelled and you'll have to apply all over again.

Well all I can say is that we are delighted with the findings, so watch out SA the terry's are on their way (when we sell the house !!!)

Cheers all,

Helenx

Guest mayjess

It is only a moral requirement to stay where you are sponsored for 2 years because we came bk after living in Adelaide (SA sponsored) after one year, changed our SA visas to WA ones, & have changed them back again to SA ones (havent gone bk to OZ yet) it is easily done via email, so dont panick.

Lots of luck

Mayjess