Spouse Visa question!

Guest Nikkic

I am sick of all the different answers so thought I would go straight to the people who really know!!! What is the difference between being granted the temp 309 visa and being granted the perm 100 visa. I know all the 2 year wait stuff however I am getting conflicting answers regarding:

1. Can you go to University on a temp visa without paying stupid money

2. Can you even go to University on a perm visa without paying stupid money

3. How does the different visas effect social security benefits?

4. How does it effect medical benefits?

We were just granted a temp 309 visa although we have been living in the UK together for well over 5 years.

Thanks for your help

Nikki

Guest Aussie pat

Hello there.

I'm afraid I can't give you a full and authoritative response, but here's a few bits and pieces. My husband has a PR spouse visa. We were married 12 years with 2 children at time of applying. Can't really comment on your questions re temp visas as we didn't look into that. On PR, you get full Medicare. I thought on temp visa, you had to rely on reciprocal agreement for health cover, but some posts on here have implied you can get some Medicare on temp visa - maybe others with accurate info could comment. For social security, again on PR you get Family Benefit if you meet the income criteria, but for temp visa, again maybe others will put you right. At time of applying for visa, the situation with unemployment benefit and that type of govt assistance for people with perm residency was that you could not apply for 2 years. Fortunately this has not been a prob for us.

We do not have info about Uni courses as we are too old and our kids are too young so we have not researched that. As you prob already know, international student fees are high, and I believe on temp visa that is what would apply to you. I imagine this will come down with PR, but don't have precise info on that.

I hope that's of help. but I'm sorry if I've not told you anything you don't already know. At least it may kick start some more authoritative replies for you.

Best of luck

Quick answers

1. No

2. No - I don't know specifically but I think you have to pay international rates until citizenship and/or a certain numbers of years in Oz?

3. Yes, you can't get any benefits from Centrelink while on a temp/provisional visa

4. You will be able to get a Medicare card and all health benefits as soon as you arrive on a 309 visa

Not sure if this is of any help:

What does the visa let me do?

The table below gives a summary of what you can do in Australia if you have a temporary or permanent Partner visa.

Visa TypeWhat You Can Do In AustraliaPartner temporary visa (subclass 309)

• you are permitted to enter or remain in Australia with your partner, until a decision is made regarding your permanent visa
  • you are entitled to work in Australia
  • you are entitled to study in Australia, but you will not have access to government funding for tertiary study
  • you may enrol in Australia's medical benefits expenses and hospital care scheme, Medicare.
    See: Medicare

Partner permanent visa (subclass 100)

• you are permitted to enter or remain permanently in Australia with your partner
  • you are entitled to work and study in Australia
  • you may enrol in Australia's medical benefits expenses and hospital care scheme, Medicare.
    See: Medicare
  • you may be eligible to receive certain social security payments (as you are exempt from the two year Newly Arrived Residents Waiting Period)
    See: Centrelink
  • you may be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)
  • you are permitted to enter or remain in Australia with your partner.

Note: You may also be eligible to enrol in Medicare, if you have applied for, but not yet been granted, this visa.

From: http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/partners/partner/309-100/

Jim