what visa??

Guest ladybird

Guest ladybird

We are looking into a skilled visa based on myself as a midwife although hubby is on the skills in demand list as a plasterer. How long does it really take from getting forms, filling them in and sending them as some of the timelines i've noted have been a lot shorter than we expected.

Plus, it all seems such a minefield with all the abbreviations so is using a migration agent better? has anyone used migrationexpert.com? and how much are we actually looking at?

Guest dglamoore

Hi Ladybird

Welcome to the forum! It can be very confusing when you are starting out. I recommend having a free consult with an agent to get an idea of the best visa for you even if you plan to go it alone :D

We used Go Matilda and their charges were £1495 but I also know plenty of others who have gone alone - there is always someone on forums that can answer any questions if you get stuck along the way :D

Good luck

Lisa :lol:

Hi Ladybird

If your hubby is listed on the MODL (jobs in demand) its possible your application could be fast-tracked through the visa process.

Like Lisa says speak to an agent for a free consultation :)

We used Overseas Emigration, ok so far, cost us about £2k though (family of 4), we are also on the SIR495

Good luck

Angela

Guest taylor family

:D Hi ladybird once again welcome

If you are both on the demand list I would go for the permanent resedents visa it takes about a month longer for the process but in two years you dont have the cost of applying for resedensy and I believe you are entitled to more from day one.

And also try for the on line application it seems to be faster I wish we had the chance for on line when we first started the process for we would be there know.

TRA take upto 12 weeks but you can choose the fast track option which costs more but only takes 6 weeks.

hope that gives you some help good luck alan and laura preston lancashire :D:D:D:D:D

Guest ladybird

Thanks for that everyone! I'm starting to work my way through now :shock:

This may seem like a very daft question but what does TRA stand for? Just want to check to make sure i do know what your all talking about!!!

Guest dglamoore

Permanent visas seem to take anything up to 9 months from application but you would also need to get a skills assessment first (TRA or similar).

You can get an idea of visa timelines here - http://www.austimeline.com/

Ours is an SIR 495 which is a temp visa and after 2 years we apply for PR as we are not on the modl list hence have less points. Currently this is the only visa you can apply online for and is slightly faster but has less benefits on arrival in that we receive no benefits.

Our TRA took 18 working days from receipt to decision which was faster than we thought so it is hard to set a timeline in place as they seem to vary hugely!

Each week you can send a blank email to this address (updated Tuesdays) - aspc.processing@immi.gov.au

which will tell you the current processing times for the different visas so will give you an indication on how long from application you would be waiting for a Case Officer.

It can be confusing so always ask on here if you get stuck as one of us is always around to try and help.

Lisa :lol:

Guest ladybird

Thank you - that's what i thought it meant!

I'm a midwife so i'm assuming it's the skills assessment forms from the australian nursing and midwifery council i'll be filling in as my 'TRA'.

We'll be in adelaide in Feb and then we'll will start the process if we like it enough! We just worry that if everything goes through quickly will we be ready/emotionally prepared for it as we've only just decided in the past couple of weeks to go for it and now we have everything booked for visiting already :shock:

Went to oz for honeymoon in oct 2005 to see if we wanted to emigrate but came home pregnant ooooppppppssss!!

• 2 months later...
Guest Django
Went to oz for honeymoon in oct 2005 to see if we wanted to emigrate but came home pregnant ooooppppppssss!!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa :lol: :lol: :lol:

The reason we can't go until next year is because Tracey is pregnant. We have to wait until baby has arrived and Tracey has gone back to work for a few months or pay back all the maternity leave. :? At least it gives us time to sort out a permanent visa. :wink::D

I'm a midwife so i'm assuming it's the skills assessment forms from the australian nursing and midwifery council i'll be filling in as my 'TRA'.

Thats the way we read it. Tracey is a paediatric nurse so TRA is replaced by ANMC. It amounts to the same thing though just a different bunch of people. Oh and we've found that you can get a friendly doctor to validate your documents instead of paying a solicitor for his/her signature. :D