Retiring in Adelaide

Guest Richard

Guest Richard

My only son and family live in Adelaide, I am 62 married would love to join them. Anyone any advice or experience as to whether this is a good idea or not - or is it just best to visit occasionaly. Would appreciate any advice Thanks.

My only son and family live in Adelaide, I am 62 married would love to join them. Anyone any advice or experience as to whether this is a good idea or not - or is it just best to visit occasionaly. Would appreciate any advice Thanks.

Hi we have a son that lives in Adelaide nand we have been out to visit him 3 times once for 6 weeks and twice for 3 months

, Its a place that we could live and we have applied for visa's.

We find it a very friendly place and everyone makes you feel very welcome it's very laid back and easy going with plenty to do and lots of places to visit.

You should go out and visit for a couple of months at least .

Good luck

Les

Guest Guest75

Hi Richard

Welcome to the forum.

What you choose to do will depend on a few things.

1) Can you obtain a visa to live here? - Retirement visa or balance of family visa?

2) Does your wife really want to come out here as well - plus have you been out here.?

3) Does your son and family really want you out here? (Sounds awful but some people will just make nice noises).I'd certainly advise not living too near but not too far away if you know what I mean.

4) You are only a youngster so retiring here will be a doddle.So much to see and do plus there is a very healthy amount of social groups such as the Lions /volunteering.

5) Why not try a few visits out first? Especially during the worst of the UK winters for say 3 months at a time.I'd advise finding a small apartment / rental so you are not imposing too much on your son and family's daily life.I've seen some familys have huge fall outs because they are suddenly with each other 24/7

Hope these thoughts help.

Sure there will be someone else along to give share more thoughts :)

Good luck on your decision.

yep..got to agree with that...or as they say round here: "suck it and see".

- Given that the price of plane flights has been almost static for the 30 years, I've been here, why wouldn't you want to visit a few times before making a decision?

Just one thing: never fly non- stop without a short break somewhere: at the least you'll arrive a lot more relaxed, and I know at least three people who have tried to save time and given themselves Deep Vein Thromboses.

:v_SPIN:

Guest Richard

Les

Thanks for your reply - could I ask which Visa you have applied for was it the Expensive one £15,000 or the cheaper version you have to wait on. Any advice on VIsas. We are gathering info at present. My wife and I live in Shrewsbury.

Regards Richard and Jeannie.

My wife and I have just been granted permanent residence in Australia, but came in on the expensive contributory visa, cost us about £40,000 but at least we get full medicare benefits.

A contributory visa takes about 12 months to get a case officer, and providing everything is ok you may get the Visa granted in about 15 months, otherwise you have to wait for the free Visa which takes anything up to 12 years to get.

Definetly come out for three months on a tourist visa and try it. My wife and I live very full lives and find plenty to do in Adelaide and surrounds, although playing Golf today at about 36c nearly killed me.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Les

Thanks for your reply - could I ask which Visa you have applied for was it the Expensive one £15,000 or the cheaper version you have to wait on. Any advice on VIsas. We are gathering info at present. My wife and I live in Shrewsbury.

Regards Richard and Jeannie.

Hi Richard

We have applied for contributory Parent Visa its the quickest option, The aged parent visa doesn't cost you as much but it can take upto 10 years to be granted, and unfortunatley the cost of the CPV goes up every year and with the cost of the £ =$ its costing more.

Best wishes

Les