Driving Licence - Don't need SA one!

Guest Lisado

Hi

We went to apply for driving licence today but we were told as we on 475 visa and didn't have PR we don't need to apply for Australian licence. When we get PR then we have 3 months to apply. The lady gave us a slip of paper, explaining this, to keep on us in case we were stopped by police but she said as long as we always have our UK one then thats that

I wasn't sure if everyone knew this as we obviously didn't

Lisa

True I guess but we didn't need anything for mobiles, blockbuster card, buying a car or rental

Will be worth getting one but least there isn't the need to rush off and get one ASAP

Lisa

You will need to carry your passport with you at all times when driving then, as well as your UK license. A lot easier to have your aussie driving license in your purse with your credit cards than all the rest in your handbag! Also I need my aussie driving license whenever I pick up a parcel at the post office as ID - I know a passport would be ust as good, but a lot quicker to use something they're familiar with!

I still don't understand though how a UK license can be valid if you are no longer resident at the address in the UK shown on the document! I'd be interested to hear the point of veiw from anyone who's here in SAPOL and came from the UK Police. Often I find the people in the Adelaide equivalent of the DVLC offices here don't really seem to know the rules, as one will tell you something, and another something completely different!!

I believe you can drive on a u.k license BUT having heard the horror tales of people trying to convince an ozzie policeman that its valid - well its not really worth the hassle.

When we arrived on our SIR visa one of the first thngs we did was get our Aussie driving licence even though we'd been advised from sites like this we could continue to drive on the UK one. We're here for good, so why not have the appropriate licence? It's easier to cart around than a passport (credit card size so fits in the wallet) and is a useful form of ID. Different people make difference choices (and good on 'em) but for us it was a no-brainer.

Jim

Guest kangomik

you are correct, you cannot get a aussie licence if on a temp visa.

You do not need to re sit a test.

You are supposed to change within 3 months, mine took a while longer.

They shouldn't punch a hole in your UK licence.

Like Diane says you MUST have a passport with you when driving on a UK licence.

You will need to carry your passport with you at all times when driving then, as well as your UK license. A lot easier to have your aussie driving license in your purse with your credit cards than all the rest in your handbag! Also I need my aussie driving license whenever I pick up a parcel at the post office as ID - I know a passport would be ust as good, but a lot quicker to use something they're familiar with!

I still don't understand though how a UK license can be valid if you are no longer resident at the address in the UK shown on the document! I'd be interested to hear the point of veiw from anyone who's here in SAPOL and came from the UK Police. Often I find the people in the Adelaide equivalent of the DVLC offices here don't really seem to know the rules, as one will tell you something, and another something completely different!!

How can you expect to carry your passport around with you in your car. It must be much more hassle if you lose your passport, or the car gets stolen with your passport/visa in it. I thought you had up to three months to change it to an Australian Driving Licence. How does this affect your insurance policy as you are driving on a foreign license. If you have points on your licence does that come into effect as you are using a UK licence and not a clean new Oz licence

Guest Jo&Phil

Licences are the remit of the state govt and you're info is absolutely correct. However it is very useful to have the piece of paper explaining the rules as not all police officers know this - particularly country ones. This may be because the rules re getting an SA licence when you move from another state are completely different and their experience will usually be with this issue not the recent overseas arrival. I had this experience in the Barossa (after being caught going a wee bit too quick!) Didn't think it was the time to argue the toss and fortunately didn't need to in the end - but it would have been a pain to have to argue it if I had got a summons though fortunately I do have access to freebie legal advice (you can meet some very useful people if pubs!)

When I didn't have an SA licence I found my passport and bills usually got me to the 100 points for ID and I used to take my passport when sending overseas parcels.

The best bit is ..... when you do change over to an SA licence you can a) keep your UK one (although they take them off you if you're from another state) and ... this is the best bit b) you don't have to take a test ........phew! Well you didn't a couple of year's ago when I did mine but I guess everything can change

You can get a aussie driving licence on a temp visa - we did. Howevere you do not need to.

Catherine

We got one as they change the rules on driving licenses all the time if they will give you one without a written or practical test get one as they may change the rules and you will need to sit test again. You get to keep uk one as well

The point I was trying to make is for those of us on the 475 - there isn't a need to panic in rushing out to get a licence when we have so much else happening - schools / job hunting, medicare, etc. It gives us a bit of respite.

We will apply for one as we know its a perfect form of ID, etc - we just have a little more time.

We went the 2nd day we arrived to get one and they sent us away as we didn't have a letter with our address on.

The information she gave us to carry around explains everything. She never said we needed to carry our passport either.

Guest steph&neil

Hi we have been here for 19 months & on a 457 (temp visa) & checked with 2 SAPOL friends(both are from the UK) you are fine driving with your UK licence as it is a commonwealth country. Neil has been stopped twice & as long as you have your UK licence to show them then it is not a problem, you dont need your passport as well, I wouldnt risk losing it by carrying it around.

We we able to use our visa debit cards & passports for opening bank accounts & the rental, once you have a rental you get your utity agreement & this is fine for all the other things you mentioned, so I would save your money & get it when you have to! but do remember that the UK licence are valid for 10 years from issue! re the address issue you are still a perm resident of the Uk so should use a relatives address as a C/O anyway, DVLA dont write to you with a reminder about the expiry so do make sure you check you expiry date

Guest daysdownunder

You're completely right - the only pros and cons we have found is we had a mate that got caught speeding in a rental car just after arriving and beacuse he was on his UK license the fine was sent to the UK with a big admin charge for doing so, so instead of the $250 fine he got a $500 fine.

But on the bright side the points don't show in Oz so keeps your insurance premium down!

Just drive steady and you'll have no probs.

Guest steph&neil

Hi all temp visa holders can get an sa licence - but it is a choice so not an obligation, UNLESS you current licence is about to expire, also you dont need to carry you passport & they are not permitted to punch holes in uk photo licence - the following link explains it all

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport,+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Interstate+and+international+motorists/International+motorists/Driving+with+an+overseas+licence

Hi all temp visa holders can get an sa licence - but it is a choice so not an obligation, UNLESS you current licence is about to expire, also you dont need to carry you passport & they are not permitted to punch holes in uk photo licence - the following link explains it all

www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport,+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Interstate+and+international+motorists/International+motorists/Driving+with+an+overseas+licence

I'm faily certain someone from this forum was fined for driving on a Uk licence without carring her passport.:)

Simon

Guest steph&neil

Hiya I am speaking from experience & you can't be fined for not carrying your passport, but you can be fined for not carrying your driving licence whether it is SA or UK one x

Pretty sure you'll find the fine applies to not carrying your driving licence if your on P's. If you look at you r licence it states that it "should" be carried, but the law states that it is not mandatory unless your on your P's, where it states you MUST carry your licence. If the person got fined simply for not carrying their licence and tey had a full icence, then they should have contested it, as it was incorrect.

Pretty sure you'll find the fine applies to not carrying your driving licence if your on P's. If you look at you r licence it states that it "should" be carried, but the law states that it is not mandatory unless your on your P's, where it states you MUST carry your licence. If the person got fined simply for not carrying their licence and tey had a full icence, then they should have contested it, as it was incorrect.

In relation to having a PR licence and getting an SA one, I asked when I got mine and they said it was not an offence to not have your licence with you. It is an offence to show your UK licence once you get your SA one though.

Cooler