Main reason for migrating to SA

Diane

What is the main reason you came to SA/are coming to SA?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. What is the main reason you came to SA/are coming to SA?

• Better career prospects/change of career direction
    • Better weather
    • To get away from the UK
    • To be with family/friends already here
    • For an adventure, or just because you could/can
    • SA the only place offering Australian visa for your skills
    • Better future for your children
    • Other (please post reason in the thread)

After a (heated!) discussion with my father who is visiting here at the moment, I wondered what people's main reason was for emigrating here. I know often it's a combination of reasons, but what is the main one that either made you move, or is making you want to move to Adelaide?

I have to be really honest here - I voted to get away from the u.k - basically because I couldn't see a future for my kids there. I couldn't make it through the day without wanting to put my foot through the t.v or getting hot under the collar about some issue or other.

We came here 19 years ago for a better life for the children, it took me quite a few years to settle down and I still have the yearing to go back to UK every now but my husband and sons settled no problem, my sons are now happily married and often thank me for making that decision because they know how hard it was for me during the very bad homesickness times.

That makes it all worth while.

Jenny

Guest caoimhe
my sons are now happily married and often thank me for making that decision because they know how hard it was for me during the very bad homesickness times.

That makes it all worth while.

Jenny

I so hope in 18 years time my boys say the same to me as that's the only thing that gets me through the bad days...and there are many:sad:

Guest RazandKaz

Oz appears to have far more to offer for kids than the UK - I lived in Oz for a year in 99/00 and can't wait to return. I also don't see a good future for any of us in the UK - young or old, things are getting worse by the day....

The weather helps too.

Just hope that my OH agrees when we come to visit Adelaide in the Mar/Apr - I would buy a one-way ticket, but he is not so sure.

Karen

Visa Status

Skills Assess, IELTS etc passed

175 Submitted May 09

Meds & Police checks requested Oct 09

Police Checks Sent Nov 09

Meds are still in Sydney.......waiting......and hoping.

I have to admit a better future for our kids didn't have any bearing on our decision - although now we are here and they are both into an excellent school, I certainly feel that's what we've got.

For us it was the weather - I get Raynauds which meant I spent at least six months of the year with blue cold ulcerated fingers in the UK, plus up to a point the fact that we could - I and the kids have dual nationality so it made Australia the natural choice, and OH worked in automotive engineering for 25 years in the UK so it was a choice of Melbourne or Adelaide for us.

Diane

Just fancied doing something different/crazy for a while - if it's forever then great. I love the UK so it's nice to always have both options! Especially I guess once you have citizenship here - then your kids have a much wider scope to do whatever it is they want to do once they are older.

Guest Deborah5

40 for me too. It's a good age to do something dramatic.

We are not thoroughbred 'poms', having lived mostly in South Africa and New Zealand so the politics don't enter into it for us.

other reasons where health - needed to be somewhere dry and hot

And weather. oh yes the weather. loving it.

Guest kangomik

we had to leave the UK to let the rest fall into place, the kids where the next priority, then the weather due to health issue's (being in the Yuk for 6 or more dark months is not good for you). The adventure was a huge part for me, i love not knowing whats next while travelling around, but the lady isn't to keen on that sort of life.

If we had not have settled in SA we would have moved around Oz before giving America and the Carribean a go.

Guest Kazzarazza

Hi Diane. For us it was a job offer for my other half, the excitement of a new start, great weather and the adventure. Being in textiles, the "future" in the late eighties/early nineties was virtually non-existant.

We had no idea where we were coming too. We came with the attitude that as long as we had enough money in the bank for a one-way ticket back then we had nothing to lose. We knew the day we landed that we had hit on something pretty special. We still feel like we are living on a permanent holiday and have never once thought of going back. My brother has recently joined us in Adelaide after 8 years in NZ.

Just curious to know why the discussion with your father on this subject was "heated". Is he not happy for you being here. My mother loves coming over and, who knows, she may possibly move here one day too.

Cheers, Kazza

Guest BAZnDAF
3 reasons.

Coming up to 40 and getting an "itch"

Wanted a new adventure and challenge.

Bored and not too happy with the UK.

That just about sums it up for us too. ;)

Guest Guest75
That just about sums it up for us too. ;)

Nicew to see people agreeing with me ;)

After nearly ten years we are still pushing boundaries that I did not even realise existed in the UK!

Can't find a "WooHoo" emoticon!

Guest the terry's

Well to say all of the above just about sums it up for us too. However, we came to the decision after having another child 12 yrs after the last one, and thought then, ' let's do something completely different ' and to be honest it was all hubby's idea after he came back from the bank one day and mentioned the woman behind the counter said that oz was looking for tradies, and from there we haven't looked back. Got visa and did the reccie which just confirmed to us that Adelaide was the place for us, it's that feeling you get when you go house hunting, you know instantly it's your next home. Just need to sell the house and fulfill our dreams.

Helenx

Di's air con is broken, that's probably why.

LOL how very, very true, Matt, and still no end to that in sight either!!!

Actually though, any "discussion" between me and my Dad tends to get heated as we're both control freaks and neither will admit we're wrong!

My Dad said that no-one would move out to the other side of the world unless they already have a job lined up (as my OH did) - or if they have been a failure in the UK! I told him he was wrong (having spent the odd hour or two on this forum or similar over the past five years so feeling I was speaking from slightly more of a position of knowledge than he was).

He's actually very supportive of us being here and feels the UK is going to hell in a handbasket (what can I say? Telegraph-reader!) so says we definitely made the right move.

Guest the4hopes

Well we had a good plastering business in the UK, and came here with no jobs, its all part of the adventure!

I think you probably won this discussion, but then dads know best!!!

Laura