Citizenship??

Claire12

Guest kangomik

if you arrived in the last 12 months, i think you will find it's now a 4 year wait. ( unless visa activated previously)

Pro's and cons? erm you have to pay for the test etc, ohh and you have to vote once a citizen... no drama's then as i see it.

Guest guest569

I think if you migrated to oz before sept 06 and have done 2 sloid years then you can take the test for free and you then pay to submit your application. After sept 06 or have left oz and then returned you will need to complete 4 full years and then sit the test and apply.

Like Mik says pro's and cons are minimal. You must vote and can get your Australian passports. Not really a big deal but good for the bigger picture.

Hi if you arrived by july 07 its 2 years, if you have gone overseas for any period of time then add that on to your time. The test is really easy just learn the book you have +-45 minutes to do it in. You must get the first 3 questions right, if you don't pass you can resit it again make sure your there by 9 am then the wait is'nt to bad. About an hour in total depending on your size of family. If your not sure if you qualify just phone immagration they will let you know if you can apply. The test it self is free you just pay for your citizenship application.

Guest BAZnDAF

I have a question on this subject :)

Sorry to butt in..

Does every memeber of the family on the visa need to have spent 4 years there? Say for example one of my daughters spent a year in the UK, would that make her not eligable for citizenship? Or is it all based on the visa applicant only?

Guest BAZnDAF
Hi my other half & daughter left and came back .They did the test with us and are going do submit there paper work this week.My son already has his citizenship.

So as long as the Visa applicant has done the 4 years the others will be entitled to citizenship.

thanks for the reply :)

I still don't understand the rules and regs; there are some replies on this thread which seem to confict with each other...we've been here since July '06...does that mean we have to wait until July next year, or we can apply for citizenship now? It would save us having to renew the boys' passports if we can get Aussie citizenship now!

Guest guest569
I still don't understand the rules and regs; there are some replies on this thread which seem to confict with each other...we've been here since July '06...does that mean we have to wait until July next year, or we can apply for citizenship now? It would save us having to renew the boys' passports if we can get Aussie citizenship now!

If you were PR from july 06 and haven't left Oz then you could apply for Citizenship from July08. I believe you can sit the free test at any point and they will keep your results on record until you apply.

Guest steph&neil

Hiya I looked at the pro & cons & one bonus is that once you have citizenship you DO NOT have to get a resident return visa about $260 at the moment, you would need this to return into australia from ANY other country, it does last 5 years but seems easier to have citizenship,also cheaper if you travel a lot.

also if your children are under 18 the automatically get the citizen status! hope this added to the already confirmed info with regards to the question! x

If you were PR from july 06 and haven't left Oz then you could apply for Citizenship from July08. I believe you can sit the free test at any point and they will keep your results on record until you apply.

Ah, but we weren't on PR...that magical piece of paper in our passports didn't materialize until January this year, so I guess we'll still have to wait until we've done the full four years?