Money transfers

niknjas

Hi

Apology if this has been asked before.

Just trying to sus who to go with out of halo, moneycorp and hifx for transferring money over to bank. Decided to go with ANZ for bank after much deliberation.

Can anyone tell me, can you sign up with all three just to see who gives you the better rate and then plump for the one with the best rate. Are there any tie in or into or fee's etc. All starting to bewilder me.

Thanks

Niki

We used HiFx, most of it you can do online except if it's a large amount (> £10K if I remember), in which case you ring them up first and complete the rest of it online. Can't really fault them and they were recommended on here somewhere. There's nothing stopping you setting up accounts with all three but I wouldn't have thought the exchange rates would differ much between them you might make a £20-£50 difference on a large amount.

All three will charge a commission on a transfer but it's not huge and much better than going via the bank. No tie in as far as I'm aware.

Banks are a little different over here, for a start they have interest rates and do charge you for various things like using another branches cash machine (usually $2), so make sure you pick a bank that has a good number of ATMs. ANZ do have plenty of ATMS btw. Security setup for online banking is a little more draconian, but still pretty simple to operate.

Once you've chosen your bank and money transfer organisation I wouldn't worry too much - just keep an eye on the exchange rate and move your money when you're ready.

Phil

Guest becky c

Hi,

I've used UKForex and Moneycorp, both very good and make it easy for you if, like me, you are clueless about these things! I didn't pay for any of my transfers, they should be free for sums of money over a certain amount,

Bec x :wubclub:

Thanks everybody.

Jim and Adel, sorry can i be nosy and ask why you wouldn't use them again

Trakki, I'll have a look at Ozforex

Just sold house yesterday subject to contract so once completed, hoping to transfer that in one lump sum. Not as much as I had hoped and sure she was Robin Hood in disguise but needs must.

Take it nobody has had dealing with Halo even though tye post every week.

Niki

Hi Nikki,

I used Moneycorp this week to pay my rental deposit, they offered the best exchange rate and it was really simple to do. Will meet up soon.................may be in Oz tho :)

Damo

Guest WoodMartin
We used Hifx but wouldn't use them again.

Jim

We have used HiFx a few times and had no problems. We could see the exchange rate change and what we'd get before we clicked 'OK' which was quite good. Did it all online.

Ali

Regarding our experience with HiFX, when we were transferring the proceeds from the sale of our UK home, we had telephone calls where the information we provided wasn't passed on to the relevant people and where instructions we faxed (as per HiFX's request) weren't acted on. The most annoying thing for us was that there was no follow up or clarification sought from HiFX about what was happening, they simply did nothing (for example, with the fax, they said we'd not provided the right info or not done something right - I can't remember the specifics two and a half years later - but they didn't get back to us about it. It was only when our money didn't transfer as expected that we got twitchy and got in touch with them and were given this explanation - they just sat on the 'incorrect' fax without contacting us for clarificaton or taking any other action to remedy the situation).

No doubt lots of people use them, and for most this is a trouble-free experience; for us, though, it wasn't. When HiFX first started providing regular currency updates on a different forum (AdBrits) I mentioned this to their poster, but nobody from HiFX showed any sign of wanting to know about our experiences with a view to ensuring it doesn't happen to others.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oragree09

or companies that need you to help them provide wire transfers for their clients who are out of the country and they pay you a 5-10 commission? Are they legitimate or is this a scam to get your bank account info?