ian and wendy

Guest Ian and Wendy

Guest Ian and Wendy

Hi folks,

We are the older generation, having just waved our daughter and her family off to Adelaide and hearing her stories of how good life is. We are thinking of joining you all. However paper work seems very daunting any short cuts or helpful tips on the whole imigration issue would be much appreciated. we are recently retired and any contacts from the grey haired brigade with experiences etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks Ian and Wendy

Hi Ian and Wendy,

My parents have been living here in Adelaide for the past year. They recently got their visa under "Contributary Parent Visa" and haven't looked back. They love it here and have a better social life than I do (if thats possible....lol). They live in Aldinga, just a stones throw from the beach. I really never thought I'd shift my dad out of Bolton but he's here larger than life and my parents have both packed up smoking, which just shows, life here for them is far less stressful than what they had in the UK.

I'm sure they'd love to give you any tips on the visa/life here in Adelaide for 60 somethings....

You can pm my dad. He's Grandad on here.

We also had fantastic help from Gollywobble. Do a search on some of her posts and you'll be able to read up on visa info and experiences.

Warm Regards

Judi x

Guest Allie Bloss

Never thought I'd see my parents on PIA!!!!

Go to lots of shows and ask questions & I'll get you hooked up with Judi (Roo1) parents when you get out here in Feb.

A. xx

Guest ben&sharon

Hi there,

Judi's right - Gollywobbler has been a mine of information about this - see the really useful post below.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4509&highlight=parent

I'll be really interested in seeing how you progress; my mother is coming out here for a visit in April and will visit with DIAC when she arrives to see what her options are; we'll be doing everything we can to get her out here permanently.

All the best,

Sharon.

Guest Ian and Wendy

Thanks for your good wishes, it's a very daunting process, I don't even know what DIAC stands for. We are coming out for a visit and to get the lie of the land in February. will be visiting our daughter and her family in Seaford rise. so it will be a steep learning curve for us.

B. rgds Ian and Wendy

Guest ben&sharon
Thanks for your good wishes, it's a very daunting process, I don't even know what DIAC stands for. We are coming out for a visit and to get the lie of the land in February. will be visiting our daughter and her family in Seaford rise. so it will be a steep learning curve for us.

B. rgds Ian and Wendy

DIAC are the people to see for immigration; if you're going to be out here in Feb, then might be worth a visit yourselves? They have an office in the city, I think.

Guest Ian and Wendy

Wow isn't modern communications a wonderful thing. Thanks for info and will do as you suggest, It's pooring here and cold so Oz gets more attractive by the minute.

Guest kangomik

HI there.

Sorry cannot help with the visa stuff.

My mother, and my wifes parent have been over, my wifes have been twice and come again in April next year. They find it very relaxing, and find everyone very friendly, i hope you have the same findings. You will be able to see how your children have settled.

If it's a little warm when you arrive trust us when we say it is not always like that. Have a great flight, enjoy all of the journey.

Cheers

Mik

Guest Kazzarazza

Hi Ian and Wendy. Welcome to PIA and good luck with your plans.

I'd just like to suggest that you join www.pomsinoz.com (PIA's parent site) as well. Gollywobbler (real name Gill) is on there almost every day. She is one of the moderators on the Migration Issues section and there is nothing she doesn't know about parent visas.

Happy researching and have a great holiday in February.

Cheers, Kazza

• 2 weeks later...
hope its not too easy to get out here !!! Don't want my outlaws getting any ideas !!!!:shocked:

Hi Passionate Pom

If you are not too keen on the idea of the outlaws pitching up permanently, speak highly and fervently about the Mother In Law From Hell visa and keep quiet about all the others, I recommend:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/103/

Cheap as chips so talk that bit right up. Play down the decade or so in the Queue - mostly spent outside Oz with a bit of luck.

Cheers

Gill

Hi folks,

We are the older generation, having just waved our daughter and her family off to Adelaide and hearing her stories of how good life is. We are thinking of joining you all. However paper work seems very daunting any short cuts or helpful tips on the whole imigration issue would be much appreciated. we are recently retired and any contacts from the grey haired brigade with experiences etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks Ian and Wendy

Hi Ian & Wendy

I'm so sorry that I didn't see your visitor message sooner. I don't visit PiA very often and I haven't a clue how to reply to a visitor message.

DIAC stands for Deport Immediately And Clap. So the soothsayers tell me, anyway.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/visa-options.htm

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books3.htm

Parents who can't speak a word of English manage to migrate to Oz, so you will be fine, I promise. Grandad did his own forms so he can help you with those, never fear. Also he was in Oz whilst he adnd Judi got Centrelink organised so e knows more about that bit than I do.

Booklet 3 claims that you have to wait for 2 years before you can apply. This is not necessarily so:

http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=441

I'd say go out to Adelaide and have fun. My friend Lisa's parents, Diana & John, have been there for a month now. Dave Brooking and his wife are there too, with their daughter. Hayshake has been out there for quite a while now and Judi knows him, I believe. Diana & John know loads of others as well, whom I only know via descriptions from Diana.

You will be fine and you will have a great time. Don't worry about the jargon. It will all fall into place, you will find.

If you need anything, please come and shout at me on Poms in Oz.

Meanwhile, the Rival Concern has a very lively group of Parents:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=632530&page=42

http://www.gainwave.co.uk/

Quite a few of the ones who are waiting seem to be headed for Adelaide:

http://www.gainwave.co.uk/Page2.htm

Sandch (Steve) very kindly set up and looks after the tracker, which is invaluable (links above.)

Cheers

Gill

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ian and Wendy

Gill

Hi thanks for your reply, we are like you and only get on PIA infrequently, it is cold very wet and snow is forecast for the end of the week so Adelaide looks very attractive at the moment, we are coming out in February so will set the ball rolling then, stand by for panicky e-mails

regards Ian and Wendy