Cats in Adelaide

Guest PaulC

Hi all

We are planning to move to Adelaide in April next year. We had intended bringing our cat with us, as we have had him for many years.

However, we have read that in Australia some councils insist that cats are kept indoors, or are only allowed in outin outdoor runs.

Is this the case - are there any Adelaide cat owners on this forum who could let me know if this is the case?

Thanks

Paul

Hi all

We are planning to move to Adelaide in April next year. We had intended bringing our cat with us, as we have had him for many years.

However, we have read that in Australia some councils insist that cats are kept indoors, or are only allowed in outin outdoor runs.

Is this the case - are there any Adelaide cat owners on this forum who could let me know if this is the case?

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul

My son lives in Kuralta park and he has three cats they come and go during the day but he brings them in every night.

A lot of people have cats and I think that its the norm to bring in the cats at night.

Hope this helps

Les

Don't think any councils have bought in that ruling yet, although several talk about it! We have a cat that we bought here, and we just bring her in when it gets dark - a cat-curfew is another thing discussed by many councils from time to time, supposedly to protect native wildlife, but we bring her in because otherwise it would cost us money in vets fees if another cat attacks her (ours is a wimp!).

There was an outcry a while ago in the paper about someone who caught what they said was a "stray cat" in their garden, and the council had it put down, saying it had no collar or identification on it. Turned out it belonged to a neighbour and had been wearing a collar, but the people that caught it removed that so the council would think it was a stray! I would recommend getting your cat microchipped if it's not already done.

Something else to watch out for if your cat is a hunter or a wanderer is the danger of snake bites. Our friend's cat got bitten by a snake and luckily managed to get itself home, where they rushed it straight to the vets and got it on a drip. It pulled through but it wasn't cheap!!

Hi we have a cat, which get bought from RSPCA here, she was micro chipped and desexed.

She does not stray far, and stay mostly in our garden or on our roof depending whats around ! lol

We also keep her in at night, although she wakes us to go out early in the morning.

We live near ther beach. However, if you choose to live in the hills and near koalas and other wild animals I would keep my cat indoors and use a litter tray.