SIR 495 to PR 887

Guest LoveAdelaide

Guest LoveAdelaide

Hi Guys,

Any one can shed the light on my issues re residence requirement in Adelaide ?

I m holding 495 for 2 yr and 1/2 month and I ve been working full time for more than one year. I got all evidences on hand (leases, bills, payslip). However I spent time oversea for my trip for 5 weeks. Would this time off the country be deducted from the residence requirement ? Do i have to frontload the Fed police check ? or i just wait till CO request after 887 lodgement ?

I read some story here and it said time off the country wont affect a 887 application as long as applicants can show prove of living in SA and 1 yr full time work requirement. (but the thred is CLOSED) so im not sure...

I just don't want to wait till next year cos i m unsure if DIAC may amend/change the policy for 887... i just want to lodge sooner than later.

Regards,

I believe time spent out of the country needs to be added onto the 2 year period. So you could apply after 2 years and 5 weeks.

Can't see them changing the 887 rule for people who are already here. Normally they change it for new residents only. I wouldn't worry too much.

Can't see them changing the 887 rule for people who are already here. Normally they change it for new residents only.

are there going to be changes in the new year then??? i haven't seen or heard of any..

Guest LoveAdelaide

Thanks Nick,

But i m a bit confused cos I read the story here...the guys said he lodged an application for 887 on the 2nd aniversary of holding 495 and he also got time spent on his oversea trips for 9 weeks....and he 's granted a 887 visa.....

He did mention here on his last reply.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=562959

So i m a bit confused now....:(...

Do you have any suggestions where can i check ???

I think its a bit hit and miss/ luck of the draw.

If you do it online they are processing them within 8 days, so personally I would wait.

Apply for your fed checks - by the time they arrive you can apply online and with a bit of luck you will 887 by the end of the year.

Just read the guys post who applied with 9 weeks delay - I would think judging by his timeline they didn't get around to looking at it for a while. This was when online applications were taking 10 weeks to process - as its only taking a week or so to get an 887 now - I would wait.

Guest LoveAdelaide

Hi Nick,

Thank you so much for information and your time answering my questions. I also posted the question here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=601978&page=11&highlight=887

cheeb told me to ignore time that I spent oversea..I think she may mean that i got a lease here in Adelaide for two years . My trip overseas won't count cos in the end i returned to Adelaide to live and work on the basis that my home is here in Adelaide.

Anyway, i can wait a little bit longer to apply for my 887..counting down...but just wondering what is the real residence requirement for 887...re time off the country...

Regards,

Hi Nick,

Thank you so much for information and your time answering my questions. I also posted the question here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=601978&page=11&highlight=887

cheeb told me to ignore time that I spent oversea..I think she may mean that i got a lease here in Adelaide for two years . My trip overseas won't count cos in the end i returned to Adelaide to live and work on the basis that my home is here in Adelaide.

Anyway, i can wait a little bit longer to apply for my 887..counting down...but just wondering what is the real residence requirement for 887...re time off the country...

Regards,

My friend rang immigration up with the same problem and she was told to add it onto her 2 year period. Pm Angela on here and she'll tell you.

we never got asked if we had spent time overseas and my husband had spent 4 weeks. We applied for 887 2 years (to the day ) afte entry. It took 2 months to come through, but if you are worried only 3 week wait. start form online just submit it on the calculated date and apply for federal police checks.

Guest LoveAdelaide
My friend rang immigration up with the same problem and she was told to add it onto her 2 year period. Pm Angela on here and she'll tell you.

Hi Nick,

I got update re residence requirement for 887 applicants. I just paid for migration services consultation about my doubt and I ve been told that time off the country won't be deducted from the residence requirement in SA as long as I can provide evidences that I lived in SA for two years with one year full time work requirement. My case is I ve already been worked full time before a 495 was granted (495 onshore). I took my annual leave for oversea trips while i m still working for the company that i m currently working. The agent confirmed that I can apply for a 887 now.

I m not sure why IMMI call centre told Angala that she has to wait.

But thank you gain Nick for your kind regards in this matter.

Regards,

Guest LoveAdelaide
we never got asked if we had spent time overseas and my husband had spent 4 weeks. We applied for 887 2 years (to the day ) afte entry. It took 2 months to come through, but if you are worried only 3 week wait. start form online just submit it on the calculated date and apply for federal police checks.

Hi cbeeb,

Thank for sharing your information. I just paid to one agent re this question and the agent also said the same as you told that oversea trip off the country won't be deducted.

I m now applying for a fed police check. :) Hopefully I can get it before the end of this year.

Thank you ....:)

• 1 month later...
Guest piggylai81

Hi everyone,

I am new here in the forum. how's everyone? :)

My husband and I have been on SIR 495 visa and r about to apply for PR soon (Yay~! :P) I am the main applicant when we got our 495, but would like my husband to be the main applicant when we apply for 887. Does anyone know, will that effect the outcome? One thing that I'm not sure:

1) Does he have to get his skill assessment? It's because he did not do that when we apply for 495.

We r still figuring out which of us will fit to be the primary applicant for the PR.

Guest Nick11
Hi everyone,

My husband and I have been on SIR 495 visa and r about to apply for PR soon (Yay~! :P) I am the main applicant when we got our 495, but would like my husband to be the main applicant when we apply for 887. Does anyone know, will that effect the outcome? One thing that I'm not sure:

1) Does he have to get his skill assessment? It's because he did not do that when we apply for 495.

We r still figuring out which of us will fit to be the primary applicant for the PR.

We were in exactly the same position. The good news is hubby can become the primary applicant and no he doesn't need a positive skills assessment.Just as long as he has wage slips over 35 hours a week for 12 months or more. We were very worried when we applied but got our 887 without any trouble.:biglaugh:

Guest piggylai81

Hi Nick11,

Really?!! That's awesome. My husband already got the 12 mths working done. Just waiting for the 2 yrs staying to be done :P.

Did you get your PR already? And how long does it take once you've lodge your application?

one of my friend lodged his application in Dec 09 and got it last week..That's like less then a month! But he's doing it individual and not with a spouse, so i guess it's pretty easy.

Guest piggylai81

and, does IELTS really just valid for 12 months? we took it when we applied for 495, so it's obviously more than 2 years by now if we gonna use it to aply for PR. Am I right? :)

• 1 month later...
Guest piggylai81

Hi all,

Would appreciate if anyone knows if the spouse of the main applicant will need to provide evidence of working full time in specified regional area as well? Or do they just need the evidence from the main applicant?

Thanks peeps :)

Guest piggylai81

Thanks for your reply, Nick11...

I am the primary applicant for the visa 495 (now) but I would like to change the main applicant status to my husband when we apply for 887. hope that shouldn't be a problem...

:)

Guest piggylai81

Nick11,

We are thinking of applying for police checks in early March. ( We can lodge our application by end April/Early May).

Will this be too early? I just thought of getting some stuff outta the way....

advice appreciated..thanks! :)

• 1 month later...
Guest stephb

Hi all,

I was just wondering whether anyone can clear up my confusion! :huh:

I noticed on someone's previous post that health checks were not needed for their 887 application, but I started to complete mine tonight and it seemed to require confirmation that checks have either been done, or that a date has been booked for them. Is there a way round this?! The medibank site said they cost $287 so not keen on that!

Also, how do I go about applying for a police check? I think I have one already from my work, but was done about 18 months ago so not sure if it would be valid for this?!

Lastly I can't actually lodge my application until May but wanted to try and frontload documents but can't work out how to do this! Can someone explain it?! feel like i'm being a bit incompetent but the immi website just seems to send me round in circles!!

Oh, another question! The cost on the immi website seems to say it's nearly $3000 but someone else I spoke to said only $200-300. Can anyone clear this up?!

Thanks for any help! :wubclub:

A query regarding the 35 hours a week employment for the 495 visa what happens in weeks where there are public holidays? I have been doing temporary work and so only get paid for the hours I work (we dont get paid for public holidays it is supposed to be covered in our hourly rate) last week was a four day week and this week is a four day week, there is no way to make up sufficient hours to get 35 hours for those weeks. Do I have to have one year working plus however many weeks to cover for the public holidays or are weeks with public holidays taken as being 35 hour weeks if the normal hours for that week would have been 35 hours?

Guest soggy
Hi all,

I was just wondering whether anyone can clear up my confusion! :huh:

I noticed on someone's previous post that health checks were not needed for their 887 application, but I started to complete mine tonight and it seemed to require confirmation that checks have either been done, or that a date has been booked for them. Is there a way round this?! The medibank site said they cost $287 so not keen on that!

Also, how do I go about applying for a police check? I think I have one already from my work, but was done about 18 months ago so not sure if it would be valid for this?!

Lastly I can't actually lodge my application until May but wanted to try and frontload documents but can't work out how to do this! Can someone explain it?! feel like i'm being a bit incompetent but the immi website just seems to send me round in circles!!

Oh, another question! The cost on the immi website seems to say it's nearly $3000 but someone else I spoke to said only $200-300. Can anyone clear this up?!

Thanks for any help! :wubclub:

Hi,

to get around the health check thing just put in todays date, you can get the form to apply for police checks here http://www.afp.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/90643/NPC-Application_form.pdf

the visa fee is around $250 (if you have a chinese national on the application, her ielts is out of date and you have not noticed the rules have changed regarding how many years in English speaking school is required instead of ielts, then you pay an extra $3600:arghh:, but thats probably just me ) I can't remember exactly how much, and i'm afraid you can't upload your documents untill after submit your application, make sure any that are not coloured documents are certified.

Simon:)

Guest soggy
A query regarding the 35 hours a week employment for the 495 visa what happens in weeks where there are public holidays? I have been doing temporary work and so only get paid for the hours I work (we dont get paid for public holidays it is supposed to be covered in our hourly rate) last week was a four day week and this week is a four day week, there is no way to make up sufficient hours to get 35 hours for those weeks. Do I have to have one year working plus however many weeks to cover for the public holidays or are weeks with public holidays taken as being 35 hour weeks if the normal hours for that week would have been 35 hours?

Hi,

it may be worth giving diac a call and asking them this but I think it says normal working hours to be over 35 hours, I think this is to allow for public holidays. (if someone puts " I think " twice in the same sentence, get a second opinion ) You have to be here 2 years to apply, are you hoping to retire early ?:):)

Simon

• 9 months later...
Hi everyone,

Hi piggylai81,

how are you? Did you get your PR? Did you apply for 887? How is everything going please update.

I am in the same situation now.

I found that in form 1276 that you fill in when apply for 887 there is point 28 ...

.....If you are applying for a subclass 887 or 487 (12 months extension) you

must have applied for, or obtained, a skills assessment at the time you

apply.

It is clearly saying MUST have applied for ...

Please if anyone have been in thesam situation advice.

We were in exactly the same position. The good news is hubby can become the primary applicant and no he doesn't need a positive skills assessment.Just as long as he has wage slips over 35 hours a week for 12 months or more. We were very worried when we applied but got our 887 without any trouble.:biglaugh:

Dear Nick11,

I am in the same pants now :-) please advice if you can.

how did you avoid point 28 in form 1276 where it is clearly saying

"28.....If you are applying for a subclass 887 or 487 (12 months extension) you

must have applied for, or obtained, a skills assessment at the time you

apply"

I will appreciate your answer

Regards,

SCADA