Advice needed!

Guest cosmonik

Guest cosmonik

Hello Everyone

I'm Due to come out to Adelaide in March 2010 and start my new job with Sapol in early April. I am one of the lucky few who have got through the emigration process verrry quickly, The only downside is that Money is therefore very tight as i have no savings to fall back on.

I am currently trying to sell my flat but after a buyer puling out i am not holding much hope so may have to rent it out, which eats into more cash :arghh:

I am also lucky in the fact i will be staying at the training academy for 10 weeks for only $200 pw untill i decide where to move but need to know how much money i need to take as a minimum to get me set up.

Also still trying to decide which shipping company to use and whether to take all my furniture or just my personal effects.

Doree Bonner have quoted me £1560 for all furniture and £768 for personal effects which inclue packing/unpacking, storage and shipping but no customs charges or insurance - Is this a good quote and has anyone used this company.

Now just waiting for my Visa to come then can book flight!

Any advice on this would be great as i am clearly looking to save money wherever i can and want to make my transition to the other side of the world as stress free as possible.

I am emigrating alone and so finding all this stuff quite daunting.

Still keeping trying to keep the faith for a sale on my property then i can clear everything here and have no ties........fingers crossed.

All advice welcome

Thanks

One very stressed out Nicki :confused:

hi Nicki

I was in the same boat and decided to rent my house (could not sell it unless i practically gave it away.) I put my big stuff in storage (ready to be shipped if i decided to stay) and used a company called voovit to move my persoanl belongings. They were really cheap and very efficient with very little running around once they got here. You have to go to customs, port etc, but its easy. Look at voovit if you decide to go that way cos £700 is way more than i paid , even including cusoms etc - by hundreds!!

good luck

Aileen

Hi Nicki,

Just wanted to say that I hope things fall into place for you. I think its very brave emigrating alone and I wish you well.

(My good friend in the UK is doing exactly the same as you early next year but transferring over with Hays)

Best Wishes

Judi x

You can set up house cheaply if you are prepared to do the second hand shops and as you will be in training initially you have time to source new major appliances as they go on sale. Pack your personal photos and bring them with you. Surprizing what you don't need if you don't have it.

Guest cosmonik

Hello Ails

Thanks for the advice, I will contact that company later and get a quote. Incidently how did you find the big move over there on your own? I have to say i am so totally sure that it's what i wnat to do and completely right for me but just so stressed out about the whole financial situation with my flat etc. Could really do with an extra 6 months to sort everything out but as my course is the last one starting for a good couple of years i can't afford to pass up the opportunity of a lifetime that presents itself now!

Any other good advice you can pass on to a solo traveller?

Nicki

Guest cosmonik

Thanks judi

You say you have a friend doing the same as me next year, are they joining Sapol as well or just making a move to Oz off their own back, would be nice to be in touch with anyone else in the same boat as me.

Nicki

Thanks judi

You say you have a friend doing the same as me next year, are they joining Sapol as well or just making a move to Oz off their own back, would be nice to be in touch with anyone else in the same boat as me.

Nicki

She's coming over via transfer through her job with Hays recruitment. She's 30 and mad as a hatter!!

I'll pm you when she has arrived if you like and we can meet up for a drink.

Judi x

Guest rachinadelaide

We used Dorree Bonner (5 years ago) and cannot recommend them. They may have got better of course. We had many problems with them being careless and incompetent (they sent some of our stuff off to Aus packed in fruit boxes which aren't allowed through quarantine so it was all thrown into different boxes when it arrived here and there were lots of breakages).

Bets of luck with the move!!

Rach

Guest kelv&haley

hi ya , like ails we have used voovit to ship our personal belongings,photos,memories etc,and have come without our large furniture as we too didnt sell our house so have rented it out,we actually came with 14,000 dollars cash and that was it, from this we had to do everything,car,deposit on rental,eat,live,buy kids their beds and some new toys to be going on with until our few boxes arrive.it can be done as long as you're careful and dont have rose tinted glasses and as you have a job lined up it should be fine,we had no jobs and 3 kids(crazy) but we did it...........we have been here 7 weeks now and its all working out fine,our house is quite empty,lol, but its all good....you'll be fine,good luck,but defo look into voovit,haley

Hi,

We used Doree Bonner 2 years ago, they were fantastic! Turned up on time, worked bl**dy hard and we had no breakages at all - we haggled on the price and got a bit off the quote too. Would highly recommend them. They use Grace Removals over here who were very helpful.

Have you found the police forum yet??? http://www.police-forum.com/ should help you answer a few questions.

Hope this helps

Lea

Guest SA Great

Sorry cant offer any moving advice cos have been here too long but wish you all the best. Life is an adventure but a good diver checks his depth (or should i say her depth!) and it sounds like you have checked yours.

Good luck with everything