Reccie March 2010

Guest RazandKaz

Guest RazandKaz

Hi

We have been granted our 175 Visas - hooray!!! and are planning a reccie / visa validation trip in March / April 2010. We will be visiting Perth for a few days and then on to Adelaide for about 16-17 days.

We are renting a place in Christies Beach, so will have plenty of opportunity to get a feel for the southern suburbs.

But what else should we do while in Adelaide?

We plan to meet a few recruitment agents and visit some open houses, but I need to convince my OH that Australia and particularly Adelaide is the place for us.

We also have 2 kids aged 5 and 3, so we want to give them a good holiday too, not just an endless time in the car trawling around the suburbs etc.

Please help PIA members, tell me which of the Adelaide highlights we shouldn't miss!

Cheers

Karen

Guest The Dimmocks

Congratulations on getting your visa. I can't help on the best places to visit as we don't get out there till Feb '10, but i'm sure plently will.

Have a great time on your reccie.

Michelle

Hi Karen,

We are making the move proper and arrive in Adelaide 13th March. We are also staying in Chrisites Beach for the first month. Whereabouts are you staying? We also have two young un's (Kieran, 8 and Daisy the devil, 4). We have a lovely pool if you wanna hav a swim/beer when we all get over there.

Damo

Guest RazandKaz

Hi Damo

We are staying in a holiday let in Hooper Place, nr Port Noarlunga Reserve? Would love to meet up for a beer and hear about your 1st few weeks. Good luck with your move. Will PM you nearer the time if that's OK?

Karen

Well done on getting the visa, it's a relief when it arrives I can tell you!

You'll probably want to look around the burbs at some point and Christies Beach is a good place to start. Not far from Noarlunga and the Colonades shopping centre. It's also got good travel links train/dual carriage way to the CBD - you're about 45 mins away down there. Places to look at for accomodation are:

Seaford, Sheidow Park, Hallett Cove, Flagstaff, Blackwood, Belair

First three are pretty close to the sea, the second three are further round to the east, but still in the hills. There's pleny more but those aren't far away and will give you a good feel for what's on offer.

Visit some of the wildlife parks; Cleland, Umbirra and Worrawong are all within an hour and you can feed the very tame native wildlife, including kangaroos, emus, koalas etc.

You will find yourself in the city at some point so spend a bit of time wandering around. Central market sells a fair variety of stuff, next to it is the Chinese sector and for shopping, wander off down to Rundle Mall.

Almost forgot - go to the beach, you're very close to the beach at Christies, Noarlunga is nice, Moana, Aldinga and Silver Sands are also not far away. You can drive onto the last 3 which is a bonus with the kids.

Phil

Guest kangomik

Mclaren vale on your door stop for some stunning scenery and a few glasses of vino. Victor harbour, no whales this time of year but a nice place.

Play in the parks with the kids, and talk to plenty of people....

we took the kids to cleland which is at the top of mount lofty and it was fab. loads of animals and really hands on. hand feeding koalas and kangeroos etc, fab pics for grandparents back in the uk. i think you can get some kind of pass to go over and over again. A really lovely day out. rundle mall for shopping and the teddy bear shop is a must. enjoy exploring

congratulations on your visa!!!!! :)

i take it you'll have a hire car so you'll have a CBD with it - if not go to the nearest newsagent (colonnades shopping centre) and buy one! (map of Adelaide)

we also have 2 little ones (5yr and 4 yr) so if you fance meeting up at 'the fort' (wood adventure playground down noarlunga over the bridge, you see it on the map) - give me a shout!

victor harbour is a nice day out!

belair national park have a great playground (costs $8 entry to the park - and do bring a picnic)

for rainy days there is a softplay on beach road in christies beach (towards the end where the sea is)

up north is a great adventure playground in st. kilda - take towels for the metal slides on hot days!

obviously an animal park - we loved gorge wildlife park!

don't forget to slip-slop-slap (suncream, shirt, hat) - and always take drinks!

and when you go to the park even a picnic - most have public bbq's you can use for free :)

if you need any more info just ask away!

Guest cornish Busdriver

G'day Karen.

What kind of work will you and hubby be looking at doing here ???

I would try and set up a few job interviews or contact a few companys to have a chat to whilst you are here.

Make time to chat to the locals as there always happy to offer and the best place to get the real info of a place.

There are loads of wildlife parks and adventure area's everywhere no-matter what your kids are into they will find something here for them.

Have a look at a few house opens to see what kind of house you will be looking to buy and it will also give you a rough price on what to expect. Houses here are more but you get what you pay for.

Heres a few links for you

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENAU355&q=adelaide+wildlife+park&meta=&aq=2&oq=adelaide+wild

http://www.raywhite.com/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=sf&t=res&cu=fn-raywhite

http://www.ljhooker.com.au/

http://www.morphettvale.brockharcourts.com.au/

Guest RazandKaz

Thanks to everyone who has reposnded for all this great advice. I hope we can fit everything into 17 days!!! If not we'll just have to do it once we make the move permanently.

Mozzy - thank for the invite to meet up. We would love to and I will PM you nearer the time if that's OK.

Matt - thanks for the advice ref jobs. We am planning to see some recruitment agents (I am an Accountant & my OH is in Sales, Business to business)

Also - since we will be there over Easter maybe there will be one of the famous PIA BBQs I've heard so much about!

Can't wait to meet some of you in March.

hi, one more nice place to see is granite island, its down at victor harbour... would love to meet up with some of you guys too.. :)

Thanks to everyone who has reposnded for all this great advice. I hope we can fit everything into 17 days!!! If not we'll just have to do it once we make the move permanently.

Mozzy - thank for the invite to meet up. We would love to and I will PM you nearer the time if that's OK.

Matt - thanks for the advice ref jobs. We am planning to see some recruitment agents (I am an Accountant & my OH is in Sales, Business to business)

Also - since we will be there over Easter maybe there will be one of the famous PIA BBQs I've heard so much about!

Can't wait to meet some of you in March.