Bringing furniture etc...

Guest Damien

Hi all!

We are trying to decide what to ship over before our big move in March. Mrs Damo has asked me to ask you all the following (all way over my head - soft furnishings!):

We have a 3 seater sofa, 2 seater sofa and pouffe that is old but really comfy. It's gonna cost about £400 to ship, what sort of price will it be for a half decent equivalent in oz?

Is it ok to bring over a used feather quilt? If not, what about a new one? What tog do you recommend?

Are fitted sheets the same size over there? We have a kingsize in the UK.

Lisa buys our towels from BHS, what is the standard like in Oz?

Oh yeah, is the an IKEA in Adelaide, can't stand the place personally but she loves it - lost count of how many plastic knives and forks we've got :arghh:

Cheers!

Damo

i'd say bring it all! if it's only the sofas might not be worth doing ...

we took a 20ft and i am glad because the houses here are so much bigger you'll need it all lol

and buying it all new will add up really quickly!!

we didn't bring our sofas (only because they were ready for the dump really) - and bought a 3+2 set for $600 but it's nothing special and not really comfy but gets us through. meant to be for the kids until we'll find THE one for us ... the better ones do cost quite alot more though!

there are lots of furniture shops here like harvey norman or amart ... try to google them?!!?

bring all the bedding; apparently you'll need it in winter .. haven't experienced it yet so can't really tell you lol

fitted sheets i think they are different size? hope someone more knowledgable can add to this ... we had king size bed in the uk and they don't fit on our oz queen bed?!?!?

and yes, there is an ikea over here, right at the airport. we've been there a few times ... great for all the little things you need!

good luck :)

Guest Here at last!

I would say bring it all too, especially warm bedding as you really will need it in the winter. We brought our bed and the bedding I bought here doesn't quite fit properly, so I would get a couple before you leave.

It helped us to settle when we first arrived because we had all our own stuff around us. We have now lived in 3 rented houses and if we had bought furniture for the first house we lived in it wouldn't have fitted in the other houses, so we felt it has been better to use our own stuff until we eventually buy somewhere and replace when we can afford to do so.

When you first arrive you have so much to pay out on rent, bonds, cars etc that you need every cent so if you can use what you already have then it will be easier on the pocket!

Hi all!

We are trying to decide what to ship over before our big move in March. Mrs Damo has asked me to ask you all the following (all way over my head - soft furnishings!):

We have a 3 seater sofa, 2 seater sofa and pouffe that is old but really comfy. It's gonna cost about £400 to ship, what sort of price will it be for a half decent equivalent in oz?

Is it ok to bring over a used feather quilt? If not, what about a new one? What tog do you recommend?

Are fitted sheets the same size over there? We have a kingsize in the UK.

Lisa buys our towels from BHS, what is the standard like in Oz?

Oh yeah, is the an IKEA in Adelaide, can't stand the place personally but she loves it - lost count of how many plastic knives and forks we've got :arghh:

Cheers!

Damo

Most importantly - of course there is Ikea in Adelaide - In fact right next to the airport so you can stop on your way in :)

Guest The Pickles

Yep, bring it all and more... including bedding that fits any current duvets you have. Sizes are different here, I think a UK double is a Queen, a UK Queen a King... Oh I don't know but don't even try to mix and match! Quality is poor for most things and items expensive to buy, we splashed out on some nice bedding before we left and am glad we did. Ikea is great, especially compared to the other shops here.

Buy lots of your favourite toiletries and ship them over (no restriction on these). Stock up on basics/undies from M&S or whatever your favourite shop is.

It's really cold in Winter, especially if you don't have a thick brick wall house.

Happy moving!

Guest Team 'W'

hi there,

if your bringing double bed make sure you have bedding to fit, if your bringing king size again make sure you have bedding to fit, go to matalan, or poundstretcher anywere that does good bedding and stock up with a few to bring cos it dus work out rather expensive here....an they dont fit the duvets here[well there called doona's here]the more you bring the less you'll have to spend when your here cos believe me every penny counts if you waitin to find work....unless your RICH...good luck hope this helps..