Qualifying for permenant residency on 475 visa

Guest Andy G

Guest Andy G

Hi

This is my first post on the site although i have spent many hours reading through the various other posts. We were granted our visa august 2009 which was quicker than we had anticipated. We had by this point booked a 5-week holiday come reconnaissance visit from which we have just returned to the UK on the 28th dec. We were sponsored by SA so checked in with them, which was a breif affair. We also visited the DIAC office to query some aspects of our visa. They had little information to offer and granted no face-to-face interviews, as this department did not deal with skilled visas. The burning question we have is regarding what type of employment is acceptable to qualify for permanent residency from a 475 visa. If you read any of the official web sites the wording used is :

"After living for two years and working for at least one year in a specified regional area, applicants can apply for a permanent visa."

It does not state whether the job undertaken has to be on the SOL list. Will any occupation qualify, as it does not state that the job undertaken must be on the list?

Can anyone help with any experience or knowledge of this issue?

We enjoyed Adelaide very much and are looking forward to coming out later on this year. We are both fairly confident of finding work of some kind however we wish to ensure that it qualifies us for permanent residency after the two years.

All comments appreciated.

Guest WoodMartin

Hi AndyG

Welcome to Poms in Adelaide, as you've discovered there is a mine of information on here to help out, I know it helped me a huge amount.

When we first arrived in Adelaide we went to a new arrival meeting/presentation arranged by the SA Govt. It was made quite clear at that meeting that any work is fine as long as it's over 35 hours per week, and it can be anyone on the visa, not necessarily the original visa holder. (You're applying for a new visa, not changing the existing one.)

Hope this clears it up for you.

Ali

Guest familygood
Hi AndyG

Welcome to Poms in Adelaide, as you've discovered there is a mine of information on here to help out, I know it helped me a huge amount.

When we first arrived in Adelaide we went to a new arrival meeting/presentation arranged by the SA Govt. It was made quite clear at that meeting that any work is fine as long as it's over 35 hours per week, and it can be anyone on the visa, not necessarily the original visa holder. (You're applying for a new visa, not changing the existing one.)

Ali

This is my understanding too. Good luck!

Guest Andy G

Thanks Woodmartin that has clarified this issue for us. I could not find a clear answer anywhere and had read a few contradictory posts on other forums. We never had time to attend any of the welcome meetings when we where there in December. Would you recommend attending one when we come over for real later this year?

Hi Andy

We havent been to a meeting only because you have so much to do getting somewhere to live, schools if you have kids etc. I get all my info from here have never used another site, I ask daft questions at times but there is always someone who takes pity on me and answers me. Once you are here you will meet people and they will know the answers or someone who does.

Regards Janine

Guest Nick11
Hi AndyG

Ali

That is correct. We applied for our 887 visa last year - I was originally the primary applicant but hubby is the one who has worked over 35 hours as a print finisher (no trade recognition) Got our permanent visa (887) without any fuss at all.

:biglaugh:

Guest WoodMartin
Would you recommend attending one when we come over for real later this year?

We'd done a lot of research and looked a lot of things up before the meeting anyway, so I don't think there was anything particularly 'new' for us in the meeting. It was, however, really good to attend as we heard the information direct from the horses mouth (as it were) rather than second or third hand. We also chatted to a few other people while waiting, which was good. I am glad we attended as you never know; there may have been something we missed or had misunderstood, and there was a chance to ask questions to the presenters if we'd still had any queries.

My recommendation would be yes, attend, but in the end it is down to you, and how informed or settled (or jet lagged!) you feel at the time.

We were given the time/date by our Meet and Greeter, and asked to confirm attendance later by phone, when we were picked up from the airport. Not sure how others have found out about the meetings.

Ali