How do you register a baby in Oz?

Guest familygood

Guest familygood

Hello,

We are due our second little one in May and wondered if anyone can tell me how we would get him/her registered and get a birth certificate? We are on 475 visa so not perm residents so guessing it will need to be in UK?! Hadn't occured to me until just now!

Anyone done this themselves?

Thanks

Guest guest2184

Not sure of the exact Australian details but having done it the other way round it's very straightforward.

Had three kids in three different countries and it worked like this:

Registered birth in country (all had different ways of doing it)

Child got British Birth Certificate (because of my job all my kids are treated as British-born wherever they are actually born in the world)

Went to Australian High Commission in country with British Birth Certificate, local birth registration, wife's Australian Passport, wife's Australian Birth Certificate and our Marriage Certificate and applied for a Certificate of Australian Citizenship by Descent for the child. As soon as this came we applied for the child's Australian Passport.

Therefore what will happen is that you'll register the birth with South Australia (as riponian says they'll tell you in the hospital how to do this) and then you'll have to get down the British High Commission with all the paperwork and register the birth there for the British equivalent of the Certificate of Citizenship by Descent so that you can get the child a passport.

Hope this helps.

You don't need to register the birth at a British High Commission if the chiold is born in a commonwealth country like Aus. You just register the birth in the same way aussies do and u will get a birth cert. For your childs first brit passport you will need to prove their right to british citizenship through yours.

Guest Trakki

When you have the baby you will be given a pack with the form in also a form for the baby bonus but unsure if you will be eligible on your visa but they will be able to tell you. You send off the registration form and you will receive the birth cert in the post.

HTH and all the best