PR 887- how long is it valid for?

Guest steph

Hi there,

Was just wondering if anyone knew how long a permanent visa is valid for if you were living in the UK. I have heard it would be valid for 5 years and then you would have to validate it again?

Guest Nicky&Andy

if you have your visa then it should tell you the date you have to enter australia, ours is feb 2013 (which will be 5yrs) once it has ran out,then its ran out. you will have to reapply from the beginning again

Thanks for that and I think you are right even though its the visa coming the other way. It would last for 5 years and that would be it. We are returning to the UK but not until we get our permanency. Was just wondering how long it would last if we became ping pongers and wanted to come back to Oz. It seems like so many do. I can't see it myself as going back again is causing so many problems as it is.

A permanent visa is just that. You can stay permanently. The 5 year bit just allows to to leave OZ and return on that visa. After 5 years you either need to be a citizen with a OZ passport or get a Resident Return Visa to be able to leave and re-enter OZ. You don't have to apply for a skilled visa again.The RRV is easy and quick to get if you have been living in OZ for 2 out of last 5 years on a PR visa. They do cost but last for up to 5 years.

This is what it says on the 887 visa page.

"As a permanent resident you are permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely. This visa also allows you to travel to and enter Australia for five (5) years from the date the visa is granted. The expiry of this visa does not affect your permanent resident status if you are in Australia. However, if you wish to continue to travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident after the initial visa has expired, you must obtain a Resident Return Visa (RRV). Your eligibility for an RRV will depend on the period that you have resided in Australia."

Thanks for that. The reason I was asking is because we are going back to the Uk for family reasons but wanted to get our permanent visa before we go in case we wanted to come back to Oz. I can't see us coming back but from what you said it seems we would be able to come back in the next 5 years ,but after that it would probably be difficult as we would have been living out of Oz in the Uk. I guess 5 years would be long enough to know if we wanted to return or not.