Hi Guys Please help urgently

Guest gina&alan

Guest gina&alan

Hi we have to make the decision to come to Australia in next 2 days or it will be to late to come and we will have missed our chance, The options were Adelaide or cairns as they have to be regeonal area,s.

I am 52 years of age and wood floor polisher but it is a 2 man job for moving machines about and i have a damaged knee ,This does not stop me working as long as i have someone working alongside me, please see my website for what i do (http://www.profloorsanding.com ).

I also hold a coach/bus drivers license.

Here is the problem we have tried for years to get down under and have done reccys to queensland and NZ but have had the rug pulled from under our feet twice due to immigration agents not been able to keep there promises and employers pulling out due to bad experiences with other brits before we arrived.

So here we are Gina is 43 in in april 23rd and can study in a hairdressing college for 2 years and complete her course before her 45th birthday on a student visa ( course starts in CBD on 1st april )

At that point she can apply for a graduate visa then work within hairdressing for 1 year then after that apply for PR with a state sponsor.

But there are restrictions Gina will not be able to work in the first year as in college full time and i will have restrictions of been only able to work 20 hours a week.

In year 2 we will bothe be able to work 20 hours a week.

I have my own wood flooring business in UK and a nice house , but i guess it would not be wise to sell up until we have PR ( never sell up in time in this climate anyhow ) which is a very long risky route so we will have to rent for 3 years or more on very low wages (20 hours a week)

How easy do you think it would be for me to get a flooring job ,or set up on my own and what about licensing, how does one get a license, alternativly a coach driving job.

A lot of the rentals look very old fashioned compared to other areas,s of OZ so what would we have to pay a week to get a decent house without 70 style carpets and wall paper lol.

We also have a 7 year old son and one of our older daughters will be coming out for a year in the summer when she finnishes uni.

I have wanted this all my life and now the time is right , but to what risk. this is our very last chance and has to be decided in next few days.

How easy would it be to drop our son of at school and Gina get to college in CBD on the days i work, is Adelaide easy to get around , traffic etc.

Is Adelaide and the life style worth the risk, How good is Adelaide, as i think i would stuggle to find work in Cairns with what i do.

Please help look forward to your replys urgently

Kindest regards Alan & Gina

Hey man...in my opnion Adelaide is great lots to do and see, the job is nopt too bad at the moment their tends to be more jobs by word of mouth than by adverts.

If you want something bad enough then it can be achieved, you have joines the ebst place on ther ent for friendkly advice about anything to do with Adelaide and it is all free...soome good stuff and some not so good stuff, this place has got honest people ion here who are all too happy to share, care and help out any newbies.

You HAVE to be 100% for the move any doubts can multipy themselves 100 fold...come with a blank canvas and a new set of crayones to draw your new picture....

Welcome to the site and just ask ask and ask some more..she be right as they say over here...

HG

Guest ben&sharon

Oh hell - you've not got much time left for a decision, have you?

I've always been a two-feet-first kind of a person, and whilst I've often had reason to regret the results of my actions, I have never once regretted the actions themselves. Life is very short etc etc..... ;) It seems to me that if you want something bad enough, then you've got to give it a go or spend the rest of your life what-if-ing. BUT (and there always is one...) - leave yourselves a way to get back if it doesn't work out, and it sounds like you'll be doing that by not selling up in the short term.

I don't usually respond to this sort of post, because it's very personal to each individual, but your situation is pretty unique.....

Only you can decide ultimately - I know what I'd do, but it might not be the right thing for you.

Good luck on your decision. X

Guest mayjess

Hi there, God what a dilemma, I definatley agree with previous posts, its ultimatley your decision, no one can make it for you, couple of things you may want to consider, can someone keep your business in the UK going for a while? and yes I would rent your house out 1st to see if you even settle in Adelaide, also money is a biggy, if you can cut your cloth accordingly & live within your means you will be fine. Getting your son to school etc, well I used to work for adelaide metro & their trains/buses & trams are great, they have a good telephone helpline and cheap tickets system for you.

you have to ask yourself if you are brave enough to give it ago, or are you happy with your decision to stay in the UK.

GOOD LUCK

Mayjess

Guest cornish Busdriver

G'day Alan and Gina.

You cant work here as a bus / coach driver until you resit your test and get your accreitation as the UK bus or truck licence is not valid here plus you need to have a PR visa to drive public transport as well.

On the up side companys like Torrens Transit, Southlink and transitPlus will employ and train you up to get your licence once you have got your PR visa but you are roped in for 12 months and all bus companys are screaming out for drivers so work wont be a problem.

Guest gina&alan

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply,

We to are feet first type or people but we made a terrible financial booboo in spain a few years ago and due to injury could not afford to cover the spanish morgage and had it reppossed this year losing our life savings, this is why we need to be very careful with choices now.

But we want to put it all behind us and give our kids a good chance of life , where we can do outdoor activities as a family and not been stuck in all our spare time, decisions decisions,

Many thanks Alan

Guest Guest75

I came over at 40 - now 51 and blooming loving it......came feet and whatever else was attached first.

But we had built up with a plan before we did this.

Really can't advise whixh way to jump - BUT - good luck with your decision!!!!:):)

I do meet/ know a lot of people who say things happened because they were "Meant to be" ? hope you are one of those.

:):)

Guest gina&alan

I Guess that put that out of the options then, you have to have PR before you can drive a public vehicle and resit test, never do it will be 3 years befor we can apply for PR and i have not driven a coach in 9 years, not that a couple of hours behind the wheel wont put right , just did not realize about pr, what sort of wages / hourly rates do drivers get,

Many thanks Alan

Guest angiestaff
Hi we have to make the decision to come to Australia in next 2 days or it will be to late to come and we will have missed our chance, The options were Adelaide or cairns as they have to be regeonal area,s.

I am 52 years of age and wood floor polisher but it is a 2 man job for moving machines about and i have a damaged knee ,This does not stop me working as long as i have someone working alongside me, please see my website for what i do (www.profloorsanding.com ).

I also hold a coach/bus drivers license.

Here is the problem we have tried for years to get down under and have done reccys to queensland and NZ but have had the rug pulled from under our feet twice due to immigration agents not been able to keep there promises and employers pulling out due to bad experiences with other brits before we arrived.

So here we are Gina is 43 in in april 23rd and can study in a hairdressing college for 2 years and complete her course before her 45th birthday on a student visa ( course starts in CBD on 1st april )

At that point she can apply for a graduate visa then work within hairdressing for 1 year then after that apply for PR with a state sponsor.

But there are restrictions Gina will not be able to work in the first year as in college full time and i will have restrictions of been only able to work 20 hours a week.

In year 2 we will bothe be able to work 20 hours a week.

I have my own wood flooring business in UK and a nice house , but i guess it would not be wise to sell up until we have PR ( never sell up in time in this climate anyhow ) which is a very long risky route so we will have to rent for 3 years or more on very low wages (20 hours a week)

How easy do you think it would be for me to get a flooring job ,or set up on my own and what about licensing, how does one get a license, alternativly a coach driving job.

A lot of the rentals look very old fashioned compared to other areas,s of OZ so what would we have to pay a week to get a decent house without 70 style carpets and wall paper lol.

We also have a 7 year old son and one of our older daughters will be coming out for a year in the summer when she finnishes uni.

I have wanted this all my life and now the time is right , but to what risk. this is our very last chance and has to be decided in next few days.

How easy would it be to drop our son of at school and Gina get to college in CBD on the days i work, is Adelaide easy to get around , traffic etc.

Is Adelaide and the life style worth the risk, How good is Adelaide, as i think i would stuggle to find work in Cairns with what i do.

Please help look forward to your replys urgently

Kindest regards Alan & Gina

Hi,

good luck with making ur decision, i know it can't be an easy one!

i know it's changing the subject but where in solihull are you from?, i lived just down the road in sheldon, on brays road near the bp garage (on the coventry rd)

i hope ur plans go well

ange x

Guest cornish Busdriver

G'day Alan.

Depends on shifts, contracts, how many hours you work, OT saturdays and sundays.

Average take home for me is between $700 to $900 pw after deductions and thats bout 40hrs but have been know to take home $1200 pw if i can be assed to put the OT in.

Garenteed min 32hr pw but can only work max 14hr day plus you can only work one day of the weekend, sat = 26ph / sun = 35ph normal week day 21ph and 26 OT

Guest gina&alan

Just of Solihull Town center by the church i used to live in ollerton road by the island, small world any chance we can call you for a quick chat today at a suitable time, We have no time left and whether its worth risking everything here for a better life style

Guest angiestaff
Just of Solihull Town center by the church i used to live in ollerton road by the island, small world any chance we can call you for a quick chat today at a suitable time, We have no time left and whether its worth risking everything here for a better life style

Hi,

sorry i'm at work at the moment, i get home around 8am (adelaide time! lol)

i can tell you all the positives about being in adelaide (and i feel there's many) but they won't be UR positives and when you boil down to it that's what counts.

i can undestand u hesitating as you had a bad experience before but believe me i had doubts before i came here (still do sometimes!...not very often though lol).

our main issue was not sitting together in our old age in the middle of sheldon and wondering....'what may have been'.

we always said that if it doesn't work then we'd try somewhere else in australia and then maybe even new zealand b4 we'd think about moving back to the uk. but then starting again is bloody hard work so i can understand that you may not want to do it all again.

if you can afford to do it without selling ur house, then i'd say....go 4 it!!!(but remember it is hard work but i feel worth the effort).....life's too short to be wondering 'what if....'

p.m me and we'll try and get in touch soon (i know it'll be too late 4 u to make ur decision) but hopefully me n hubby can be of some help

ange x

As everyone else says, depends how much you want it, but reading your circumstances, it is going to be VERY hard for you for 3 years, if you are prepared for that, great, because it will seem 10x harder when you are going through it. If you can struggle through, it should come good, and it is a great place to live with a young family.

Hi

Just one point, have you looked into costs of schooling for your son? I have a feeling on a student visa you may have to pay international fees - check this out with your migration agent, as I could be wrong (have been before!)

Best of luck though, fingers crossed for you

Diane

Guest gina&alan

Hi does anyone know if i need regestration for doing wood flooring sanding/fitting

work and how easy it would be for me to get this required card i need.

Regards Alan

Hi Gina and Alan,

Like most people I hesitated before adding my bit, but :wubclub:!A few things struck me as I read your post (one being "Glad it's not my decision!" lol!)

Firstly, why do you have to work in regional areas? And if you do, does Adelaide - the most intensely populated part of SA- qualify or will you have to actually work in regional SA? As Gina has been accepted for a course in the CBD, I'm guesing that's all good?

I agree totally with the people who have already suggested that you keep as much going in the UK as poss. This isn't negative thinking, more a practical back up if things don't work out. I've never been on a Temporary (or whatever it's called) visa, but I would be very careful to work out worst-case scenarios with the money. You can't eat beach lol! Like many of our friends we live from pay day to pay day; doesn't particularly worry me but I can't imagine how we'd cope if we had the (apparently) increased bills that come with Temp visas.

Life here is good, but it is only life lol! People seem to think that life is beach, barbies and 24/7 good old fashioned fun for the litlies. It kinda is, but make no mistake, there are some of the same problems you have in the UK. That said, we are proud to be Australian, none of us have ever wanted to return to the Uk and we wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the world. So for us, it was worth it. Just be careful - stressing out over money could tarnish anyone's dream.

I'm so sorry you have such a dilemma. I truly hope it works out for you all.

Good luck, LC

PS. Why not phone one of the flooring places here and get their take on it?

Guest cornish Busdriver

Hi Alan.

Im not sure bout the risk as i would hate to say "yeah great go for it" and everything go's tits up.

Try emailing torrens transit morphettville@torrenstransit.com.au and ask if it possible to do 20hrs pw and work out some way to work on your visa, you never know they might have a solution that could work.

Also "is adelaide a great place for kids' Hell Yeah !!!!!! I would have loved to been a kid growing up here, theres so much to do for kids from the beach's, scouts, clubs, aventure and wildlife parks. It baffles me sometimes when people say theres not much to do.

Guest angiestaff
Hi Angie are you at home for a quick 5 minute chat if we call you,

Gina & Alan Solihull

sorry don't know when u posted this :confused:

due to my shifts its a bit hard to arrange times, message me on here with ur email address and we'll try and arrange time at the weekend if that'll help?

hope u've been able to make ur decision

ange

Guest gina&alan

Help Help further implications after having spoken to immigration advisor today.

Gina is 43 in april 23rd, we are coming to adelaide on a student visa for 2 years for her to train in a hairdressing college and then apply for PR before the age of 45,

But immigration policies changed a couple of weeks ago and now she must do a years work experience before she can apply for PR.

Therefore this takes her over the age of 45 and cannot apply for Pr or any other visa for that matter.

What she would then need is a sponsored job offer from a hair salon otherwise we are going home after spending our life savings to fund this.

Do you think this would be possible to do, or would it really be a struggle to find a sponsor.

Alan is over the age of 45 and cannot get us in at all.

This is our very last chance as we have tried every other avenue.

Thanks for looking and awaiting your responce as our decision has to be this week.