TRA Update...!!!

scooterdan

Hi,

I have recieved this news through the grape vine....! Any one appying for TRA with skills only on experience and no qualifications needs to read.

http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/5231CEBD-9212-41F1-AE00-365B2EFDCF9A/0/TRABulletinPathwayD4September07.pdf

I am contacting my agent ASAP to see who it affects.

Dan and Steph

Guest chillyanna

hi all

well the above post could be a real problem for some. it's come as a real shock, seems like it is being made more difficult now or are they trying to raise the standard of future applicants?

i did a little more research and found the following on the TRA website:

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplace/Programmes/TRA/3Newskillsassessmentservice.htm

New skills assessment service

For people intending to migrate to Australia from India, Sri Lanka, UK, South Africa and the Philippines in certain trades.

This new skills assessment service applies only to residents of:

• India, Sri Lanka, the United Kingdom, South Africa and the Philippines who wish to have their skills assessed for the General Skilled Migration programme in one of the following trade occupations:
    • general electrician [4311-11]
    • general plumber [4431-11]
    • refrigeration and air-conditioning mechanic [4312-11]
    • motor mechanic [4211-11]
    • carpenter and joiner [4411-11]
    • carpenter[4411-13]
    • joiner [4411-15]
    • electrical powerline tradesperson [4313-11]
    • cable jointer [4313-13]
    • bricklayer [4414-11]

New assessing authority

Under this new service, applications from potential migrants in the above countries and trades will no longer be assessed by TRA. From 1 September 2007 applications will be assessed by the VETASSESS Consortium, a group of Australian registered training organisations.

Consortium members include Kangan Batman TAFE, Box Hill Institute of TAFE, Victoria University, Swan TAFE, Great Southern TAFE, South West Regional College and Central Gippsland TAFE.

Skills assessment

Under the new skills assessment service, there will be three assessment phases:

• A free self assessment tool for potential applicants to gauge their suitability for the assessment process (this will be available on the VETASSESS website).
  • A paper based pre-assessment that would take into account qualifications and work experience in the relevant trade (applications accepted from 1 September 2007).
  • A technical interview and in country practical assessment. (A schedule of visits to each of the five countries for 2007/08 will be published on the VETASSESS website.)

I think the new assessors will will nit pic more i think,:err:

good luck to new applicants!

My agent says this should not affect anyone who had already submitted visa app with a positive TRA already! Just the new ones.

D and S

Thanks for the info, started to worry for a while, although going to be bad news for some.

TRA is only valid for a year though so hope they get a move on on the visas, also I thought if the worst happened and I did not get visa I could apply again in a couple of years, not now!

Simon

Hi

I'm panicking now. We passed our TRA in May, due to problems with sending visa application it may not have arrived by 31st August. Just waiting for confirmation of that, and if info does come back that we missed the deadline and have to submit, will our TRA still be valid for application with the new form? I didn't realise it only had a year's validity either, so if our application isn't processed by next May (completely done and dusted?), we will have to apply again?

Carla

Guest Aussiebound

I spoke to Go Matilda yesterday about this, they said it was all completely out of the blue.

They have never heard of TRA returning applications fees and forms etc, they normally honour the ones already submitted before the changes.

Hope this hasn't affected any ones visa chances.

They are certainly not making it easy for us!!!

Guest nikkiandlee

I wonder what has triggered this decision :wideeyed:. I have certificates howeve i really do feel for those who are now in a situation where there TRA is returned :sad:.

Odd that there has been no warning or explanation as yet.

Nikki

Guest Aussiebound
I wonder what has triggered this decision :wideeyed:. I have certificates howeve i really do feel for those who are now in a situation where there TRA is returned :sad:.

Odd that there has been no warning or explanation as yet.

Nikki

Hi

Don't know if this helps anyone, or explains anything, this is what Go matilda sent me by email on Wedenesday afternoon.

Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

Author: Alan CollettDate: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 In an unexpected announcement affecting skilled migration to Australia, the body that assesses the competencies of most trade skills occupations (Trades Recognition Australia) has announced the removal of the assessment pathway for those who do not have qualifications.

TRA has announced that all applications that have been received from individuals seeking to rely on what is known as Skill Pathway D are to be returned immediately, together with the skills assessment fee. Skill Pathway D is the route to a skills assessment classification for those who predominantly rely on evidence of skilled work experience.

We believe that this change has probably arisen as a result of questionable work experience claims submitted by those seeking a skills assessment classification from TRA - to the best of our knowledge these claims are not checked by TRA prior to an assessment being issued. At a time when a Federal election in Australia is only a matter of weeks away it would clearly not be in the Government's interests for the existence of fraudulent work experience claims from those seeking to work in a trade skills capacity to become an election issue - the Minister can now point to a tightening of the process.

The update from TRA is available via the weblink below.

We will bring further news on this matter as soon as we become aware of it.

http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/5231CEBD-9212-41F1-AE00-365B2EFDCF9A/0/TRABulletinPathwayD4September07.pdf

Sarah

Guest c4ndygirl
:shocked: I know we couldnt believe it!! Its in the October issue of Australia and New Zealand magazine, just explains it came in from sept 1st and lists the trades it affects and the costs involved.

Hi There,

We read today that the TRA for the mentioned skills has gone from $300 to $2100 - wow!!

Having already done my TRA I have not spent to much time on this but have had a quick look just incase I dont get my visa and have to start again but this is what I found out.

The TRA cost is staying at $300 but the trades listed below will now have much more involved testing not from TRA but from vetaccess, the fees are listed below, hope this helps a little.

India, Sri Lanka, the United Kingdom, South Africa and the Philippines who wish to have their skills assessed for the General Skilled Migration programme in one of the following trade occupations:

• general electrician [4311-11]
  • general plumber [4431-11]
  • refrigeration and air-conditioning mechanic [4312-11]
  • motor mechanic [4211-11]
  • carpenter and joiner [4411-11]
  • carpenter[4411-13]
  • joiner [4411-15]
  • electrical powerline tradesperson [4313-11]
  • cable jointer [4313-13]
  • bricklayer

www.vetassess.com.au

1. Self -assessmentNo charge . 2. Competency profile

(paper based assessment)AUD $600 ''''''''''3. Practical skills assessmentAUD $1500 - carpenter, joiner, bricklayer and motor mechanic AUD $1600 - general electrician, cable jointer, electrical powerline tradesperson, refidgeration and air-conditioning mechanic, and general plumber

You must pay AUD $600 with your application for a competency profile (paper-based assessment).

You must pay the fee for your practical skills assessment when you receive notification from VETASSESS that you can proceed to this stage.