property development

Guest massive

Guest massive

We are moving to Adelaide next year after years of hard toil in doing up our last 3 houses over the last 10 years, this is something that i really enjoy doing and without being too big headed, i am quite good at it now.Does anyone know whether property developement is a big thing in Adelaide, do lots of people do it, is there a market for it?? Does anyone out there actually do it and would be interested in joining forces or would be willing to pass on any info.

Guest graandjac

;)Hi Massive have a look at www.realestate.com.au and looking at alot of the adverts for properties them seem to be sold as investment ie needs doing up and also the prices for older house are much lower, and the plots seem bigger on average.

This is something i have been looking at but some of the jobs that we would do at home you are not aloud to do down under ,for example plumbing and electrics have to be done by a registered tradesman.Cheers Graham

We are moving to Adelaide next year after years of hard toil in doing up our last 3 houses over the last 10 years, this is something that i really enjoy doing and without being too big headed, i am quite good at it now.Does anyone know whether property developement is a big thing in Adelaide, do lots of people do it, is there a market for it?? Does anyone out there actually do it and would be interested in joining forces or would be willing to pass on any info.

Hi, ive had the same idea about property developement, it is a bit of a problem that you cant change a light fitting or a tap on our own and just wondering if you need to have some kind of licence to carry out significant work on a house for profit, it would not suprise me. As im going on 495 visa (if I get it) I will have to wait to buy a old house unless to live in anyway so will have time to find out if its going to be profitalble before im able to start, I will follow this thread with interest though.

Simon

Guest massive

simon, im pretty sure that you arent meant to change sockets here without a qualification, and most plumbing jobs arent insured if you do them yourself, pretty sure that a couple of handy lads could pick up a cheap old property and do most of the work themselves and get a qualified plumber/spark to check the work before selling, for a fee of course, and make a tidy profit, certainly something that i will be looking at, ways and means around all problems..........what do you think??

simon, im pretty sure that you arent meant to change sockets here without a qualification, and most plumbing jobs arent insured if you do them yourself, pretty sure that a couple of handy lads could pick up a cheap old property and do most of the work themselves and get a qualified plumber/spark to check the work before selling, for a fee of course, and make a tidy profit, certainly something that i will be looking at, ways and means around all problems..........what do you think??

Hi, I would like to think theres a way around it, the one advantage is the plumbers in Aus dont charge the fortune they do here. I am currently a maintenance operative for a national builder and do all kinds of building work, and really want to do my own thing in Aus but a bit tricky without PR. Where theres a will theres a way;).

Simon

Guest Leanne & Mark

We looked at this too, but are also on a 457. I'm looking at doing electricians course here, and getting a licence on arrival (about a year). any one know a plumber ????

Mark

We looked at this too, but are also on a 457. I'm looking at doing electricians course here, and getting a licence on arrival (about a year). any one know a plumber ????

Mark

Yep,I do. I'm meeting his Mrs today, so will ask her if its ok to PM you his email/number.

J x

Guest Guest75

Hiya Massive

We renovated/ developed property in the UK also.

Seriously looked at it here but there are 2 main obstacles:

1,As said before you need a license for everything - I can do small plumbing/joinery/electrical and so on but to sell a property on that has had work by unlicensed people is illegal:sad:

It can break a contract / kill insurance and so on.

Finding someone who has multi licenses is very hard and they are much in demand,I know 2 and they are chocca with work.

2,Resale value/stock.

There is just not the profit to be had in renovating as costs are high due to having to use several licensed tradies and the cost of materials is higher also.Timber is very expensive here!Also there is a trend towards buying new or newer homes so older homes with no real old charm can be viewed as "secondhand":biglaugh:

There is not much stock of that nature/price to buy in my locale and I would definitely so a lot of homework on any area you choose.

Development from ground up on bare land can be profitable but there again you need plenty of people/tradies involved and normally this is only possible by larger building companies.

I'd be wary of buying into property developments with glossy brochures and promises of high returns also.

Hope this helps :D

Guest Guest75
well, i will just have to resort to plan B... not quite sure what that is yet, maybe live on the beach and be the next shane warne, well the next british one anyway.:notworthy:

Don't be disheartened - we ended up on plan X and Z .Great fun to plan your future here - and make any mistakes "In your head" rather than here :D

Guest motlyman

I am a mechanic by trade. Plan (A) was to buy a business car related as i had one in the UK.

Didnt happen.

Plan (B) was get a job car related as i didnt know anything else.

Didnt happen.

I now have a pool & spa maintenance business and love it to bits. Plan © i guess!

Now im glad plan A & B didnt happen.

You just never know.

Colin

Guest massive

I am a maintenance fitter by trade so that sould be plan A , but i really fancy a change dont fancy being couped up for the rest of my natural. would love to work outdoors doing something new and exciting, pretty sure there are plenty of oppertunities out thete and as you say it is better to try out there rather than sit here and say what if ect....:goofy:

Guest Leanne & Mark

Thats great to hear colin, OH is a regional manager here, after being in the paras for almost ten yrs, it too officed based for him. Whilst we are here he is gonna do his prince 2 management course, and electricians course so we have both options. But i guess we have to be prepared for any thing.

Guest motlyman

Its good to have something to fall back on but, yep, keep your options open.

I fancied a change anyway but hearing mechanics wages are crap and some boiling hot workshops didnt do it for me anyway.

Colin

Guest massive

Do plumbers qualifications in the uk count in oz, i was thinking of doing a course just to get a qualification, just so i could do something different, is there a big need for tilers over there cos i like doing that and i am not too bad, dont tell me you need to be qualified to tile........:Randy-git:

Do plumbers qualifications in the uk count in oz, i was thinking of doing a course just to get a qualification, just so i could do something different, is there a big need for tilers over there cos i like doing that and i am not too bad, dont tell me you need to be qualified to tile........:Randy-git:

im pretty sure floor and wall tilers are on the modl list, so should be plenty of work around,

Simon

Guest dglamoore

For most of the trades here to work on your own as a sub contractor or go self employed you would need to have an aussie licence to work that trade so even if you have uk qualifications you would still have to do this once you get here unless you work for a company as an employer :o

Lisa:jiggy:

Guest guest569

I think its still a good idea to get a UK qualification as i don't think you'll be able to get an ozzy liscence without it unless you go to college and get your papers here.

Guest Guest75
Stamp duty is a big killer in the property development game...I think its about 4%!!!!!!

It is a killer - you have to wait at least a year for the property in increase before you get your stamp duty back:mad: