Importing a left hand drive vehicle

Guest JayBone

Guest JayBone

Hi,

My head is spinning!!!

Can someone please clarify whether or not i can import a left hand drive vehicle to South Australia?

I have emailed numerous departments but not had any replies yet.

It says on the SA Government tansport site that Historic vehicles and prescribed left hand drive vehicles can be conditionally registered for a reduced fee, but i dont want this, i dont want conditional registration as it limits how often you can drive the vehicle.

I cant seem to find any information anywhere that defines the rules. Somebody told me some time back that it would be ok but i cant find the forum it was on, let alone the thread!!

If there is somebody out there who is going to be really bored on Monday morning and would be so kind as to call the local rego office and ask the question i would be forever grateful:wubclub:

As if the move isnt stressful enough i am now panicking about losing my Pride and Joy!:nah:

Thanks

Jon

Guest JayBone

Cheers Stevo,

It looks like my van is exempt from all ADR regulations as it was manufactured in 1961, its a VW Kombi.

Thanks for the info.....still doesnt nail it though, whether i can or not?!?

Cheers Jon

Guest JayBone

Cheers,

Ive sent them an email enquiry.

Im probably worrying over nothing but it seems we have so much to sort out at the minute, as im sure you understand, albeit nearly 20 years ago you went through it, it was probably worse then without e-mail etc!:arghh:

Cheers dude.

Im just having fun on google maps walking around the streets of adelaide, tell me where you live and ill check it out!

Guest Guest5035
Cheers,

albeit nearly 20 years ago you went through it, it was probably worse then without e-mail etc!:arghh:

Cheers dude.

Im just having fun on google maps walking around the streets of adelaide, tell me where you live and ill check it out!

Tell me about it 20 years ago, i look these days see cheap phone calls, Skype, emails, google etc etc, no wonder my OH had a bad time?

Wynn Vale.

Stevo

Guest LEE & DONNA

As far as i know if you bring a left handed vehicle across you have to have it converted to right hand drive within 6 months. that is what the police in Glenelg said when i enquired because i have a dodge ram which i was thinking about bringing but the cost of making it right hand drive are just to opressive.

Guest JayBone
As far as i know if you bring a left handed vehicle across you have to have it converted to right hand drive within 6 months. that is what the police in Glenelg said when i enquired because i have a dodge ram which i was thinking about bringing but the cost of making it right hand drive are just to opressive.

I think (hope) that the reason you may have had to have it converted is because it was manufactured after 1989, which is when the laws changed.

Because mine is a 1961 i should be able to import it without the same restriction, i read on the info i was sent last night that because mine is a pre-64 there are no Australian design rules that it has to adhere too! I dont even need seatbelts or a horn!

Still waiting on a definitive answer from SA Transport agency though, even if i have to convert it its coming, im moving to OZ to give my van a better life...lol ;)

Guest bugbabe

Hi,

Im sure you won't have a problem-we are shipping our 54 oval bug. Right hand drive though. Try a few of the Australian VW forums - aussieveedubbers.com has been really useful for us. Loads of ex pats on there :)

Good luck xx

Guest JayBone
Hi,

Im sure you won't have a problem-we are shipping our 54 oval bug. Right hand drive though. Try a few of the Australian VW forums - aussieveedubbers.com has been really useful for us. Loads of ex pats on there :)

Good luck xx

54 Oval bug....Very Nice!:wubclub:

When are you shipping it? When are you hoping to go?

Ive had lots of info from the Kombiclub (they even sent me a membership sticker to the UK) and i think i will email Volksenthusiasts and the VW club of SA, both adelaide based for some advice.

We have decided to sell our GT Beetle, im devastated but think its for the best, i might change my mind yet depending on cost to import it aswell!

Hopefully catch up with you soon in Adelaide

Glad to see another VW fanatic is making there way over here.

Have a look on VWwatercooled Australia - Powered by vBulletin

I know its for water cooled but there is lots of people in the know on there.

There are quite a few splitties knocking around Adelaide so you would be in good company.

Hope this may be of some help.

Rob

Guest JayBone

YESSSSSSSSS!!!

Ive found the evidence i was looking for!

Only thing i need to do with the van is raise the ride height back to stock and remove the CD player!

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/personal_transport/light_vehicles_pdfs/MR_629_Left_Hand_Drive_Vehicles.pdf

What a relief.............Cant wait to cruise the esplanades in him now!

Guest JayBone
Hi JayBone

Does it say if its R/H drive you have to take it to stock height. I need to do some work on my font beam and that has been cut and lowered so will need to buy new beam standard height (with adjusters)

NO CD PLAYER AAAAAAAGH!!!!!!!!!!!:arghh:

Not sure mate, could well be cos its to do with historic vehicles over 30 years old i believe, i think they have to be near as damn it, stock.

I think i might have to buy some steelies too and take the BRM's off.

But once it is registered you can return it to how you want it, until you get stopped and have to go for an inspection.....:huh: