Dogs

Guest Smudge

hi can anyone give me i lil advice please, we have a Black Lab and have been told he needs a Rabies injection 6 months before we fly.....:confused: Is this the case???? Will try and find out more info tomorrow but cant seem to see a yes or no on any of the web sites:unsure:Thanks Kathy

Guest JoTanCalOwen

it seems : as we appear to be a rabies free country your dog should not need a rabies vaccination some others are recommended in the information below only regular quarantine have a read make sure I have it right.

Category 2: Minimum 30 days in Australian quarantine - DAFF

http://www.daff.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/709207/category-2-information-package.pdf

Step 8: General Vaccinations

Time frame: Between 1 year and 14 days prior to export.

Vaccinations must be valid for the entire quarantine period in Australia. All vaccinations

must have been administered within an AQIS approved country.

Dogs must be vaccinated against distemper, infectious hepatitis, canine parvovirus (parvo), para-influenza and Bordetella bronchiseptica (kennel cough).

Australia has very strict regulations regarding the importing of animals in order to protect against the introduction of diseases which could damage plant and animal life and thus the Australian economy. Application for an Import Permit must be made to the Principle Veterinary Officer (Quarantine) in the relevant State or Territory. Stringent health and certification requirements must be met and each animal must be accompanied by a certificate of inspection by an Official Veterinarian. In most cases the animal will need to be identified by a microchip or tattoo. Both dogs and cats are required to undergo a period of quarantine on arrival in Australia at one of three centres (in Victoria, NSW and Western Australia). Dogs and cats from approved rabies-free countries (including the UK) which meet all other requirements for import are currently quarantined for a period of 30 days.

Hope it helps anyway

Tanya

hi can anyone give me i lil advice please, we have a Black Lab and have been told he needs a Rabies injection 6 months before we fly.....:confused: Is this the case???? Will try and find out more info tomorrow but cant seem to see a yes or no on any of the web sites:unsure:Thanks Kathy

Guest angiestaff

hi,

i don't remember getting my 2 to have rabies injections?? :confused:

we used par air to fly ours, not sure who ur using but give them a ring i'm sure they'd be able to help

i know it's easier said than done but don't worry too much about ur dog as our 2 coped really well with the flights and the quarantine, i think we worry far more than we really should!! lol

ange x

Guest JayBone

Our Lab is getting a rabies injection but that is only so we can get her a pet passport - speak to your vet about this.

A pet passport is a good thing to obtain, because for whatever reason if you decide you want or have to return to the UK it prevents the need for the dog to go in Quarantine when/if you arrive back in the UK

Not something we are considering but one less thing to stress about if it doesnt work out.

As far as importing him/her without obtaining the pet passport, a rabies injection is not a requirement. but DEFINITELY dont get the Lepto (leptospirosis) booster as this prevents you been able to import them until the vaccine has worn off.

Guest angiestaff

A pet passport is a good thing to obtain, because for whatever reason if you decide you want or have to return to the UK it prevents the need for the dog to go in Quarantine when/if you arrive back in the UK

Not something we are considering but one less thing to stress about if it doesnt work out.

we have always said from the start that we'll never force our our dogs to endure another 24 hr flight again, our family are aware of this i just hope that it never becomes an issue. :skeptical:

hubby is aware that i will never go back to the uk and make the dogs endure the flight again, we owe it to them to give it a bloody good go (please don't take offence i'm just talking from my point of view x)

as i'm typing this they're lyin on the sette looking sweet n innocent (i wish it could last lol)

ange x

Just wanted to say your post gave me a real smile this morning: It comes up on the list of New Posts as:

DOGS

Smudge

We have a cat called Smudge and I thought she'd got onto the PC and was having a moan about our dog!

Sorry, just my warped sense of humour and no help at all with your query, but thanks for the smile! Off to walk the dog (Bonny) and cat (Smudge) now.....

• 2 years later...
Guest AlisonCarlton

We are heading to Adelaide this summer. We have recently had our dog vaccinated against rabies by our vet. He then had to have a blood test 4 weeks later, which was done by our vet and sent to an approved lab over here for testing. England is no longer classed as rabies free (this changed on 1st January 2012), we are now classed as well-controlled which means you need to have your dog vaccinated against rabies otherwise they will need to spend a long time in quarantine when they arrive in Australia instead of the usual 4 weeks.

I must admit i hadn't thought about getting a pet passport but will look into that now, in case we want to return to England.

Hope this helps

Alison

Hi Smudge

We have just started this process, our two retrievers had their rabies jabs last weekend, they have to wait 30 days to have blood tests. Then they will have to wait 5 months before their second blood test, before they can travel Then there is 30 days quarantine in Melbourne. They can travel to Australia before the second blood test, but they would have to spend the equiv amount of time in quarantine. Just another reason why being in the EC is a real waste of time as the UK is now 'technically' not classed

as rabies free.

Still we figure, we'll all feel more at home when they are part of our family again.

R & H

Guest AlisonCarlton

R & H

I can't find anything on the aussie government website that says you need to have two blood tests for rabies done. We have had the one done 4 weeks after his vaccination and that came back ok and a certificate was sent back with it. After reading your message i went and checked again but couldn't find anything about another blood test, unless the first one was no good. Perhaps you can enlighten me because i expect i have missed something!!

Thanks

Alison

Guest La1ney

Hi, as far as i know and from the information i have had from the pet shipping companies its only one blood test with the certificate. Hope not anymore our springer is a pain when it comes to blood tests. (well vets fullstop).

FWIW this is an old thread from 2010 so anyone posting in the past few days, the answers would of course have been different back in 2010 for the OP.

Will lock this thread as its bit confusing having replies to such an old thread. Can always split it or you are welcome to start a new thread if you wish :)