Flies and other insects

Guest Jane B

Just wondering about the insect situation in Adelaide.

Not bothered about the odd spider, creepy crawly, etc - but a friend of mine who emigrated to Perth says that the flies there are awful.

She says that from about October to January they are inundated with flies, if you go out, your clothes get covered in them, and that it is impossible to sit outside having something to eat on her patio as the flies swarm everywhere. She says it looks like some of those pictures you see of Africa with flies crawling all over people - urgh !

What is the fly situation in Adelaide ?

Hope this isn't a daft question !

Jane

In all of our trips to Adelaide, the times we have been most bothered by flies is when out on our friends farm, about 1 and a bit hours from Adelaide. They can be a nuisance and do get on your nerves, but when we are outside the house having a barby, although some flies are evident, they are not a major problem. Most houses have flyscreens at the doors and windows, which keep them out, but yes there will be flies, but they generally are harmless. Always be aware that there may be insects, spiders, snakes, centipedes, scorpions, and you will be okay. I have never been bitten, but the mossies have got me a few times.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

The flies last year were a bl***dy nuisence. They werent as bad as the year before though. They are more annoying here than the uk, they seem to keep coming back to you even after you swot them away. They are going for you nose, mouth and eyes. I have noticed the odd few already, so I hope its not a bad sign!!!:err:.

sarah

It's the Mozzies that "bug" us the most in summer.As soon as it starts to get dark they come out in force and can spoil a great evening.

Flies come and go with bad days after a little rain in summer.

Ants are a constant nuisance but you do get used to them.

Guest ralph n bev
It's the Mozzies that "bug" us the most in summer.As soon as it starts to get dark they come out in force and can spoil a great evening.

Flies come and go with bad days after a little rain in summer.

Ants are a constant nuisance but you do get used to them.

Hello everyone ,

havnt been on for a while as for some reason it wouldnt recognise me !

Just incase this says its my first post , its not . Ive finally got it sorted .

Now ive got a new 8 digit password god knows how ill remember it , and I'll have to find my avatar pic again!

About the MOZZIES

Ive been taking extra strenghth Vitamin B tablets for 2 weeks now , after being told that the mozzies hate the smell on your skin and sweat .

(I havnt noticed any smell , on my skin or sweat , though my wee is the brightest yellow youve ever seen, hope its out of my system before we have the medicals!!)

We arrive in Adelaide on the 17th of Sep for our long awaited reccie so i hope they work as i get bitten to death by them when ever they are out !

Fingers crossed it works , I'll let you know !!

Bev

Guest ralph n bev
Ants, ants and more ants!!!

I got bit yesterday putting the washing out, I didn't half hurt.

:sad:

I realised then I need to stock up on the old anti histamine!

Ive packed antihistamine tablets and some ointment we got in Greece earlier in the year .

Does anyone know if the Vit B stops the ants biting too?

If it can bite you bet it will bite me unfortunatley .

When we had the P.I.A. meet in licoln i got several bites , ive still got a sore bit and it was weeks ago now!

What do the locals do out there? Do you become immune to the nasty reactions over time ?

Bev:)

Ants, ants and more ants!!!

I got bit yesterday putting the washing out, I didn't half hurt.

:sad:

I realised then I need to stock up on the old anti histamine!

Is there anything in Australia that doesnt bite?:D

Simon

Guest Guzzler&Sas

can highly reccommend bushmans too. Flies, mossies you name, annoy the ++++ out of me too (starting to whinge a bit!) but apparently they all love Pommie blood (so I have been told by Aussies). Both Ruby and I were bitten at the weekend but some things in paradise take a bit more getting used to i guess.

Now you know where the Aussie Wave comes from, why they wear cork hats and why many don't open their mouths much to speak and mumble .... stop those flies getting in!

Ha!

Sas

:jiggy: