Citizenship

Sallyh

Just seen reference to citizenship on another thread, and it has reminded me that I need to think about doing it soon. Its been on my to do list for ages but I just wondered what others' experiences of it are? I am eligible to apply any time but I haven't got it sorted yet.

Anyone done it?

ETA: I thought I was eligible, pretty sure on the visa I had it said I was exempt from the residence reqt but i can't tell properly from the online info - guess I will ring them up and find out and do it and get it out of the way if I am eligible as I thought. If not,will have to wait -and I assume any trips back to the UK get taken off the waiting time?

think you have to have been here 4 years now, it used to be 2. Think it depends when your visa was granted. Just noticed your signature, we arrived sept 08 too and had out son Aug 09.

:) congratulations!

Yes I checked the website how annoying is that, the rules have changed for applications after June this year, at which point I will be 3 mths short of 2 years, then it goes up to 4.

The reason I was confused is that my visa didn't have a residence requirement of 2 years till it became permanent, and I didnt have to wait for other eligibility (centre link etc). So I got that confused with the 2 yrs reqt for citizenship. Oh well, I guess the more important thing is getting my baby English citizenship and a passport sorted out for when we go to the UK.

Guest Kelly O

Hi

We got our PR visas in May 2004, activated them in July 2004 and finally got our act together ( doing our house up was a major task! ) moved here in April 2009. Does that mean it is 2 or 4 years- I believe it is 4 but hoping it might be 2! If you can let me know where to check I would really appreciate that!

Cheers, Kelly

:) congratulations!

Yes I checked the website how annoying is that, the rules have changed for applications after June this year, at which point I will be 3 mths short of 2 years, then it goes up to 4.

The reason I was confused is that my visa didn't have a residence requirement of 2 years till it became permanent, and I didnt have to wait for other eligibility (centre link etc). So I got that confused with the 2 yrs reqt for citizenship. Oh well, I guess the more important thing is getting my baby English citizenship and a passport sorted out for when we go to the UK.

Just a thought if your baby was born in Oz and you were PR then they will be an Oz citizen and will need an Oz passport to re-enter Oz and just a tourist visa (i Think) to enter UK. With just a UK passport they won't get back into Oz. They don't need UK passport to travel but do need an Oz one.

If your PR visa is still current that will be OK if not then you will need an RRV (resident return visa) to travel.

Apparently it depends what visa you are on as to whether the baby is classed as an Oz citizen, our little Kian is as we are on PR but I think if you are in a temp visa its different, this may be wrong but think there was a thread on this before and vaguely remember that being the case.