Self employed or setting up business under 176 visa?

Guest alixir

Hi all,

I'm just about to start a 176 visa application and was wondering if anyone has already set up as self employed or started a business? Are there any major recommendations for any governmental resources or grants/hidden fees etc. that I would need to know before seriously looking into this? Looking at contract work essentially. I know I can freely, and without charge, get an ARN number to trade under, at least I think that's what it's called. Just successfully passed my ACS 2231-79 Network Security yesterday =] yay! Looking at migrating from the UK asap!

Hope you're all having a lovely 37 degrees eve =]

Hi all,

I'm just about to start a 176 visa application and was wondering if anyone has already set up as self employed or started a business? Are there any major recommendations for any governmental resources or grants/hidden fees etc. that I would need to know before seriously looking into this? Looking at contract work essentially. I know I can freely, and without charge, get an ARN number to trade under, at least I think that's what it's called. Just successfully passed my ACS 2231-79 Network Security yesterday =] yay! Looking at migrating from the UK asap!

Hope you're all having a lovely 37 degrees eve =]

Hi,

I have a company, a trust and a couple of businesses and am on a SIR 495 and did not have a problem, what kind of bussiness are you looking to set up, getting qualifications recognised and licencing may be the biggest issue rather than getting the ABN (Austraian Business Number) and registering a company.:)

Simon

Just re read your post, maybe it's network security your into, look carefully at licencing

Guest ReadyPenny

Sean is self-employed with an ABN number, registered for GST etc etc but we are on the 175 visa. As far as I am aware, but I could be wrong, there were no grants etc available for starting up, unlike the UK. I suppose it depends on the kind of business you set up though as well, and whether you will work from home or be leasing property to operate from etc.

I would take Alan's advice above if I were you, he is an absolute whiz!!! Helps loads of people on here and on other migration forums.

Best wishes and good luck with it all

Mandy

Thanks for the advice so far everyone. I'm looking at setting up an online backup 'cloud' utility and marketing it to the larger businesses in Adelaide. This will probably be something I'd look at seriously at a later date once all the funds are available. It would be something that I'd run alongside a day-to-day job as it would take care of itself. If my plan is not really marketable, I'd probably look at contracting in the IT sector. As far as I'm aware, this would normally be done through agencies, but I've never contracted before, so I was looking at what the requirements were if you're on a 176 visa...I checked out GST and guess that you won't know whether you need to register for GST unless your income is over 75,000. I'm guessing that this applies if you're self employed? It would probably take a year of trading to work out whether you need to register for GST or not?

Guest ReadyPenny

That's true, but registering anyway won't do you any harm. It's simple enough to do, the ATO (Australian Tax Office) send you a BAS return (Business Activity Statement) once a quarter and you simply fill inthe amount of GST on sales, the amount on purchases, take one from the other, and pay the difference.

It's not like it costs you anythiing personally, it's just a simple in and out transaction, you just hold on to the money for a short while before handing it over to the Government!!!! We had a rough idea that we would have to register,therefore we just did it from day one, to make life simpler!!

Mandy

You can voluntarily register for the GST if you are conducting a business in Australia.

=> Worth considering if your clients/customers are themselves fully GST registered as they can fully recover the GST you charge on your supplies, while you can recover GST on your costs.

=> More difficult a decision if you are supplying goods or services to the public, as not being GST registered will give you a cost advantage compared with a business that is having to charge the GST on its supplies.

Best regards.

You can voluntarily register for the GST if you are conducting a business in Australia.

=> Worth considering if your clients/customers are themselves fully GST registered as they can fully recover the GST you charge on your supplies, while you can recover GST on your costs.

=> More difficult a decision if you are supplying goods or services to the public, as not being GST registered will give you a cost advantage compared with a business that is having to charge the GST on its supplies.

Best regards.

Thanks very much for the advice Alan...muchos respect! On a different subject, I heard that for the 176 Online Application for SA, you're limited to 1500 characters (not words!) for your reasons for wanting to migrate to SA. The section is:

Sponsorship is provided on the basis that you will live and work in South Australia when you are granted your visa. In your own words, please outline what you know about SA and why you wish to make it your home

Can anybody verify this? I've spent almost 12 hours writing up thousands of words already! If this is correct, it's going to be a nightmare to condense all of this information!